Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add high-quality scientific pictures to Wikimedia Commons to be used on Wikipedia
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
- Raising awareness of the use of Wikimedia in science
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- We will be focusing on taking and uploading scientific pictures to Commons from Egypt. There is not much of these from Egypt. This is the first year this contest runs in Egypt to encourage such content of Wikimedia and Wikipedia.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We Will:
- Notify people of Wikimedia Egypt Facebook page
- Make a Facebook event
- Print Flyers and simple brochures to hand in to prospective and exisiting participants
- Hold Workshops to introduce Wikimedia, Wikipedia, the contest, how to upload pictures, and how to take astronomical and scientific pictures
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- There will be a local jury for this composed of experienced photographers (3 members) who will judge based on their expertise in photography. If we finish on time for the international committee, then there will be an international jury to select international winners.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We will hold a meeting/workshop with top participants to do that. We will also encourage community members through Facebook to help us with this.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We are trying to get two organizations concerned with astronomy to donate scientific pictures for us. We also have interested community members.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: an organization donating pictures and about 10-15 individual participants
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: +250
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: +100
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The main organizer of the project is Reem Al-Kashif with the valuable help of the coordinator Kamal Osama. I am managing the coordination with the Foundation and the community members, doing community outreach through the aforementioned channels, creating the landing page in AR, and distributing funds. Kamal is helping me with contacting local organizations and putting down suggestions for places and spending plans. We are no receiving any support from anywhere else.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Certificates for speakers, coordinators, and jury members (Generally two-four Speakers) (150 EGP)
- Reserving Lecture hall in the Greek Campus for the workshops (2000 EGP) + Snacks (500 EGP)
- Reserving a video Camera for documenting the Event and uploading to commons (1000 EGP)
- Flyers for the events (300 EGP)
- Prizes for winners (1st place 250 USD, 2nd 200, 3rd 150 USD, 4th 100 USD) (total in EGP: 12,425.5)
- Incidentals (currency exchange, tips for services, organizers commutings etc) (300 EGP)
- Total in EGP 16,675.5 (936.381 USD)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!