Due to the COVID-19 pandemic we removed face to face edit-a-thons, the Expedition was already after 15 September, but there is a possibility to postpone, we do not know when the Parks will open to the public again, as several national and state Parks are already closed.
For that reason we also think that we will have less participation this year, and fewer contributions and we also will not encourage the photographs to be taken during the contest. #StayHome
Another disclaimer, Brazilian economy is in the middle of storm, we are predicting that until May it will be more stable, but every day we have a new currency, for that reason we decided to use USD, not BRL currency.
- Increase the pool of free images of Brazilian Natural Heritage;
- Recruit and inform new contributors;
- Engage existing ones.
- May Running the contest;
- June Select winners of local contest;
- July Start the organization of the Expedition, 1 online edit-a-thon to include images at Wikimedia communities, contact the winners;
- August Online edit-a-thons;
- September At end of September, 26 and 27, run the Expedition.
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The contest will be increase the number of free photographs of Brazilian Protected Natural sites.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We will create a social media strategy reaching important players for Parks, Central Notice, and we will try to make an effort to penetrate local news.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- Jury board composed by Brazilian Wikimedia Commons volunteers and local photographers.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We will organize one online edit-a-thon to include images at Wikimedia communities.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Given the current scenario, in which many of us are spending more time at home than ever, it is important to give value to life and nature. We hope that this contest will encourage the community to come together and share Brazilian beauty with the world.
Based on the previous Expedition, we will run one new Expedition to a Natural Heritage with at least 2 contest winners.
One of the problems that we diagnostic is that the winners of the Wiki Loves in Brazil only contribute at contests, and most of them, not even that. To increase the retention of this volunteers, we decided to create an Expedition after the contest to involved this contributors. Including they to an Expedition to a Natural Heritage as a prize. We are requesting 250 USD to each winner, this amount of money allow any participant inside Brazil reach the starting point of the Expedition. Seems pricey, however this is the cost of bus and an airplane ticket from North part of Brazil, we are a big country, and flight tickets are expensive here. With not far winner wins, we can include more winners to our Expedition.
We are aware that the normal prize money are under 350 USD, but this prizes will have a direct return to the community, as the winners of the contest will took part of a Wikimedia activity as a prize. So we are not only giving donation money to a person, we are using the resources to bring more resources.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- For photo contests
- 100 participants;
- 1500 of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons;
- 50 of photos used on Wikimedia projects .
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Human resources:
- At least 6 volunteers will assist in this project, including experienced photographers, previous Wiki Loves Monuments national and international winners, biologist and environmental engineers: Tony (User:Antonio Bordignon), Débora (User:Deborapinhoiecksponce), Leonardo (User:Leonardopgentile), Luan (User:Luan Alves Chaves), Patricia (User:Patricialaraia) and Rodrigo (User:Rodrigo.Argenton).
- Wikimedians from the informal group foto.wiki.br will provide support during the event;
- WUG Wiki Movimento Brasil will provide technical assistance -- when requested and if feasible-- to the organizing team and support the dissemination of information on the event;
- Direct contact with Conservation Units to visit during expedition and publicize the contest.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
SL No. Item Quantity Rate (USD) Total (USD) Notes 01 Prize bond for Best Two Photographs 2 250 + 250 500 Transport of the winners as a prize from São Paulo and then to a Conservation Unit. 02 Expedition with the Wikimedia Community 1 1000 1000 Expedition from São Paulo to a Conservation Unit. Subtotal in local currency: 7.670,32 BRL
Subtotal in USD: 1,500.00
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!