Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group/Wiki Loves Earth 2018 in Cameroon
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
- Wiki Loves Earth Cameroon 2018
- Increasing number of freely licensed images of preserved areas and natural monuments in Cameroon;
- Raising awareness of nature protection through the photographs uploaded during the competition;
- Improving the quality of the content on Wikimedia projects by providing images to the articles;
- Creating and improving existing articles in Wikipedia by providing pictures;
- Raising awareness of free licences among photographers in Cameroon;
- Recruiting new contributors to Wikimedia Commons;
- Increasing local media coverage about Wikimedia projects.
- Engage existing editors
- Consolidate collaboration with Cameroon photographers
- Introduce photographers community to available resources from WMF;
- Presentation of the contest / launching with a press conference : 1 event in mid-june
- Workshop about the events and how to participate : 1 event in Yaounde and 1 event in Buea, end-june
- Uploads session : 6 events
- 1 closing ceremony with team and invited guests and celebration of local winners
- Photo exhibition (15 images) at Douala
- Post contest integration edit-a-thon : 1 event to be held in September
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community? National parks, reserves and zoos
- The main gola of this contest consists on taking pictures of national parks, reserves, zoos in Cameroon and uploading them to Wikimedia Commons.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- This is the 2nd edition of the contest in Cameroon in addition to the network built during the photo contest Wiki Loves Africa
- Creation of posters, T-shirts and flyers.
- Develop a media coverage
- The contact with the media and social networks created during previous competitions
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- A jury will be in charge of ranking. Award prizes are detailed here
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- Measures of success for WLE
- More than 500 photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
- 30 participants uploading a photo
- 15 newly registered participants
- 15% distinct photos used in Wikipedia articles
- Measures of success for WLE article contest
- 10 users participating
- 15 articles illustrated
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- After Douala, we will expand to the cities of Yaoundé and Buea to cover new sites
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Geugeor (organizing, promotion)
- Nicolas Eyidi (Jury, partnerships)
- Justin Zanou (Jury, partnerships)
- Hako Hankson (Jury, partnerships)
- Pull Up Banner
- Possible partnership of the Fondation Orange
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
We are willing to spend it according to this plan:
|Wiki Loves Earth 2018|
|Awards for participants||1 Tablet Tecno P904; 1 Phone Tecno K8; 1 Phone Tecno F2; 1 Wifi modem Yoomee L02C = 220 000|
|Gifts for jury members||Gift vouchers = 45 000|
|WLE photo expedition (4 regions)||100 000|
|Transport of volunteers||40 000|
|Session in Yaounde and Buea||125 000|
|Press conference||100 000|
|10 Participants and 10 volunteers Tee-shirts||60 000|
|Posters, flyers and conception||100 000|
|Award ceremony and exposition||180 000|
|Upload session||65 000|
|Total||1 035 000|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!