Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Project Goal edit
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
Project Plan edit
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- We will focus on photos of Portuguese monuments that currently do not have photos on Wikimedia Commons. There are currently more than 4000 monuments listed with only 38% of them with photos on Wikimedia Commons (c:Commons:Monuments_database/Statistics).
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We will use the sitenotice geolocated to Portugal and Village pups on Portuguese Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata, use Wikimedia Portugal social networks and mailing lists to advertize the contest and the prizes.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- Photos will be jugded by a jury. Prizes will be given to the best three images, and the top 10 will be sent to the international competition.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- From the 2011 edition, we have a 16% rate of use of the uploaded images (). However the list of unused photos currently lists only three monuments that have photos on Commons but these are not used on Wikipedia. This means that perhaps there is some redundancy on the photos currently on commons portraying the same monuments. Hopefully by focusing on monuments that do not have photos on WM Commons, we can also increase the percentage of images used on the projects.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We will have a special category for monuments built during the Classic Era, in collaboration with the WikiClassics user group.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 150
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 1000-2000
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 200-400
For writing contests:
- Number of participants
- Number of articles created or improved
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The organizing team consists of four people, DarwIn, Alchimista, Waldir, and myself. Waldir and Alchimista will provide techical assistance migrating the 2011 monuments database from http://www.wikilovesmonuments.org.pt/monumentos.php to WikiData, which will be done by DarwIn in the next few days. DarwIn and I will write the rules of the contest and promote the competition in the media mentioned above, and respond to participants inquiries.
WikiClassics will arrange the funding for the prize on the special Classic period category.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Prizes: Gift cards for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photos, of 425, 225 and 125 euros respectively, plus a special prize of 125€ for the photographer that covers the major number of monuments previously without any photo on Commons.
- Total ammount: 900 euros.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Photo contests have a very consistent track of having the quality and quantity of user participation (especially new users) greatly improved when meaningful prizes are available. A nice set of prizes, as proposed, will serve as a powerful incentive both for new user attraction, but also for the involvement of the established community. The Wikimedia community in Portugal is still small, and Wikimedia Portugal is focusing its efforts in building up both numbers and capacities of that community - and WLM style quality photographers are very much welcomed. Second, but also very important, the quality and quantity of the photos on monuments will be greatly useful for improving the content about our national heritage, specially the ones still without any image, as we plan to give a special prize for that category. - Darwin Ahoy! 19:52, 15 August 2019 (UTC)
- If this grant request and the Brazilian affiliate grant request are successful --as they should!--, we will have a historical opportunity to foster community engagement. Community disengagement has been indicated as a major weakness in previous WLMs in Portuguese. A WMPT-led WLM will also mean we will be able to share among affiliate members and the broader community resources and infrastructure developed as well as devise collaboratively new strategies to organize and disseminate this contest. Good luck, my friends! --Joalpe (talk) 13:38, 17 August 2019 (UTC)