Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedia Community Arusha/Women in Wiki - Awareness and Training
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Create awareness about the Wikimedia Movement to women in Tanzania.
- Develop skills for Women as new editors in Swahili Wikipedia.
- Recruit new editors
- Add or improve content in Swahili Wikipedia
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are planning to conduct a series of trainings
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- There are established social media channels (WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram) for the Wikimedia Community Arusha which the community will be informed about the proposal. Also we will inform the community via the community's meta page here.
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- Social media channels, physical outreach to women in universities.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User:I JethroBT
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Participants won't necessarily have the skills as they are new but they may have the equipment to participate. We will support the new participants through conducting a series of training which will develop their skills.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- All participants will be asked to join social platforms for example WhatsApp and Telegram groups.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- Here is the link to the completed COVID-19 risk assessment[]
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This is the first event that we are looking forward to engage women only so as to bridge the gender gap.The project will have the series of four events.Here is the plan of the project:
- First event-awareness creation and training on the Wikimedia Movement and its projects
- Second event-Intensive training on Wikipedia and practical hands on experience on Swahili Wikipedia
- Third event-Practical hands on experience on Swahili Wikipedia
- Forth event-Improving content based on previous contributions and skills acquired assessment
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events - 4
- Number of participants - 20
- Number of new editors - 16
- Number of of articles created or improved - 50
- Number of repeat participants - 10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Gladness Gibson - Event manager
- Christian Anold- Event manager
- Eben Mlay - Event facilitator
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Food and Drinks 259.728 * 4 = 1,038.91 USD
- Internet support - 38.9592 * 4 = 155.837 USD
- Local Transport (for the participants and event organizers while making arrangements for the events) - 173.152 * 4 = 692.608 USD
- Venue - 56.2744 * 4 = 225.098 USD
- Stationary, Branding and Graphics Designing – 43.2880 * 4 = 173.152 USD
- Logistics, Outreach and :Communications(Data,call and sms bundles for the organizers) - 32.4660* 4 = 129.864 USD
- COVID 19 precaution measures - 86.5761 USD
- Equipment rent (laptops and Routers) -60.6032* 4 = 242.413 USD
- Tshirts (for organizers) 10.8220* 4 = 43.2880 USD
- Bank charges and contingency - 86.5761 USD
- Total = 2,874.33 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!