Grants:Project/Rapid/Steve Kally/Photowalk in Nok, Zangon Kataf, Kafanchan, Kagoro and Godogodo
Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- To increase contents on Wikimedia Commons
- To recruit professional photographers for Wikimedia Commons
- To improve contents on English Wikipedia, Tyap Wikipedia (Incubator), Hausa Wikipedia, Igbo Wikipedia and Yoruba Wikipedia.
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
- To create awareness about Wikimedia projects
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- Five different photowalk each day in three weekends, across five Kaduna Historic Towns (Nok, Zangon Kataf, Kafanchan, Kagoro and Godogodo) and five photographers will be involved in every walk.
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- The focus will be on monuments (cultural sites, archaeological sites, railway sites), natural reliefs (mountains, waterfalls, etc.), cultural artefacts and modern cultural symbols (including attires) cuisines etc. of Nok, Zangon Kataf, Kagoro, Kafanchan and Godogodo of Kaduna State Nigeria.
3. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- There will be an online edit-a-thon immediately after the photowalks to upload the images on Wikimedia Commons at the hotel and also add it to corresponding Wikipedia articles.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes, all of the participants will be professional photographers, three of them already have high definition cameras, two cameras will be rented to add.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The photowalk across these five Southern Kaduna towns would enable us take images of landmarks of historic importance, artefacts of cultural significance, and of humans in their cultural attires and daily appearances to document on Wikimedia Commons to enable easy accessibility for Wikimedia users working on topics related to those areas.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- If at least five professional photographers participated.
- If at least 1500 photos were uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.
- If at least 40% of the images collected are used.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Three Professional Cameras and Five experienced Photographers/editors.
- Steve Kally, Indigenous Culture promoter, professional photographer and experienced Wikipedian; The project lead.
- Kambai Akau Professional photographer, experienced editor, experienced Wikimedian and co-organizer.
- Zwandien Bobai, Professional photographer, experienced Wikimedian and co-organizer.
- Friday Musa, professional photographer and Wikimedian.
- Valentine Didam, professional photographer and Wikimedian.
|Sl.No||Item||Quantity||Rate (NGN)||Total (NGN)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|1||Transportation for photographers||1||300,000||300,000||722.74||This is the cost of the car (and fuel) to be hired which will convey the photographers across the major Southern Kaduna towns within for the three weekends (six days).|
|2||Food and drinks||6(*5)||4,000||120,000||289.1||This will cover the feeding and refreshment for the six days during the photowalk for the five photographers.|
|3||Branded T-shirt||5||3,500||17,500||42.16||This is important for identification and uniformity as it will also help for access during the photowalk.|
|4||Branded Caps||5||1,500||7,500||18.07||This is important for identification and uniformity and also for protection against high sun rays.|
|5||Branded nosemasks||5||700||3,500||8.43||This is cost for uniform nosemasks for five photographers for complying with safety measures.|
|6||Pocket hand sanitizers||5||200||1,000||2.41||This is cost for sanitizers for five photographers for complying with safety measures.|
|7||Data allowance during the upload session||5||5,000||25,000||60.23||This is the cost of data for each of the 5 photographers to upload their various images.|
|8||Stipends for local community guides||5(*3)||2,000||30,000||72.27||This is the cost for stipends for community who will be helpful in locating hard-to-reach monuments in at most 10 communities.|
|9||Recharge card allowance during and after the photowalk||5||5,000||25,000||60.23||This is the cost of call time for photographer's communications for the six days.|
|10||Camera hiring||2(*3)||10,000||60,000||144.55||This is the cost of hiring two cameras for two photographers for three weekends.|
|11||Accommodations||5(*6)||7,000||210,000||504.92||This is cost of accommodations for six nights across three weekends for five photographers with each having a room to comply with COVID-19 guidelines.|
|12||Contingency cost||1||30,000||30,000||72.27||This is cost for bank charges and any logistics/Miscellaneous.|
|Grand Total (with contingency cost): NGN 829,500 (USD 1,998.38 Oanda exchange rate as at 14th April 2022)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support -- I belief this photowalk would not only enrich Wikimedia Commons with images from these five Southern Kaduna towns, but would as well document pictorial images of the area in today's terms for posterity. Kambai Akau (talk) 17:41, 15 April 2022 (UTC)
Strong support The project should help project the political region known and referred to as Southern Kaduna (in Kaduna State, Nigeria) through images of historical sites and natural endowments that the world craves to have and to hold that would be captured and uploaded. It will enhance the promotion and preservation of cultural and social sites that are so dear to the people of the area for generations yet unborn. Zbobai (talk) 19:10, 15 April 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly support this project. Because it will not only explore the hiding heritage to the world, but also preserve it diverse culture and traditions in beautiful images for the next generation and also to make work easy for researchers both home and abroad. Friday musa (talk) 15:46, 16 April 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support Apoyo este proyecto, ya que me parece interesante, el poder tomar fotos de estos lugares interesantes de Nigeria.