Grants:Project/Rapid/Omorodion1/Wiki "Training the Trainer" in Edo State Higher Institutions Campaign
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors for the Wikimedia community in Edo State
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve local content about Nigeria on English Wikipedia
- Create Awareness of Wikipedia Editing among librarians in Edo State
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- I plan to organize series of training and an Edit-a-thon
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- I will be partnering with the Nigerian Library Association, Edo State Chapter and the information will be shared in their communication channel(s).
- I have identified librarians from different higher institutions in Edo State that will participate in the training.
- I have informed the Wikimedia community about this project via its
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- Information about the Wikipedia training and edit-a-thon will be disseminated using fliers and social media channels.
- The participants will be onboarded in a WhatsApp group to ease communication before, during and after the event.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User:I JethroBT Yes.
- * Omorodion1 will lead this project. He is an experienced Wikimedian who have facilitated and organized several Wikimedia related events in Nigeria, including the Open Semester Training for staff and students of Samuel Adegboyega University project and Photowalk at Edo State project. He is the co-organizer and facilitator of the Wikipedia Training and Edit-a-thon at the University of Port Harcourt.
- * Ugwulebo will join this project. He has experience in coordinating Wikimedia event. He co-coordinated the Wikipedia Training and Edit-a-thon at the University of Port Harcourt.
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Majority of the participants are newbies, so they do not have the required skills. Hence the need for training before the edit-a-thon
- The participants have their personal laptops which they use for academic and research activities in the university.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- I plan to admit interested participants to the state Wikimedia Community Whatsapp group which I currently manage alongside other editors
- I will create outreach dashboard for assigning of tasks and tracking of participants` contribution during the event.
- Recruited volunteers will be linked to their respective indigenous language Wikimedia groups in Nigeria, such as the Igbo Wikimedia Usergroup, Yoruba Wikimedia Usergroup and Hausa Wikimedia Usergroup.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
see link to the completed copy of the risk assessment tool: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/148xIwtEhiYihIFDHeSgV-_S2eDPGhiVg_5uV0xm1Ivs/edit?usp=sharing
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The project is envisioned to have a long term impact, as participants will be encouraged to work with experienced Wikimedians to organize similar training and mentorship to members of their institution through their respective libraries. This will further increase awareness of Wikimedia editing in Edo State, as well as, strengthen the Wikimedia Community in the State.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: One training + One Edit-a-thon
- Number of participants: 35
- Number of new editors: 20
- Number of of articles created or improved: 50+
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of event)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The Nigerian Library Association (NLA), Edo State Chapter will provide the hall for the training. They will also provide an alternative source of power as backup, public address system, a projector and projector screen. They will also assist the organizers in mobilizing their members for the event.
Additionally, experienced Wikimedians will join the project. They include:
- Omorodion1, an experienced Wikimedia project coordinator, facilitator and mentor
- Ugwulebo, an experienced Wikimedia trainer
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Food and drinks: (USD 14X35) for 2days= USD 980
- Internet Bundle/data (for organizers and participants during training) = USD 100
- Communication and Graphics (graphic designs, printing of fliers and printing of 2 drop banner = USD 70
- Nose Masks and Hand sanitizer for participants and organizers: USD 70
- 12 Branded Shirts (2 for organizers + 7 for NLA executives + 3 for most active participants) (USD 15X12) = USD 180
- Certificate of participation= USD 70
- Transportation of Facilitators: = USD 60
- Accommodation for Facilitators: USD 25/ per night X 2 X 2 nights = USD 100
- Souvenir for top contributors (at the rate of USD 7 per participant) = USD 70
- Miscellaneous = USD 50
- Data provision for participants to encourage editing after training: USD = 100
Total= USD 1,850; NGN 764,921.35
Exchange rate = 413.471 per dollar as at 13th January, 2022 (oanda)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!