Project Goal edit
- Increasing amount of freely licensed images of Latvian cultural monuments;
- Raising awareness of cultural heritage through the photographs uploaded during the competition;
- Improving the quality of the content on Wikimedia projects by providing images to the articles;
- Raising awareness of free licences among photographers in Latvia;
- Recruiting new contributors to Wikimedia Commons from photographers community;
- Increasing local media coverage about Wikimedia projects.
- Highlighting the need to document cultural monuments at their current state.
- Increasing follower count to our committee's social media accounts.
Project Plan edit
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The contest will focus on pictures of cultural heritage in Latvia. We have made a list of cultural monuments available online based on official monument lists by state agency. The list contains over 7000 different monuments. This list has been migrated to Wikidata and we want to enrich it with more images. The amount of freely licenced photos of cultural heritage monuments in Latvia is low and as time goes by the accessibility and state of the monuments deteriorates.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- The most important way to advertise the contest will be central notice banner arranged by the international team.
- Posting announcements in local photo and tourism related forums and sites.
- Writing a press release before and after the contest with hopes that it will be published.
- Communication through our social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook)
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- The jury will consist of 4-5 people from mixed backgrounds and will judge photos in several rounds, using proven jury tool "Montage", which we have used in previous contests. We will try to include photography and heritage expert, as well as a wikimedian.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- The lists of monuments contain links to already existing articles on the topic. The community will be encouraged to create articles about the missing topics. Social media will be used to promote quality images without an article on the topic.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
Time plan for activities:
- Before September: Preparing announcement texts, promoting contest through social media, sending announcements to some media.
- September: Running the competition, posting updates to social media, pre-selection for the jury. Photo expedition to less covered region.
- October: Jury work, deciding local winners. 10 best photos will be submitted to the international contest.
- Start of November: Awards ceremony for local winners. Follow-up announcements in media which posted our press releases.
- November: Evaluating the project and compiling the report. Showcasing best work in social media.
- 2000 photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
- 50 participants uploading a photo
- 25 newly registered participants
- 10% distinct photos used in Wikipedia articles
- mentions in 5 different noteworthy web sites
- Papuass, grant, reporting, promotion, awards ceremony
- Voll, work with monument lists
- AgrisR, promotion, partnership with state agency
|Awards for participants||600|
|Gifts for jury members||80|
|Venue for awards ceremony & snacks||60|
|Traveling or shipping expenses for people who are not living in the capital||50|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!