Grants:Project/Rapid/Kaizenify/Photography at Lagos city marathon and AMVCA award
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
I am an active Wikimedian and photographer that have contributed to Commons and other wiki projects for several years. Since I've started contributing I've donated over 1000 quality photographs to Commons.
The goal of the project is to:
- add high quality content in images from the marathon race and amvca award.
- an increase of donated, free images of actors and musical artist
- more Wikipedia articles will be illustrated by high quality portraits
- more articles of female subjects will be illustrated
- recruit new photographer contributors by the awareness.
- strengthening local relationship between the local wikimedia community and the event organizers
I plan to cover this two events by providing photography documentation
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- Apply for photo accreditation to the Marathon and Award show
- Attend the Marathon race and document the race activities, prize giving and network with other photographers.
- Attend the AMVCA award and photograph artists, actors. Network with other photographers, artists and award management
- Use social media accounts of Wikimedia usergroup to showcase the project (like Wikimedia Usergroup Nigeria)
- Post-process, add metadata and upload photographs to Commons.
- Update Wikidata with missing information about the subjects.
- Increase quality of metadata through help from Wiki-community (contributors) and embed photographs in Wikipedia articles.
- Write a report and present the result to the event organizers and artists
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- The project will be announced to Wikimedia User Group Nigeria mailing list and social media calling for contributors to identify actors and use the photographs in articles and Wikidata.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- Added several hundred photographs to Commons
- Added data and increased quality to Wikidata
- Added the pictures to the corresponding wikipedia articles in English, Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of participants: 1 + community participation.
- Number of events : 2 Events
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: More than 200
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: Photos used in more than 50 articles across various Wikipedia Language projects
- By covering the AMVCA award, increase the presence of both Actors and musicians from Nigeria.
- Reduce the gender gap and underrepresentation of minorities.
- Make available quality photos on commons and strengthening more relationship with the event organizers.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The project is based on my voluntary contribution
- Planning support from Wikimedia Usergroup Nigeria
- A professional DSLR camera and lighting gadgets (which i have)
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
This is the budget breakdown for the Project
|Item||Quantity||Rate (NGN)||Rate (USD)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|Internet||1||22500||73.77||73.77||This would cover the cost of Spectranet Ace Mifi 60gb internet for the pictures upload.|
|For Lagos city marathon|
|Transportation||2||20000||65.57||131.14||This would cover the cost of transportation of me and Eukoha to the hotel and also to the marathon start point to and fro.|
|Accommodation||2||25000||81.96||163.92||This would cover the cost of hotel fee for 2 personnel a night against the marathon day as the race kick start by 6am and there is need to stay nearby for easy navigatation.|
|Meals||2||15000||49.18||98.36||This would cover the cost of food and drinks for two personnel a night before the marathon and on the marathon day.|
|For AMVCA Award|
|Transportation||2||20000||65.57||131.14||This would cover the cost of transportation for two personnel to and fro to and fro to the venue of the award show.|
|Accommodation||2||20000||65.57||131.14||This would cover the cost of hotel fee a night after the award show as the award ends around 2am and hence there will be need to spend the few hours at the hotel before heading back. And the hotel will also provide avenue to network with other photographers so they can also start contributing to the wikimedia projects.|
|Meals||2||10000||32.78||65.56||This would cover the cost of food and drinks for two personnel at the hotel and during the award show.|
|Contingency||-||20000||65.57||65.57||This is for unforeseen expenses which will cover the two events.|
|Grand Total: Sumtotal :NGN262,500 (USD 860.60)|