Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedia Community Arusha/Africa Wiki Challenge 2022 in Arusha
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Bridge the African content content through contributing content based on African culture in Swahili Wikipedia.
- Recruit and train new editors to contribute to Wikipedia
- Engage existing editors to participate in contributing to Swahili Wikipedia
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The content of the contest will focus on bridging the African content gap by adding new articles on African culture. It is important because it brings awareness and understanding of different African culture that would be of value. Contributing to this contest allows for the Wikimedia Community Arusha to achieve its goal of bridging the content gap in Swahili Language.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- There are established social media channels (WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram) for the Wikimedia Community Arusha which the community will be informed about the proposal. Also we will inform the community via the community's meta page here.
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- Participants will be informed via the social media channels and physical outreach to youth communities.
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
- The articles will be judged based on
- Quality of the article created - 1 point
- Number of quality references added to an article - 0.5 point @quality reference
- Number of bytes added - 1 point @1000
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- Here is the link to the completed COVID-19 risk assessment. 
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project? The contest will involve a series of two events as follows;
- First event-Introduction to the challenge and a refresher training on the best practices in creating Wikipedia articles
- Second event-Reviewing articles created, identifying point of improvement and article creation.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For writing contests:
- Number of participants-40
- Number of new editors-10
- Number of articles created or improved -150+
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Gladness Gibson - Event manager
- Christian Anold- Event facilitator
- Eben Mlay - Lead trainer
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Awards (85USD, 65USD and 50USD gift vouchers for 1st, 2nd and 3rd winners respectively) - 200USD
- Food, Snacks, and drinks: 8USD * 40 * 2 events=640USD
- Venue - 57 * 2= 114 USD (for 2 in-person events)
- Internet support during in-person sessions - 38.9592 * 2 = 77.9184 USD
- Transport reimbursement for participants: 8 USD X 40 Participants * 2= 640 USD
- Coordination and Communication for facilitators & Bank rates)=150 USD
- Souvenirs for judges selected to judge the articles – 150 USD
- Total = 1,971.9184 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!