Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
- Have panel discussion on the ways we can adapt in our community and to close the gender gap and raise awareness on this issue
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
One Art + Feminism 2021 Wikipedia editathon and one panel discussion will be organised online.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
Through the Wikipedia Botswana Social media channels.
- Whats App
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
Candy Khohliwe - Project lead
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
Participants are advised to come with their own laptops when attending the online session . No technical skills required. We will train them from scratch.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
We will engage participants on our WhatsApp and Facebook group. We also hold bi-weekly virtual meetups to discuss and address issues around editing and Wikipedia.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
This project is very important to us as Botswana. There is a huge gender gap on Wikipedia. We want to help fix that!
More of an awareness and discussion on diversity and inclusion once having panelists from other African countries and having a larger audience.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events - 2
- Number of participants - 25
- Number of new editors - 15
- Number of of articles created or improved - 50
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)
- Panel discussion will consists of other notable wiki volunteers from 3 different African countries to discuss the gender gap issue on our online session.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
1 USD = 10.86 BWP as of 16 FEB 2021 from xe.com
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (USD)||Total (USD)||’Summary'|
|Events||venue||1||-||$100||The event will take place online and have a meet up with panelists with maximum of 10 people*
(Strictly the panelist only and organiser to record the discussion). We'll have the introduction of art and feminism The Wikimedia Foundation and Wikipedia, then have the panel discussion on diversity and inclusion (pre recorded discussion). Then schedule for a two online editathon training sessions
|Branding & Stationaries||T-Shirts/ printing.||5||$15||$75||The t-shirts will be given to the top 3 contributors and also the team organisers|
|Team management||Transport and Airtime||-||$150||$150||Transportation will be used for the team and also transport the food and getting T-shirt and stationery quotations, logistics, airtime for organisers during the event.|
|Internet at the venue||1||$100||$100|
|Best contributors editors(gift vouchers)
First prize winner $100
2nd and 3rd winners each; $50
|1 online sessions plus subscribing for 10 active editors||$100||$200|
To easily capture images and grow content on Wiki Commons relative to Botswana
|Mic||Rent||$50||This mic will be helpful as we plan to have the panel discussion session to be recorded and uploaded in a the community podcast platform we are planning to start. Furthermore this will help us to retain and gain more traction for more newbies to engage in our online discussion/ podcasts and join the Wikimedia UserGroup Botswana as we now more inclined to make the best use of online resources due to the pandemic|
|Social Media (Promotion)||5 platforms to advertise||$10||$50|
|Contingency Amount||Unforeseen expenses||$100||Unforeseen expenses|
|Total: USD. $1375|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- It's a direct contribution to bridging the Wikipedia gender gap especially for Botswana content and on a larger scale African content. Shoodho (talk)
- Events like this will help raise more awareness which will lead to having more African contents on the wiki projects Udehb (talk) 17:00, 15 January 2021 (UTC)
- Support Celestinesucess (talk) 10:57, 17 January 2021 (UTC)
- A great idea, I endorse Chukydyk (talk) 08:43, 19 January 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support - Isaac Kanguya✌ (talk) 11:54, 19 January 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support - Kunokuno (talk) 13:45, 31 January 2021 (UTC)
- Support Pablísima (talk) 22:35, 9 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support Art+Feminism endorses this project. 13ab37 (talk) 23:51, 9 February 2021 (UTC) on behalf of Art+Feminism User Group
- Support clickhere21 endorses this project. (talk) 18:16, 11 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support Fernmother endorses this project. Fernmother (talk) 00:15, 12 February 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support Rosa(SiC) (talk) 11:27, 23 February 2021 (CET)