Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new volunteer developers from the continent.
- Create a community of developers on the African continent.
- Participate in solving technical problems from the larger community.
- Increase the awareness of volunteer developer opportunities in Africa.
- Ensure participation from Africa in tech related community events such as Wikimedia Hackathon.
- Promote participation in continental and international programs that will benefit the community (GSoC, Outreachy, etc.).
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
We will be hosting or conducting a 2 days training in Abidjan (Côte d'Ivoire) in collaboration with the Africa Wikimedia Developers (AWMD) Team, to create awareness about the technical or development aspect of the Wikimedia Movement and to build the capacity of participants in areas that they may be lagging yet important to becoming a volunteer developer in the movement.
We hope to achieve this via:
- Awareness creation;
- Training and capacity building;
- Ensuring a continuous communication to enforce a going concern.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- An email will be sent out to the African Mailing List;
- A message will be shared on our Facebook page and group and our  account;
- An email will be sent to the Wikimedia Nigeria mailing list.
- Code.ci, a local partner NGO teaching students programming skills will also notify its members and community through its newsletter and social network.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
We currently have the AWMD Team with experience with this project to lead the event. Also we have experience editors from our community who will support the project.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
Yes, invited participants are experienced developers from Côte d'Ivoire.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
We will ensure sustainability of this project through the initiation or creation of developer communities in Côte d'Ivoire. There will also be constant engagement through the mailing list firstname.lastname@example.org and through the leaders of the communities created.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Have at least 20 people attend the event.
- Recruit a minimum of 15 volunteers.
- Maintain a minimum of 5 active developers at the end of the pilot phase.
- 1/2 of the total number of communities in Africa know about us.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
Team Côte d'Ivoire
Will be coordinating the Ivorian community.
AWMD Team Members & Trainers
- Felix Nartey - Will be responsible for all project management issues, community engagement and will deliver aspect of the training focused on volunteer burnout and significance of the project.
- Alangi Derick - Will be responsible for training and providing technical support to the team and volunteers.
- Samuel Guebo - Will be reponsible for translating into French when needed
- Quim Gil
- Srishti Sethi
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|ITEM||QUANTITY||UNIT PRICE XOF||TOTAL BUDGET XOF||TOTAL BUDGET USD||COMMENTS|
|Ghana||1||450||Return air ticket of team member and presenter.|
|Cameroon||1||700||Return air ticket of team member and presenter.|
|Feeding||8||120||Feeding expenses of trainers for 4 days ($15 *4 days * 2 trainers)|
|Accommodation||3||30 000||90 000||164,35||Shared accommodation for trainers for 3 nights|
|Transportation to and from Airport||1||15000||15000||28,05||Transportation from Airport to Hotel and back|
|Transportation to and from event venue||3||25000||75000||140,25||Transportation from Hotel to Event Venue and back|
|T-shirts||30||5 000||150 000||280,50||Needed as a marketing tool for the event during and after|
|Event Venue||2||50,000||100 000||182,64||Hiring of training facility for two days|
|Food||60||5 000||300 000||558,64||Feeding for an average of 25 participants per day for two days ( 2x25=50) .|
|Internet||1||60 000||60 000||109,58||The program will require internet usage, we plan to buy at least 40G for the two days.|
|Local Transport||3||30 000||90 000||164,38||To cover chattered local transport for 3 days that will convey local organizers (2) and the foreign trainers (2)to and from training centre, including to and from airport|
|Phone calls||1||25 000||25 000||45,66||Cost of phone calls for the execution of the project|
|Total||2944,05||Total amount including both Travel and Event Logistics|
|Amount to be funded||1994,05||Without the travel budget (Amount expected to be funded under Rapid Grant)|
|Travel budget||950||(Will be funded partly by the developer relations team)|
NB: The amount requested to be funded under the rapid grant is 1994,05 USD, to cover event logistics and part of the travel logistics. The amount of 950 USD of the travel logistics will be covered by the developer relations team at the WMF.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- This project has already shown great prospects by ensuring active participation from more than 5 countries with several bugs fixed and merged. Flixtey (talk) 22:46, 17 January 2018 (UTC)
- As a way of fulfilling the Wikimedia mission, Wikipedia is backed by a strong foundation of software engineering on MediaWiki and supporting extensions to make Wikipedia work. Contributions from this part of the continent on the backbone of Wikipedia and its sister projects will be very useful hence fulfilling the Wikimedia mission. --Alangi Derick (talk) 14:56, 18 January 2018 (UTC)