Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Creating Articles in English and Swahili about heritage buildings in Tanzania (as a study case, currently out of 10 buildings, only 1 has an article on Swahili Wikipedia)
- Adding and improving content, improving existing Wikidata items and adding more items to Wikidata (we will start by adding Swahili labels).
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors specifically on Wikidata project
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are going to do 1 in person editathon and a series of at least 2 online workshops aiming to to document the Tanzanian urban fabrics listed as World Heritage (museums,monuments, history, traditions) on Swahili Wikipedia, English Wikipedia, Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons. As well to impact knowledge about GLAM and Wikidata to the community.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- We will use our social media platforms (WhatsApp group, facebook page, Instagram page and Twitter), Wikimedia Tanzania meta page.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, we have at least 5 experienced editors , 3 from Wikimedia Tanzania group (userːJadnapac, UserːCzeus25_Masele and UserːBelindamakoye) and we will have at least 2 global coordinators (user:Yamen from Tunisia) and (User:Nassima Chahboun from Morocco) who will help out to train the trainers/volunteers on Wikidata and GLAM related topics.These trainers will then transfer this knowledge back to the rest of the members of Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Some of the editors have the right equipment and some skills on editing Wikipedia and other WMF projojects. For all who will have no possibility of getting the right equipment for this project, we will rent those devices to be used for the project. Also, since the community isn’t much exposed to GLAM and Wikidata related programs in Tanzania, we think this to be a good start/development of GLAM projects for the Tanzanian Wikimedians.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will do a post-project analysis and survey to ask the participants how helpful the program will be, also we will ask newbies to join our social groups for them to keep posted with the ongoing Wiki activities.Also we will encourage everyone to be open whenever there is a problem so that the team can help addressing them.
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- YES, the editathon will be mainly in-person and at least 2 online editathons (for those who can't attend the in person event.) Please find the Told City project in Tanzania-Assessment Tool Results
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We think this is a great opportunity to document properly the Tanzanian cities such as Stone Town in Zanzibar. Thi project will help to ensure that all the historic buildings of Stone Town in Zanzibar get its own articles on Swahili Wikipedia and some improvements on the existing English Wikipedia articles.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events= 1 in person editathon 2 with a series of at least 2 Wikidata online workshops (1 for training the trainers and 1 for all other members)
- Number of participants=At Least 25 participants (5 trainers plus 20 other participants)
- Number of new editors=At Least 20% of all participants
- Number of Photos about Tanzanian heritage buildings to be uploaded into Wikicommons for the project=at least 200 photos
- At Least 100 wikidata items added/improved
- Number of articles created or improved= At least 15 high quality articles about Tanzanian historic buildings and other heritage buildings recognised by UNESCO.
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)= At least 10 participants
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Antoni Mtavangu-Project Manager
- Clement Makangabila-Online programs coordinator
- Pellagia Njau & Alfredina Manila-Project Facilitators/Moderators
- Paul Mandele-Communications/Coordinator
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Food, drinks and snacks 8USD@person for 30 people= 240USD
- Local prizes for photographers = 300USD (150USD, 100USD and 50USD gift coupons/vouchers will be given to the the 1st, 2nd and 3rd winners respectively)
- Local prizes for editors with best and many contributions=300USD (150USD, 100USD and 50USD gift coupons/vouchers will be given to the the 1st, 2nd and 3rd winners respectively)
- Internet=110USD (35USD for all 25 participants in the 1st in person editathon to be used during the editathon in editing articles and we will support at least 15@5USD=75USD other people who will want to participate in an online editathon.
- Equipment rentals (laptops) at least 3@25 per day for at least 2 days =150USD
- 162USD for Branding (100USD for designing and printing of the banner, 30USD for social media promotion and 32USD for notebooks, pens and sticky notes)
- Transport and food support for at least 4 photographers and at least 2 organizers for a photo hunt on historic buildings in Tanzania and uploading them to Wikicommons for the project=545USD
- Communications=50USD (For at least 5 local facilitators/organizers @10USD for each facilitator to purchase the internet and call bundles needed to attend the training of the trainers, local communication among the facilitators and for any self practise and preparation before the main in person editathon)
- Logistics (travel cost for atleast 2 people to follow up the needs of an event such as bank and stationeries)=45USD
- COVID-19 preventive measures (purchasing masks, soap, hand sanitizer)=̩52USD
- Bank rates and contingency=̯40USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!