Please see the sample Meeting application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Improve the quality of geo-information of articles in SQ Wikipedia;
- Improve the quality of geo-information of articles about Albania in other languages;
- Increase skills for existing editors through the improvement of content;
- Cross-involvement of the OpenStreetMap community in Albania with the Wikipedia community.
*What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
Active editors from our hackerspace want to organize a series of edit-a-thons that aim to improve the geo-information in various SQ Wikipedia articles and in other languages EN, IT and DE Wikipedia (related with Albania). During the first events the organizers will explain to newcomers the importance of geo-location in Wikipedia articles, will show how to add location coordinates and maps in articles and will present the final list of articles that need to be edited. During the last events the participants will go outside in the field and will use an Android based tablet to get the coordinates from monuments of culture in Tirana and will add the information to the respective articles.
*If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
Until now we have organised stand alone edit-a-thons, not a series of edit-a-thons. However, we consider this a critical project not only for the SQ Wikipedia, but also for articles about Albania in Wikipedia in other languages. In addition, we consider the outcome of these activities to have easy foreseeable metrics. Hopefully we will also have new Wikimedians from the local OpenStreetMap community join our community.
*How will you let participants know about the meeting?
During our weekly meeting we started to do some research about Wikipedia articles showing up in mobile applications such as OSMand that are based on coordinates on Wikipedia articles and we found out that there are a lot of articles that need improvement in this field. Regarding the communication with our members: we have a dedicated website of our hackerspace where we publish and document all of our events, including follow-up photos and reports of Wikipedia related events. We are also very active on social media, especially Facebook and Twitter, where we have local reach especially amongst youngsters and students. As always, members of our hackerspace will add promotional banners on their blogs/websites and will publish the press release that will be sent to the media. In addition, we will publish all the details and updates about the events at our mailing list, which is one of the largest active mailing lists in Albania at the moment. Last, but not least, we will have articles and interview at tech and non tech Albanian speaking portals such as www.pcworld.al and www.krokodili.al to mention a few.
*How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
Participants will need to register through Eventbrite in order to participate to the events. This will help us gather their contact details for follow up emails after the events. We will send them occasional email updates and make sure they are involved with our community on the mailing list and our Telegram Chat groups, where we have a strong following. We have already created a Telegram group about this project where participants are quite involved at the moment.
*Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
We consider Wiki Loves Maps very important for the local Wikipedia community since there are not much articles will coordinates at the moment related to point of interest of different cities in Albania. Articles with geo-information and coordinates get also displayed in mobile applications such as OSMand, which are widely used from tourists worldwide.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- Number of total articles in SQ Wikipedia with geo-information and maps- 200;
- Number of total articles in EN Wikipedia with geo-information - 40;
- Number of total articles in other languages with geo-information - 40;
- Number of total participants during all events - 20 (unique Wikimedians)
Below is a pad with a draft list of articles that need geo-information: public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eUFV8J48LE
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding). We have 4 experienced Wikimedians who will attend almost all the events and one event planner. The Open Labs Hackerspace is a community central gathering place, which will offer us the venue during the events, and for meetings related to them, at a discounted rate. We will also use the projector of the hackerspace, the writing board, internet connection and all the materials needed to host the edit-a-thons. Open Labs Hackerspace is also a vibrant community where different free open source community meet on a weekly basis, which will give us the opportunity to cross-promote the events.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Food and drinks (25€ x 12 events)||300€|
|Space Rent - (40€ x 12 events at a discount rate)||480€|
|Professional Photographer (for all the events includes also photo edting when needed)||180€|
|SIM Cards for 4G Hotspots (3€ for three months)||36€|
|Android Tablet (needed for the gathering of the coordinated on the ground)||145€|
|Visual Identity & Design Materials (including logo and design for digital & print promotion)||80€|
|Promotional Business Cards (project branded, not individual cards)||35€|
|Gift Cards (for 3 first places)||200€|
|Non expected costs (10% of the requested amount)||154€|
- I fully endorse the project as it is an important step to raise quality in Albanian Wikipedia. But in my opinion, the targets should be set higher. 99% of missing coordinates are already available in English or German Wikipedia. Data just needs to be transfered. Besides that, raising awareness and training are also as important as just adding data. Albinfo (talk) 13:38, 6 June 2016 (UTC)
- here's a list of Albania related articles in German Wikipedia without coordinates. Any help in locating these buildings is highly appreciated. de:Kategorie:Wikipedia:Lagewunsch_(AL) Albinfo (talk) 13:41, 6 June 2016 (UTC)
- Albania and Kosovo has a lot of important part of History, where this information easily can be connected with Geo Information, and will be very useful for tourism and other parts. 22.214.171.124 11:26, 7 June 2016 (UTC)
- I find this project to be very useful for Wikipedian readers and also for Albanian tourism. DenisaRucaj (talk) 13:38, 8 June 2016 (UTC)
- Fine with me, I strongly encourage goreferencing but could you provide a statistics about wikidata items of Albania that are missing coordinates, and use their decrease as a success? You cite ITwiki as a target but ITwiki rely on a VERY extensive use of wikidata-coordinated infoboxes, from churches to administrative division, from buildings to parcs... More in general, in many cases even if you don't want to link too much your infoboxes with wikidata, still it is possible for specific properties such as coordinates to import them locally with a bot. I mean thre is no point on working locally for this type of information. Then, If you need help with the update of the infobox code please tell me I can share you some it-N contacts.--Alexmar983 (talk) 13:11, 13 July 2016 (UTC)
- Volunteer Wiki loves maps. To make more albanian articles linked with coordinates. AnxhelaHyseni (talk) 15:21, 4 June 2016 (UTC)
- Volunteer I would like to help with Wiki loves Maps. To make albanian articles more informative for everybody . Ajkuna1 (talk) 15:22, 4 June 2016 (UTC)
- Volunteer I'd like to participate as a project coordinator. My involvement will include the creation of the list of articles that need geo-information, organization of the events and social media promotion. Leeturtle (talk) 15:22, 4 June 2016 (UTC)
- Volunteer I can give some exprtise with it-N, wikidata, georeferencing Alexmar983 (talk) 12:15, 10 August 2016 (UTC)