Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
- Add or improve content
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
The overall purpose of this Wiki Loves Earth contest is to increase the amount of freely-licensed material (especially photos) related to Greek protected natural sites in Wikimedia Commons, and improve the quality and quantity of Wikipedia articles about them, including illustrating the articles with the uploaded pictures. If the project is successful, more people will know not only about Wikipedia, but also about Wikimedia Commons and new users will be engaged in the projects. Additionally, the Wikimedia movement and the local chapters will gain visibility within the involved communities. Within this scope, we are asking funding to finance the cost of the prizes for the contest winners, and the cost of promotion for the contest.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Launching a website, community notification in Agora (el.wp village pump, wikiel mailing list, other relevant mailing lists, etc.)
- Promoting the competition through the use of social networks and photo-oriented web sites.
- Press release announcing the competition just some days before the starting date (we will try to have press coverage also during the contest)
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
The entries will be judged by a jury consisting of WMUG members, photography experts and el-wiki users. We are especially happy about the jury composition in our previous contests, since we managed to include amateur and professional photographers, critics, field experts e.t.c. To award the prizes, an award ceremony will be held, most probably (in fall 2017? TBD) in Athens (might be moved to Thessaloniki if the majority of the winners are from the northern parts of Greece). In case the top 3 winners can't come on their own means, we'll try to cover their expenses in order to have them at the ceremony (within reasonable cost). For those winners that can't make it to the award ceremony, their poster, certificate and/or other prize will be sent by mail.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
We will try to organize an editathon for the addition of the contest images in articles. In any case, users will be notified that new material about Greek protected areas has been added at Commons and encouraged to use it.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants: 200
- Number of photos uploaded: 2500
- Number of new users: 180
- 4 months after the contest, 200 (or 10%) of photos are used on wiki projects
- 4 months after the event, 50 (or 6%) of uploaded photos are categorized as valued, quality or featured
- 20 new areas be photographed
Resoures and risksEdit
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Members of UG
- Individual wikimedians
- Professional and amateur photographers that helped as during the previous contests
Our team has organized a multitude of events including Science Photo Competition 2015, Wiki Loves Earth 2016, and Wiki Loves Monuments 2016, with very good results.
- A risk could be the one of low participation, because of insufficient advertisement. A localised CentralNotice banner has been proved (during the last competition) to provide high visibility to the project. We also plan to communicate with public organisations to create some activities or at least advertise the competition.
- A connected risk would be to have a big grant prize for a small number of participants. For this reason we didn't set the prizes very high.
- Technical difficulties with the jury tool. We had this problem during the Science Photo Competition, and had to install and configure another one. But now we already know how to configure and use it.
Project budget tableEdit
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Prizes||prizes for the best photographs and best contributors||n/a||3||n/a||900.00||EUR||Prizes will be awarded to the three best photographs (1st prize: €400.00, 2nd prize: €300.00, 3rd prize: €200.00.|
|2||Posters||posters with the logo and the awarded photographs||unit||10||21.00||210.00||EUR||Top ten winners will be awarded an A1 size poster of their photo with the official logo of the competition.|
|3||Venue||venue for the award ceremony||unit||1||200.00||200.00||EUR||We will try to book a downtown venue we have used before, at a very reasonable price, however we can also look at free-of-charge options.|
|4||Certificates||certificates for the awarded photographs and jury members||pack of 25||pack||11.00||11.00||EUR||Certificates with the names of the awarded photographers and their finishing position will be delivered during the Award ceremony. Similarly, certificates will be given to the jury members for their participation.|
|5||Traveling expenses||traveling expenses||n/d yet||n/a||200.00||EUR||for flying in organisers as required. TBD for top 3 winners|
|6||Fees, commissions, etc||Banking fees||transaction||n/a||n/a||30.00||EUR||transactions for receiving money, banking fees for payments (prizes and other).|
|7||Beverages/snacks||soft drinks and snacks (sweets or treats e.t.c.) for the award ceremony||n/a||n/a||n/a||100.00||EUR|
|8||Incidentals||expenses that are not projected in the budget but may still occur||n/a||n/a||n/a||165.00||EUR||This item will be generally used to adjust the changes in prices if they occur or to cover some of the incidental expenses that are not anticipated but may later occur as necessary. Adjusted to 10% of the main budget.|
Total cost of projectEdit
Total amount requestedEdit
Additional sources of revenueEdit
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- 1 x Collection 2: Plath
- 1 x Collection 5: 10 shirts
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!