Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The contest will focus on photos. This content is important, as most articles in en:Category:Protected areas of Zambia have no or lack illustrations. This is important to us because the amount of freely licensed photos of natural monuments in Zambia is still low and as time goes by the accessibility and state of the monuments deteriorates due to loop-holes in nature preservation legislation. .
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- We will create posts about the contest on the pages of Wikipedia Zambia on Instagram, Facebook and Chichewa twitter account.
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- Based on previous contests:
- The most important way to advertise the contest will be central notice banner arranged by the international team.
- Communication through our social media accounts on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Posting announcements in local photo and tourism related Facebook groups (quite effective), forums and sites.
- Writing a press release before and after the contest.
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
The jury will consist of 4-5 people from mixed backgrounds and will judge photos in several rounds.
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- The landing page contains links to categories with existing articles on the topic. The list of objects will be used as encouragement to create both articles & pictures about the missing topics.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
Time plan for activities:
- Before May: Preparing alliances
- May: Compiling a list of natural areas
- June-July: Running the competition, posting updates to social media,
- August-September: Making pre-selection for the jury. Jury work, deciding local winners. 10 best photos will be submitted to the international contest. Evaluating the project. An award ceremony to be held in this time period pulse a press release about the project.
- October-November Compiling the report. Showcasing best work on social media.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 30
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons:400
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 150
For writing contests:
- Number of participants: 10
- Number of articles created or improved:25
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
We have an experienced team of 3 editors who will participate in logistical organization
- Isaac Kanguya - Organizer and Coordinator
- Imanga Kayama - Partnership
- Edward Phiri - Support (Social Media Content Manager)
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
1 USD = 17.85 ZMW as of 03 April 2022
- Project budget table
|Category||Item||Quantity||Rate (ZMW)||Total (ZMW)||Explanations|
|Pre-Implementation||Graphical designs (Posters & flyers)||1||2500||2500||This amount will cover the design of Posters and flyers for our social media ads.|
|Communication outreaches||1||6500||6500||Will be used for social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter), Newspaper outlets (To have our Press release published in the national newspaper) other means of mass communication for advertising the contest with an aim of reaching out so many people.
- ZK 1500 for social - ZK 5000 each for onlinie publications
|Communication (Phone calls/Internet Data) plus Transportation||1||4100||4100||ZK 3300 for 2 months Data Subcriptions.
ZK 800 Talk time for the team members that is ZMW 200 for each member
|Covid 19 Kit||1||1,500||1500||This will cover for the Hand sanitizer, Face masks for those that might not come with any.|
|Implementation:||Certificates||30||90||2700||This will act as an appreciation & recognition to everyone who will have participated in project.|
|Prizes inform of Gift Vouchers||1||5200||5200||Awards to be given to the top 4 participants given in form of vouchers worth.
ZK 2000 for the first price
ZK 1500 for the second Prize
ZK 1000 for the third
ZK 700 for last.
|Gift to the Jury Coordinator||3||500||1500||Gifts voucher will be given to the judges as the appreciation. Each will get ZK 500 gift cards|
|Venue||1||4200||16800||The venue will host the opening and officially lunch the 2022 WLE competition and we want to have a award Ceremony at the end and during the award we will have some snacks. We are getting this venue for 4 days to offically kick start the competion and then host a edit-a-thons|
|Drinks & Snacks||1||11780||11780|
|Administrative cost||1500||1500||This should cover the bank fees and also FX fluctuation.|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support . This will help Zambian Natural sites get noticed.