Please see the sample Travel application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Increase awareness of WikiFundi among global education organisations
- Expand network of potential partners and users
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What is the purpose of the event you're attending and why is it important that you attend?
- Held annually at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, the event convenes experts from around the world to share how affordable and powerful mobile technology – from basic handsets to the newest tablet computers – can accelerate learning for all, particularly people living in disadvantaged communities. Each year the event has a specific theme to focus discussions. We would like two members of the Wiki In Africa team (User: Anthere and User: Islahaddow) to attend in order to take full advantage of the partnership opportunities offered at the event, especially where knowledge of, and ability to discuss opportunities with, Anglophone and Francophone educations organisations will be valuable.
2. Will you be presenting at the event?
- The focus of this conference is on AI, however we are negotiating with the organisers to have WikiFundi posters put up, the WikiFundi closed area network on, and a demonstration included in the programme.
3. What kind of outreach activity do you plan to do?
- We are asking for permission to plug WikiFundi in at the venue for people to play with and hand out flyers inviting delegates to explore.
- If allowed by the organisers, we will do a programme scheduled demonstration
- Contact with and conversations with potential partners, education organisations and users
4. How will you let other participants know about your outreach activity?
- We hope to display the WikiFundi, WikiChallenge African Schools and WikiAfrica Schools posters at the event.
- As mentioned above we will distribute leaflets about WikiFundi at the venue with requests for people to connect to WikiFundi and explore for themselves.
5. Do you have a specific networking plan? (e.g. specific people, organizations, groups you would like to develop partnerships with)
- This is still to be decided on, however we will be looking in to connecting with the relevant programmes at UNESCO, and other attendees
- We are also keen to meet up with the WMF Education team that will be attending
6. What is your plan to follow-up with new contacts?
- Email and remote meetings will be follow-up activities
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets as applicable:
- Number of attendees: 2
- Number of demonstrations: 2
- Number of new potential partners: 3-5 continental or global education organisations
What resources do you have? Include in-kind donations or additional funding.
- Stickers, posters, and leaflets
- Video for follow up explanation
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Travel and accommodation assistance (registration has already been done) for two members:
- flights (CPT - PAR) = EUR 650
- flights/train (MAR - PAR) = EUR 200
- accommodation = EUR 500
- per diems (EUR 50/pp/day) = EUR 400
- TOTAL required =EUR 1750
Anthere also asked for the train reimbursement to Wikimedia France. Naturally, reimbursement will not be taken twice in charge by two different orgs.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Mobile Learning Week is the largest ICTs in education conference run by the UN, its attended by a very wide range of people including people from government (including ministers), NGOs, universities, UN staff and teachers working in challenging environments e.g refugee camps. I've attended the past three years and every year at least ten presentations each year include the use of Mediawiki and/or Wikipedia. Sharing information on WikiFundi there will be a real benefit to the project and to attendees. I have secured a presentation table for Wikimedia to display projects and will discuss with Isla her needs. John Cummings (talk) 16:55, 6 February 2019 (UTC)
- The Wikimedia Movement will have a table for the entirety of Mobile Learning Week and the more Wikimedians we can get there to support, the better. It would be wonderful to be able to have demos of Wiki Fundi and posters about Wiki Africa Schools, etc. I strongly endorse this request. NSaad (WMF) (talk) 00:58, 7 February 2019 (UTC)