Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Develop mentorship program to help new/existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- I am planning a series of 3 editathons over 3 months focused on improving Wikipedia articles related to Corruption.
See proposed working list: Project_X/Corruption/List
- These three sessions will take place on the June 2, June 30, and July 28; each lasting for six hours.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Notifications have been posted on:
- Wikimedia Ghana Usergroup mailing list
- Wikimedia Ghana Usergroup Facebook group
- Wikimedians of Africa mailing list
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, I'll be leading the events myself.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Participants will be notified before hand to come with their laptops if they wish to partake in editing. Events will be hosted at Impact Hub Accra. This venue is popular within the Wikimedia Community in Ghana because it is an almost de facto location where we've held most activities. As a tech space, Impact Hub Accra would make a good location to attract new Wikipedia editors.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Beside cleaning up and improving Wikipedia content related to corruption in Ghana, a second objective of Project X is to build capacity for editors in the Ghanaian community on a continuous basis, by setting up a medium to provide them more close supervision.
- I will create a mentorship program out of the participants of the events at User:Masssly/Adoption. Newbie editors will be adopted automatically to the program, and if they agree, join the Wikimedia Ghana Usergroup. Participants will be thought how to use talk pages so that, between editathons, their recents changes will be monitored and feedback posted on their talk pages. Existing editors will also be encouraged to join the mentorship program for the purposes of
- Increasing their skills
- Sharing their experience,
- And lending a hand also, to less experienced contributors.
- The mentorship program will allow participants the opportunity to
- Ask and receive face-to-face feedback and advice on effective editing habits, and
- Learn about managing onwiki conflicts
- In a friendly and less crowded space where they'd be offered much attention.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project is intended to last for 3 months as a pilot, with plans to either maintain or scale up the expected number of participants. Its outcome has the potential to give us more insight
- About the prospects of engaging relatively small groups of people at a time in an editathon
- And a means to identify effectiveness of a Face-to-Face mentoring program, as against traditional virtual adoption strategies we're already familiar with, such as the Teahouse, Adopt-A-User, and WP:Co-op.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 3
- Number of participants: 16 (5 participants + myself expected at each event)
- Number of new editors: 5
- Number of of articles created or improved: 16
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 5
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- I will be facilitating the events and following up on editors to provide them mentorship. I’ve also invited some experienced editors (and looking for more people) who have agreed to be paired with at least one less experienced editor, in order to follow their work on the wikis. These include:
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Item||Details||Unit Ghc||Quantity||Total Ghc||Comment|
|Venue space||Wikimedia Ghana UG has an arrangement with Impact Hub Accra for free use of their venue facility||N/A||N/A||0|
|Projector||No need to rent/buy since Wikimedia Ghana UG already posesses one||N/A||N/A||0|
|Refreshment||For 6 total participants for 3 events||50||18||900|
|Water||For 6 total participants for 3 events||2.5||18||45|
|T-Shirts||One for me as facilitator. Rest of the 3 will be given as motivational prize to one participant at every event for 3 months||25||4||100|
|Stickers||Enough stickers to go round to all new participants for 3 months||2||15||30|
|Transport (To-and-fro)||Or fuel allowance for participants coming far from the center of Accra||60||18||1080||These are based on my own location estimates; participants actual distances and modes of tranport may vary|
|To purchase refreshment, water, internet, and anything else that needs transporting including stickers and T-Shirts||60||3||180|
|Internet 10GB Data||Would only need to buy data. Wikimedia Ghana UG has an MTN internet router already||120||3||375|
|Ghc||2710||1 USD = 4.42 Ghc|
|USD||613.12||Based on Oanda Exchange (April 4)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- This sounds like an interesting and needful project in this part of the world where corruption is a huge problem. I fully support this project. Celestinesucess (talk) 12:05, 6 April 2018 (UTC)
- Support This is a project I support fully, I believe mentoring new editors is a bit difficult so with the objectives of this program seeking to help new editors think its a laudable one. Owula kpakpo (talk) 17:24, 9 April 2018 (UTC)
- I fully endorse this great initiative. It will be an opportunity to recruit new editors and also improve corruption related articles. I strongly believe that a lot of people will be very interested in this particular project. Shahadusadik (talk) 22:16, 9 April 2018 (UTC)
- I fully endorse this project . It will help bring new Wikimedia editors on board Randybaah (talk) 16:03, 10 April 2018 (UTC)
- I endorse because I believe this would help recruit and maintain new and active users.
- This sounds great. In whatever ways you need my assistance let me know. I believe it embodies the spirit of unity and integrity of our environment. I fully endorse this project. Thumbs up.Gramalow (talk) 17:46, 11 April 2018 (UTC)
- A tailored form of trainings seems like a good initiate. Let's see how it unfolds. Nkansahrexford (talk) 22:10, 11 April 2018 (UTC)
- Looks good to me. Looking forward to the results and impact. Enock4seth (talk) 12:07, 14 April 2018 (UTC)
- Interesting proposal will be happy to learn from it. Flixtey (talk) 15:26, 15 April 2018 (UTC)
- I endorse this project because it will lead to an improvement in the quality of Ghanaian related articles on Wikipedia. Osy (talk) 17:20, 18 April 2018 (UTC)
- This is a nice project and I believe with its objectives it would enhance the skills of both new and existing editors. I wish to request that it is extended to the northern region of Ghana in the future.Din-nani1 (talk) 14:53, 19 April 2018 (UTC)