Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Primary project goals include:
- To spread awareness about contributing to Wikipedia and its sister projects
- To encourage photographic societies across India to contribute to Wikimedia Commons
- To increase the number of freely licensed photographs about the uniformed services in India
- To increase the number of Quality Images of Indian uniformed services in Wikimedia Commons
- To encourage public and private organisations that encourages photography to participate and contribute to Wikimedia movement in all possible ways
Secondary projects goals include:
- To encourage Indian Wikimedia movement about the importance of organising such contests
- To cultivate matured volunteers who can come up with innovative contests which will contribute to the movement
- To document best practices for any contests to be organised in India. Technically, there are Best Practices available, but they are always regional specific.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- There are about 100 uniformed services in India, and their sub-units, a total of more than 1,500 vivid departments and around 3,000 articles fall under the scope of the project. But many of these articles lack images to identify the subject or get the basic idea. As this it the first iteration of its type, it is difficult to propose the stats. But we expect around 8,000–10,000 images, and about 1000–1500 participants.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Central Notice across Wikimedia projects; to be directed to project page.
- Notifying all the local Indic language communities, for making sure that the news is spread to as many as possible.
- We're in talks of having institutional partners such as the Indian Army, the Indian Navy, the Indian Air Force, and all the services mentioned in the scope to contribute their images to Commons. If this succeeds, the project is likely to gain tremendous success.
- Media coverage
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes? The jury will determine the winners of the international contest by the following criteria (in no particular order):
- A good photo has a good story to tell.
- A good photo emphasizes on the chief elements, it focuses on the story's main element.
- A good photo removes all unnecessary distractions from the chief element, so that the latter is not out the focus.
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects.
- Technical quality – Image parameters such as focus, lighting, saturation, ISO etc. will be taken into consideration.
The jury comprises of 4 members with expertise in the field of services and photography. Prizes will be in terms of money and a certificate. Swags will also be shipped to them. Details are mentioned in Budget section.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- In the introduction, we've mentioned clearly that the image's description must indicate the service to which the image refers to. For example, 4th Group of Delhi Police, 9 Para (SF) of the Indian Army, 45th Helicopter Unit of the Indian Navy etc. So this will easily help the editors to identify the photographs and add them to the respective Wikipedia article and on other projects wherever required.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- With the inspiration drawn from Wiki Loves Monuments and Wiki Loves Food, this contest is the first of its kind. Based upon the outcomes of the contest in India, this may be globalized by respective local communities taking interest.
|Krishna Chaitanya Velaga||Lead coordinator|
|Samanyu Kasukurthi||Assistant coordinator|
|Colonel Ashwin Baindur (retd.)||Lead judge|
|Diego Delso||Qualitative stream|
|Colonel Ravi Shankar Vasireddy (retd.)||Subjective stream lead|
|Srikar Kashyap Pulipaka||Subjective stream|
|Ravi Shankar Ayyakkannu||General|
|For the profiles, please visit the page on Commons.|
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants; 700+ pariticipants are expected
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons; 6,000+ photos to be contributed
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects; at least sixty percent of them to be used
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
(in Indian Rupees)
|Shipping expenses (note 1)||6,500|
|Maintenance tasks (note 2)||2,000|
|Promotions (note 3)||1,500|
|Prizes and Certificates||84,500 (note 4)|
|5th and 6th Prize||5,000 × 2 = 10,000|
|7th and 8th Prize||3,500 × 2 = 7,000|
|9th to 10th Prize||2,500 × 2 = 5,000|
|Lead coordinator's choice||3,000|
|All contributors with more than 200 valid entries||Certificate of Appreciation|
|Photo books & Caps||26,000|
|Photo books (note 5)||18,000|
|Caps (note 6)||8,000|
- Shipping expenses include charges that of mailing the certificates, caps, photo books to the respective targets.
- Maintenance includes printing physical copies of documentation, holding bills of various expenses, contact between coordinators and judges etc.
- Promotions will be primarily done through FB ads within the mentioned limit.
- All the prize amounts mentioned above will be disbursed in the form of
- Photo books will be distributed to Institution Partners, coordinators, jury team and winners. These will comprise photos not only of Wiki Loves Uniformed services (India) 2017, but also of Wiki Loves Earth India and Wiki Loves Food India. 30-40 books are to be printed.
- Caps will be distributed to coordinators, jury team and winners. Not more than 50 caps will be printed.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support This is fantastic idea --Suyash Dwivedi (talk) 15:16, 26 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support -- Swapnil.Karambelkar (talk) 07:19, 27 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support Sankoswal (talk) 04:04, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Like the idea. -Hasive • talk • 09:31, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support -- WMIN wholeheartedly supports this. Based on our experience with organizing WLM, WLE & WLF, we will support the project in full capacity Yohannvt (talk) 05:14, 3 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support - A great idea indeed. ƬheStrikeΣagle 13:00, 9 April 2017 (UTC)