Project Goal edit
- Increasing the number of freely licensed images of preserved areas and natural monuments in Latvia;
- Raising awareness of nature protection through the photographs uploaded during the competition;
- Improving the quality of the content on Wikimedia projects by providing images to the articles;
- Creating and improving existing articles in Wikipedia by providing pictures;
- Raising awareness of free licences among photographers in Latvia;
- Recruiting new contributors to Wikimedia Commons;
- Increasing local media coverage about Wikimedia projects;
- Informing the youth about nature preservation and media copyrights;
- Informing nature enthusiast organizations about the possibily to contribute to Wikimedia projects;
- Highlighting the need to document nature monuments at their current state.
Project Plan edit
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The contest will focus on pictures of natural protected areas and natural monuments in Latvia. We have published a list of protected areas based on official lists by state agency. The amount of freely licenced photos of natural monuments in Latvia is low and as time goes by the accessibility and state of the monuments deteriorates due to loop-holes in nature preservation legislation.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- The most important way to advertise the contest will be central notice banner arranged by the international team.
- Posting announcements in local photo and tourism related forums and sites.
- Writing a press release before and after the contest.
- Communication through our social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook) which have limited reach;
- Information about the contest will be sent to nature enthusiast organizations, schools and youth organizations.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- The jury will consist of 4-5 people from mixed backgrounds and will judge photos in several rounds, using Montage jury tool which we used for previous editions of Wiki Loves Earth and Wiki Loves Monuments. We will try to include photography and nature protection expert, as well as a wikimedian.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- The lists of objects contain links to already existing articles on the topic. The community will be encouraged to create articles about the missing topics. Social media will be used to promote quality images without an article on the topic.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The project will go on even if not funded. We have run Wiki Loves Monuments without funding and still received several hundred pictures.
- Time plan for activities:
- Before May: Preparing announcement texts, promoting contest through social media, sending announcements to some media, youth and nature enthusiast organizations.
- May: Running the competition, posting updates to social media, making pre-selection for the jury. Publicly announced photo expedition to a less covered region.
- June: Jury work, deciding local winners. 10 best photos will be submitted to the international contest.
- Start of July: Awards ceremony for local winners. Follow-up press release.
- July: Evaluating the project and compiling the report. Showcasing best work in social media.
- 1000 photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
- 30 participants uploading a photo
- 15 newly registered participants
- 15% distinct photos used in Wikipedia articles
- mentions in 5 different noteworthy web sites
|Awards for participants||600|
|Gifts for jury members||80|
|Venue for awards ceremony & snacks||60|
|Traveling or shipping expenses for people who are not living in the capital||50|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Latvian Wikipedia is still not enough covered with good quality images. Perfect possibility to improve that! Biafra (talk) 04:54, 23 April 2018 (UTC)
- Latvia organised Wiki Loves Earth last year and were quite successful (this was their first year in WLE) and achieved reasonably good results. A new edition of Wiki Loves Earth would help improve coverage of Latvian natural heritage and support further development of Latvian community. The grant proposal is very reasonable and is worth funding — NickK (talk) 15:37, 24 April 2018 (UTC)