Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania/Wiki Loves Africa Tanzania 2020
Copy all in this box below then replace all to the meta page you published that time
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Introduce Wiki Loves Africa 2020 theme to existing and new contributors of wiki commons, and share all about Wiki Loves Africa and its Impact towards reducing African content gap in Wikimedia projects.
- Recruit new contributors (professional photographers and non professional)to wikipedia projects.
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
- Conducting session for photographers, photo hunt and host atleast two events.
- Setup and run photo competition with a focus on collecting quality freely licensed images of Tanzania Transportation to Wiki commons for Wikimedia projects.
- Most of Tanzanian photographers and contributors are online, we will use our WLA social media channels for Tanzania, to promote the project there for both events and guidelines on how to collect and contribute to Wikipedia for those who won’t be able to show on our uploading events and or photo hunt.
- We will at least 2 main events, and do 2 photo hunt, to share knowledge on how to collect best and quality images that can be useful for Wikipedia projects, and hold uploading session during the event to make it exciting and easy for new contributors.
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
Transportation in Tanzania. (There have been a lot of changes in Tanzania transportation ie: New railway, Old railways, Airlines and Rapid transport for urban city like Dar es salaam, on photo hunt we will focus on collecting such types of images)
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Most of Tanzania photographers and contributors are online, we will use WLA social media channels for Tanzania, and promote the project there for both events and guidelines on how to collect and contribute to Wikipedia for those who won’t be able to show on our uploading events and other.
- We will use local partners and database we have built on other Wikimedia projects, for program awareness.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
We will have a jury of five (2 professional photographers,1 Story teller and writer and 2 members from Wikipedia Tanzania user group ) and this jury will include one of last winners of photography competition under wikipedia (WLA Tanzania) on the first prize, they will both follow the judging tool kit. The jury will determine the winner without any interference from the local organizers and volunteers, prize will be in terms of gift cards worthy $200, $100, and $50 where by first winner will receive $200 gift card, second will take away $100 gift card and last one $50gift card.. Jury will follow the following criteria to determine the winner;
- Technical quality
- Originality and Creativity
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
Volunteers and contributors will add all uploaded images to respective articles in Wikimedia projects during and after the contest. We will also use the ISA tool to increase usability of photos in Wikimedia projects.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We will look for local sponsors who has interest into photography and youth empowerment, as well as during reach out we will recruit more youth to be part of this exciting project and other Wikipedia projects.
- We will also find an official permit from government for all photographers who will join photo hunt for a permission to take public pictures and access of restricted areas.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 25 to 40
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 300+
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: at least 50
For writing contests:
- Number of participants
- Number of articles created or improved
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Iddy John - Team Lead, Director of Photography, relation and Mentor
- Alfredina Manila - Events Facilitator
- Paul Mandele - Outreach, Communication and Mentor
- Antoni Mtavangu - Events Organizer and Photo Uploading trainer and project Moderator
- Edwin Bakalemwa - Event Photography
- Pellagia Njau - Events Facilitator
- Clement Makangabila - Social Media coverage
- Sameer (Quality Lead)
- Hanif Abdulrasul (Ownership and Quality)
- Iddy John
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 1 USD = 2,303.88 Tshs as of 4th Dec 2019 
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (TSh)||Rate (USD)||Total (USD)||’Summary'|
|Event One||Venue||1||00||$200||$200||This includes first launch event and the last closing event. (Both Venue and Snacks)|
|Branding & Stationaries||3T-shirts,Wikipedia wristbands and key holders||10||00||$7||$70||T-shirt will be given to contributors who has uploaded a good number and quality photos, as well as to participants who has exceptional contributions during competition as determined by the jury.|
|Stickers & Badges||100||00||$0.5||$50|
|Communications & Outreach||Transport||4||00||20||80||Internet will be used during events for photo uploading, and events such as photo hunt will occur for the purpose of collecting monuments photos in a group.|
|Photo hunt (Photo Walk)||2||00||$200||$400||Amount will be spent for transport and food for those will join the photo hunt, targeted area will be announced, and about 10 to 20 photographers will participate.|
|Social Media (Promotion)||5||00||$10||$50|
|Closing Ceremony||Awards||(1st,2nd,3rd)||00||$350||$350||The award will be given in terms of gift cards and certificates. We will give amazon e-gift cards worthy $200 to the first winner, $100 to the second winner and $50 to the third one. All cards details will carry winners information, winners can spend e-cards on their choice.|
|Event Two||1||00||$200||$200||This event will be hosted on a different venue, the plan is to hold this event for three hours at National Museum of Dar es salaam and have at-least 40 people to attend.|
|Drinks and Snacks||1||Tsh 00||$120||$120|
|Total: USD $1745|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!