Grants:Project/Rapid/Maffeth Opiana/Wiki Loves Earth 2022 in the Philippines
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To upload freely licensed, and high quality images of natural heritages of the Philippines on Wikimedia Commons.
- To engage new and existing contributors through photo walks, edit-a-thons and trainings in nature photography.
- To spread awareness about contributing media contents on Wikipedia and its sister projects through engagements with municipal and provincial tourism.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
The contest will focus on collecting freely licensed, and high quality images of natural heritages in the Philippines that will be uploaded on Wikimedia Commons for usage on Wikipedia and its sister projects. The competition is important because it will bridge knowledge gaps in terms media resource on the country's rich natural heritage. Outreach activities to reach and engage new and existing contributors as well as tapping the local government agencies for wider promotion of the contest and Wikimedia projects while observing health and safety protocols.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2022 in the Philippines
- Village pumps (English, CebWiki, TlWiki, BclWiki)
- Social media promotion
- Press releases
- Community outreach
- Word of mouth
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
A jury composed of people from the Wikimedia community and professional photographers will determine the winners. The jury will determine the winners of the local contest taking into the consideration the following criteria:
- Technical quality (sharpness, use of light, perspective etc.);
- Originality and creativity;
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects.
Prizes will be in term of gift certificate and a Wikimedia merchandize.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
Through edit-a-thons and trainings in nature photography, the participants will be taught how to properly utilize the contributions on Wikimedia projects. Through outreach activities with municipal and provincial tourism, local government authorities will become aware on the vast resources which they can properly utilize such as in their their promotional materials.
5. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below: The project will be conducted online and in-person events such as edit-a-thons or photo walks will be limited to less than 10 participants.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of photo contest participants: 100
- Number of outreach participants: 50
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 1000
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 200
For editing activities:
- Number of participants: 15
- Number of new articles using old and new WLE photos: 100
- 1 USD = PHP 52.067 (as of March 27, 2022 according to www.oanda.com)
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (PHP)||Total (PHP)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|1||Social media promotion||2||PHP 5,000||PHP 10,000||USD 192.06||Promotional materials, and sponsored posts to reach wider audience|
|2||Prizes||4||varies||PHP 25,500||USD 489.75||1st prize: Gift Certificate worth PHP 10,000 (USD 192.06)
2nd prize: Gift Certificate worth PHP 7,500 (USD 144.045)
3rd prize: Gift Certificate worth PHP 5,000 (USD 96.03)
Special prize: Gift Certificate worth PHP 3,000 (USD 57.62)
|3||Customized merchandize||30||varies||PHP 10,000||USD 192.06||10 camera bags for the winners and deserving outreach participants, and pins as tokens to jurors, volunteers, organizing team and for future outreach activities|
|4||Courier fee||20||varies||PHP 20,000||USD 384.12||Courier of the tokens and transaction fees for the prizes|
|5||Outreach activities||4||PHP 10,000||PHP 40,000||USD 768.24||Meals and transportation for 2 photo walks; and meals, internet data and facilities for 2 edit-a-thons|
|6||Logistics||4||varies||PHP 20,000||USD 384.12||Meetings and engagements with municipal and provincial tourism|
|Total: PHP 125,500 USD 2,410.36|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support - with Best wishes -- Nirmal Dulal (talk) 02:18, 29 March 2022 (UTC)
- Support - Good luck Maffeth -- Herbert Kikoy (talk) 10:58, 29 March 2022 (UTC)
- Support - GO for it Ms. Maffeth -- Zyrahila (talk) 10:58, 29 March 2022 (UTC)
- Support big supporter from my part.--Reda Kerbouche (talk) 10:51, 1 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support - Good luck Maffeth Shahidul Hasan Roman (talk) 11:29, 3 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support - with Best wishes -- Habib Rabbi
- The contest is surely useful to bring more picture of Philippines' natural heritage. ··· 🌸 Rachmat04 · ☕ 07:32, 4 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support - Exciting annual event! Wikibini2 (talk) 05:35, 5 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support - Cherry.basterechia (talk) 08:15, 5 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support - Janequeency.arabe (talk) 08:17, 5 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support - Diane.frias (talk) 08:19, 5 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support - Maryanne.revilla (talk) 08:22, 5 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support - Whing.villano (talk) 08:24, 5 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support - LeahLhey (talk) 09:50, 5 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support - Derk29 (talk) 09:53, 5 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support Love to be a part of the team! Marife.altabano (talk) 12:45, 5 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support Motoko C. K. (talk) 08:11, 12 April 2022
- Support - Most awaited project, kudos to the team. -- MarvinBikolano (talk) 10:24, 13 April 2022 (UTC)
- Volunteer I want to help for the project from Thailand as a volunteer. B20180 (talk) 11:50, 28 March 2022 (UTC)