Grants:Project/Rapid/UG LV/Wiki Loves Earth Latvia 2018/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
We manged to successfully run Wiki Loves Earth 2018 photo competition. However we did not meet some of our quantitative goals set in grant proposal.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|1000 photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||925||Goal was almost reached, depended of several prolific contributors.|
|30 participants uploading a photo||32|
|15 newly registered participants||22|
|15% distinct photos used in Wikipedia articles||8%||Lots of images came from a few areas near biggest city and not that many new objects were covered.|
|mentions in 5 different noteworthy web sites||0||No notable media sites published our press release.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- A different person with fresh view worked on social media accounts (mostly Facebook) and that brought more attention than previously.
- Awards ceremony was well attended by local community members.
- In addition to using lists of protected areas, we had developed interactive map based on Wikidata. That was new for this year.
- What did not work so well?
- Pre-contest press release was not published and no mentions on noteworthy news outlets. Although we didn't gain any publicity from notable news outlets, some school and youth organizations published the press release on their websites.
- Half of winners did not attend awards ceremony.
- Awards ceremony was delayed because of summer plans of many involved participants. The initial plan was too time restricted.
- What would you do differently next time?
- One person had 5 images in top 10. We already implemented a limit of 3 images per person in Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 to avoid discouraging other participants to take part.
- The design of the lists of protected areas suggested to focus mostly on national parks and nature reserves.
- More preperation work on gaining the contacts of schools for more outreach among the youth.
- More personal approach to spreading the information - visiting schools, youth organizations, public events and so on.
- Awards ceremony would happen in autumn to attract more attendees.
Grant funds spent edit
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
Funds were spent mostly for prizes of competition and organizing awards ceremony.
All costs are displayed in EUR. Sums in USD were calculated using exchange rate the 1st September 2018.
|Awards for participants||600||600||Gift cards|
|Gifts for jury members||80||80||Gift cards|
|Venue for awards ceremony & snacks||60||42.61||Venue, snacks|
|Traveling or shipping expenses for people who are not living in the capital||50||0||Did not need|
|Miscellaneous||50||20.64||Envelopes, bank fees and transfers|
Remaining funds edit
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
96.75 EUR (112.33 USD) remaining
We would like to use remaining funds for a similar grant: organizing Wiki Loves Monuments photo competition.
Anything else edit
Anything else you want to share about your project?