Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors for the Wikimedia community in Nigeria
- Build a community of active Wikimedia Editors in Delta State
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Create Awareness of Wikipedia Project Editing in Delta State
- Add or improve local Content about the History and culture of the different ethnic groups in Delta State
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- I plan to undertake series of training and an edith-a-thon
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- I have identified participants in the school that will participate in the training.
- I have informed the Wikimedia community about this project via its
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- Information about the Wikipedia training and edit-a-thon will be disseminated using fliers and social media channels.
- The participants will be onboarded in a WhatsApp group to ease communication before, during and after the event.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User:I JethroBT
- * Nosakhare Okuons will lead this project. He has participated in different Wikimedia events in Nigeria, including the Open Semester Training for staff and students of Samuel Adegboyega University project and the Wikipedia Train the Trainer Workshop for Librarians in Edo State.
- * Omorodion1 will also join this project. He is an experienced Wikimedian Facilitator and Project Manager. He has facilitated and organized several Wikimedia related events in Nigeria, including the Wikipedia Training and Edit-a-thon at Samuel Adegboyega University project, Photowalk at Edo State, Wiki and Open Access Week Celebration at Ambrose Alli University and Wiki Train the Trainer Workshop for Edo Librarians. He is the co-organizer and facilitator of the Wikipedia Training and Edit-a-thon at the University of Port Harcourt, as well as the WikiActivate Ignatius Ajuru University of Education Projects.
- * SIEBHONU will handle the project publicity and social media promotion.
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- The participants are staff and students of the Admiralty University of Nigeria and they have the required equipment needed participate in the project. However, most of the participants will be newbies as such, will require training before they can contribute high quality content to Wikipedia and its sister`s project. This further reinforces the need for the project.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- The participants will be admitted to a Whatsapp group meant for Delta State Wikimedia Community. We will make efforts to link the participants to the different Wikimedia Usergroups in Nigeria, including the Igbo Wikimedia Usergroup, Yoruba Wikimedia Usergroup and Hausa Wikimedia Usergroups; so they can get further participate in activities of the wider Wikimedia Nigerian Community
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project will help pioneer Wikimedia activities in Delta State, as there are currently no Wikimedia activities going on in the State.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- If at least One Physical Training and One Edit-a-thon is organized
- If at least 40 persons participate in the events
- If at least 25 New Editors are recruited for the Wikimedia community in Delta State
- If at least 50 articles are created or improved
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Nosakhare Okuons will lead this project.
- Omorodion1, an experienced Wikimedia facilitator and coordinator will join this project.
- SIEBHONU will handle the project publicity and social media promotion.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Event Space: USD 150 X 2 = USD 300
- Food and drinks: (USD 13X40) for 2days = USD 1,040
- Internet Bundle/data (for organizers and participants during training) = USD 80
- Communication and Graphics (graphic designs, printing of fliers and printing of 2 drop banner) = USD 70
- Nose Masks and Hand sanitizer for participants and organizers = USD 50
- Local transport for facilitators = USD 50
- Accommodation for Facilitators = USD 25/ per night X 3 X 1 night = USD 75
- 6 Branded T-shirts (for 3 organizers and 3 Most Active Participants) (USD 15X6)= USD 90
- Souvenirs (Jotters, Pens, Stickers) for participants: (USD 9X40) = USD 360
- Child Care Support = USD 50
- Data support for participants to encourage editing after training = USD 100
- Miscellaneous (Inclusive of Bank charges and unforeseen logistics) = USD 50
Total= USD 2,315; NGN 961,132.44
(Exchange rate = 415.176 per dollar as at 5th April, 2022 (oanda))
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!