Grants:Project/Rapid/Mahveotm/Lagos State University, Epe Edit-a-thon/Contest
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- Recruit new editors
- Add content to the English Wikipedia, Yoruba Wikipedia, Hausa Wikipedia and Igbo Wikipedia.
- Start a fans club at the Lagos State University, Epe.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- This project will be carried out with the help of 5 other volunteers. The Edit-a-thon will be held where the 5 experienced editors will be invited to give a talk/workshop on areas they've proven to gain expertise on, after that there will be a contest to sustain the interest of participants in Wikipedia. This contest will be themed on creating number of articles about Academics on Wikipedia and tagged WikiAcademics. The interested participant will also form the users base of available editors that will create the Fans Club (Unlike other schools, LASU requires at least 30 interested individual before a club can be registered). Jamie Tubers (currently a member of the Ombudsman committee) will deliver a lecture Writting acceptable Biographies: The A,B,C's.... User:Wikicology, an experienced editor at Wikimedia Commons and administrator on Yoruba Wikipedia will present a workshop on Uploading appropriate images (Understanding image licensing), which will be followed by a lecture from HandsomeBoy Notability - what it is not. His lecture will be focused on how to really evaluate notabilty in relation to the academia. KayodeYussuf will present a workshop where he will explain editing with wikimarkup(this is expected to be the preferred editing medium as it is an engineering campus) while Olaniyan Olushola will make them understand about Wikimedia Usergroup Nigeria of which they will all be members(the fans club to be created will be under it also) and be around to assist and supervise.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- Funds from the grants have been allocated for publicity and other means of creating awareness in the campus. It will also be announced in the mailing list when approved if there's any individual who might take interest in attending.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- By the end of the project, we would have created multiple articles, recruited over 20 wikimedians and also have started a fans club at the Lagos State University, Epe. Followup will be done when the fan's club meet which will be once in a month (except exam period)
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- At least 30 people participate
- If at least 20 new articles are created
- If at least 20 new editors are recruited
- A fans club is begun at the Lagos State University.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have 5 experienced Wikimedians who will facilitate at the event. We will receive in-kind support from the student association on campus. The Engineering Students Society will support by mobilizing students for the project. They will also disseminate the event information via all their communication channels including SMSs and social media.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
|Sl.No||Item||Quantity||Rate (NGN)||Total (NGN)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|Total projected cost|
(Sumtotal : NGN425000 (USD 1174.03))
|1||Interstate travel||2||15000||30000||82.87||This would cover the cost of interstate trip for two facilitators that will travelling from Ibadan to Lagos & Ilorin to Lagos|
|2||Foods for facilitators outside Lagos||2||10000||20000||55.25||This would cover the cost of feeding for the two facilitators coming from outside Lagos for two nights.|
|3||Accommodation||2||20000||40000||110.50||This would cover the cost of shared hotel for the facilitators coming from outside Lagos for two nights|
|4||Intrastate travel||3||10000||30000||82.87||This would cover the cost of intrastate travel within Lagos for 3 other facilitators|
|5||Data - 40G||1||40000||40000||110.50||This would cover the cost of internet. Volume of Data usage is expected to be high|
|6||Power supply/public address system||1||30000||30000||82.87||This would cover the of hiring alternative power supply for the event and also sound system.|
|7||Refreshment for participants||30||1000||30000||82.87||This would cover the cost of refreshment for expected 30 attendees|
|8||Hall||1||30000||30000||82.87||This will cover the cost of the hall to be rented|
|9||WikiAcademics||1||100000||100000||276.24||The contest following will be tagged WikiAcademics. This will be aimed at increasing the visibility of articles on Wikipedia about Nigerian academics which is poorly covered. The winner which will be determined by a panel to be chosen from the English Wikipedia contributors will be awarded a NGN 50000 shopping voucher from Shoprite. The first runner up takes a NGN 20000 shopping voucher and second runner up takes a NGN 10000 voucher. 4th to 13th would be given a Wikipedia customized T-shirt. A list of over 200 red-linked notable academics is available offline and would be available on the project page to serve as a guide.|
|10||Publicity before the event||1||20000||20000||55.24||This will cover cost banners and other publicity materials. Publicity will begin immediately the funds have been released.|
|11||t-shirts for facilitators||6||2500||15000||41.44||Wikipedia branded shirts will be distributed to the facilitators to be worn at the event for easy identification|
|12||Contingency||1||20000||20000||55.25||This will cover the cost of other unforeseen expenses and possible change in exchange rate.|
- ___ Support. We are taking Wikipedia to all Nigerian tertiary institutions Olaniyan Olushola (talk) 21:52, 20 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support I am endorsing this grant request because of the potentials this project has in the community where it will be held. I am also happy to support Mahveotm for this project. Kayusyussuf (talk) 22:10, 20 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support Yoruba Wikipedia needs urgent attention, now that Yoruba is mandatory for admission into tertiary institutions. Regards. Wikicology (talk) 14:30, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
- SupportThis is a step in the right direction.--Jamie Tubers (talk) 19:24, 22 February 2018 (UTC)