Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimédiens du Bénin User Group/Wiki Loves Monuments 2020 in Benin
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To introduce Wiki Loves Monuments contest to existing and new contributors of Wikimedia commons, and share all about Wiki Loves Monuments and its purpose.
- To recruit loyal contributors (professional photographers and non-professional) to Wikipedia and its sister projects.
- To engage existing contributors and encourage them to continue contributing even when the contest is over.
- To increase or improve contents on Wikimedia Commons with freely licensed, and quality images of Benin monuments.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- Images of Benin monuments, archaeological sites, and cultural heritage are not adequately covered on Wikimedia Commons. This contest is an opportunity to contribute high-quality images of these monuments, archaeological sites, and cultural heritage to Wikimedia Commons.
- It will help to increase the awareness of Wikimedia projects
- The workshop under this project will help to correct the wrong impression about Wikimedia movements in Benin
- It will help to introduce the basics of Wikimedia Commons and Wikimedia projects to many Beninese
- It will help to increase the number of contributors to Wikimedia Commons and other Wikimedia projects
- It will help to increase the number of Benin-related contents on Wikimedia Commons
- It will help to increase the contents on Fon Wikipedia incubator project
- The contest will help to establish a long term relation with professional photographers
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Offline: No offline activity will behold this year, due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Online: We will use social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram ) and websites to reach people online.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- A jury of 4 professional and passionate photographers will judge individual entries and award them based on the criteria of the contest.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We will have online edit-a-thons focused on using some of these uploaded images into existing articles on Wikipedia. We will also create new articles based on these images and the list of Benin monuments at the edit-a-thons. Our experience of the Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos contest will help us to improve these activities.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- 25 people participates
- 500 images are uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
- 75 of uploaded images are used on wiki projects
- 15 monuments are photographed
For writing contests:
- Number of participants: 20
- Number of articles created or improved: 20
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Fawaz.tairou (talk), Project Lead
- Adoscam (talk), Partnership
- Azogbonon (talk), Partnership
- Mah3110 (talk), Support
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 1 USD = 574.078 FCFA (XOF) as of July, 20th 2020 
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (USD)||Total (USD)||Summary|
|Internet connection||For participants||5||$88||$440||4G Internet Data for 20 participants at each event (50,000 XOF x 5) / 1 launch event and 4 online sessions (1 session per week).
1 month Internet connexion for each team member
|For Team members||4||$44||$176|
|Branding||T-Shirts||5||$7.5||$37.5||T-shirts for organizers/staff to wear during online events|
|Communications||Zoom pro account||1||$15||$15||1 month Zoom pro account.
Communication and ads (online only)
|Social Media (Promotion)||5||$10||$50|
|Awards||Prizes||(1st,2nd,3rd)||$450||$450||1st prize $200, 2nd prize $150, 3rd prize $100
Internet access for jury members.
Gifts for jury members (Wiki loves monuments mugs)
|Total: USD 1312.5|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!