Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- With this project, a new BUB tool will be developed by removing all the issues that prevail in the existing version with better interface, control and management. The editors will be able to upload books from the existing libraries such as Google Books, Gallica, Brasiliana-USP, HathiTrust etc. to [archive.org Internet Archive] and then with the help of IA Upload tool, these books will be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. For every book uploaded successfully, an e-mail will be sent to the uploader.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- I will develop an open-source web application on React and Node.js. The same will be hosted on WMF server. I will spend my time writing code for frontend on React with Redux and maintaining the backend code on Node.js. The users will upload books that belong to public domain from different libraries. For every book they will see a queue in which they can track the progress of the uploaded book. On successful completion, the user will be notified by e-mail. The user then will have the option to upload the same to Wikimedia Commons. If in any case the book uploading failed during some point, he/she will also be notified of the same. I will maintain the code and will be responsible for working and resolving issues and updates.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- I will share the project details with all Indic Wikipedia User Groups by mailing lists, WhatsApp groups and IRC. Wikipedians from Bengal Wikipedia User Group will be testing the application because they were the most frequent users of the BUB tool.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- At the end of the project, the new BUB tool will be created with better interface and control. I will keep following-up with the testers and user groups for issues and notify them about future releases.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants: 1,000
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable): N/A
- Number of media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable): 2,000
- Number of media used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable): 500
- Number of media uploaded to Internet Archive: 4,000
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- I do not have any additional source of funding. I will be developing the web app. However, since it is open-source, any one will be able to open issues and pull requests.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
|Grantee||Role||Job Description||Commitment||Development Time||Cost|
||30 hrs/week||12 weeks||$1998.41|
- Based on salary of 5.55 USD/hr at 30 hrs/week. (Based on exchange rate of 1 USD = Rs 68.41 on August 04, 2018).
- Support --07:33, 6 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support - much needed tool for Wikisource editors. -- Bodhisattwa (talk) 01:04, 7 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support - I know Anmol, and he his passion for BUB (saw him hacking on it several times). Hence, my endorsement. 01tonythomas (talk) 20:19, 7 August 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support - I am not well aware of the intricacies of the BUB project. However, what I can vouch for is Anmol's integrity. I am sure he will do justice to the project and create the BUB tool necessary for Wikisource editors. -- User:Rogueassasin123
- Support KCVelaga (talk) 12:44, 11 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support - Most needed tool for all wikisource. Jayantanth (talk) 19:13, 11 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support - Would be beneficial for Wikisource. Sumitsurai (talk) 21:57, 13 August 2018 (UTC)