Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- We will focus on getting high-quality photos of monuments and heritage sites in Uganda by engaging photographers and photography schools in different parts of the country as well as getting photos of monuments that don't have any photos on Wikimedia Commons.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We will reach out to past participants, photographer groups and photography schools, then organize photo hunts as well as upload events to encourage participation.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- A jury made up experts in cultural heritage as well as professional photographers will be set up to select the best three photos that will receive prizes. The best 10 photos will be submitted into the international competition.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- To get images to be used on projects, an editathon will be organized alongside the upload event.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The project will also encourage photographers to take Geo Tagged photos so that at the end of the competition a map showing the location of monuments in Uganda will be produced. Wiki data items will also be produced for each of the monuments.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contest:
- Number of participants: 50
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 500+
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 50
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Organizing team
- Geoffrey Kateregga: Contest organizer, will create list of monuments, create competition landing page, answer questions on email and contest talk page
- Steven Bukulu: Contest organizer, will create social media sites, contest promotion
- Erina Mukuta: Contest organizer, will create jury, purchase prizes
- For venues, we shall reach out to our partners
- Goethe-Zentrum Kampala
- Uganda Museum
- Cross-Cultural Foundation of Uganda
- Photography Schools
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Items||Description||Quantity||Unit Price (USD)||Unit Price (UGX)||Total (USD)||Total (UGX)|
|Communications outreach||Marketing materials (posters, fliers, banner)||1||100||340000||100||340000|
|Events||Refreshments, transport, and internet at 4 local events||4||60||204000||240||816000|
|Best 3 photos||Prizes for the three best photos||1||600||2040000||600||2040000|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- History, if not written, is told through monuments. But these too are at times lost over time. Documenting them therefore helps to preserve both history and culture and to tell stories that would otherwise stay untold.Mulumba Ivan Matthias(talk) 03:22, 23 August 2019 (UTC)
- Documentation of Ugandan cultural and heritage sites is one thing that is necessary, and is more meaningful if Ugandans and other private parties can contribute to this cause AKibombo (talk) 09:18, 23 August 2019 (UTC)AKibombo
- Monuments preserve culture, a reflection of history and they help us to understand and respect people who lived in different eras with different habits and traditions. Uganda participating ones again is a positive action to represent the nation, and serve as a focus for national identity. Bukulu Steven (talk) 08:23, 23 August 2019 (UTC)
- Would be good to have this competition run at a time when the user group is structuring to have more volunteers join, especially if some volunteer members are professional photographers from Wiki Loves Monuments events.
- With every year wlm is done in uganda. there is increased visualization of monuments in uganda Erinamukuta (talk) 14:14, 24 August 2019 (UTC)