Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To encourage collaboration, diversity and capacity building through engaging existing and new contributors
- To spread awareness about contributing media contents to Wikipedia and its sister projects through Wiki Gap Philippines campaign
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
Wiki Gap Philippines 2020 will be launched on February 22. During the event, attendees will be oriented with Wiki Gap and how they can participate in the Wiki Gap Campaign. A cost-effective way to do it is to hold the event at a venue which offers free WiFi/venue for a 3 hour to a half day meeting/session such as in a public library or in an accessable restaurant.
A follow up activity which is an editing session specifically for women and LGBT will be conducted within the next week depending on the agreed venue and date of the attendees, possibly within the following week.
A lecture on Wikipedia will be done by the team at Naga College Foundation in Naga City to be attended by around 50 students on March 14, and a follow-up workshop on March 21 will be conducted to sustain the students' interest.
Since this project intends to promote capacity building, collaboration and diversity, attendees are: PhilWiki Community members, past attendees and participants at events conducted by the user group and their invited guests. It will also focus on encouraging female and LGBT participants who are interested in closing the gender gap on the internet as well as photography enthusiastists who can help add images on women and LGBT on Wikimedia Commons.
The program will conclude by the end of March to evaluate the activities, and to recognize the efforts by the participants.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Wiki Gap Philippines 2020
- Social media promotion through PhilWiki Community Facebook page, and other pages such as Wiki Loves Monuments PH and Wiki Loves Earth Monuments PH.
- Central Notice (global banner)
- Community outreach activities
- Word of mouth
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
The team will determine the Wiki Gap Challenge Philippines winners based on the point system used in the international campaign. With diversity and equity in mind, aside from the over-all winners, there will be separate winners for women participants, LGBT participants, and student participants.
For the participants who contributed relevant images on women and LGBT, they will also be given prizes taking into consideration the following:
- Technical quality (sharpness, use of light, perspective etc.);
- Originality and creativity;
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
Conducting tutorial and editing sessions, and giving appreciation to the efforts of contributors will encourage the participants to add relevant images on Wikimedia Commons.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 50
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 100
- Number of translated articles: 50
- 1 USD = 50.87 PHP as of 4 February 2020 https://www.oanda.com
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Total (PHP)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|1||Wiki Gap Philippines 2020 launch, and a follow-up activity||2||PHP 10,000||USD 196.58||Food at venue offering free wifi for tutorial and/or editing sessions.|
|2||Wikipedia Lecture, and a follow-up workshop||2||PHP 15,000||USD 294.87||Snacks for the participants, and tokens of appreciation for the students who actively participated; Food for the follow-up workshop participants.|
|3||Awarding event||1||PHP 5,000||USD 98.29||Food only for the attendees (15 pax) at venue with no cost such as a restaurant with a conference area|
|4||Prizes||16||PHP 25,000||USD 491.45||Worth of assorted merchandise such as flash drives, memory cards, shirts, internet data etc.:|
Top 10 Over-all winners (PHP 10,000/USD 196.58);
Special categories (PHP 10,000/USD 196.58): Women participant, top LGBT participant, top 3 Student participants
Photography (PHP 5,000/USD 98.29): Top 3 Image contributors
|5||Unexpected expenses||PHP 5,870||USD 115.39||Logistical expense etc.|
|Total: PHP 60,870 (USD 1,196.58)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support Philippines has actively participated in this project during the previous year. Kunokuno (talk) 14:53, 14 February 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support The project is a big step in addressing the editor gender gap and articles of women that we, the movement need to address. Exec8 (talk) 04:57, 15 February 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support-Good initiative. Ogani2020 (talk) 16:19, 25 February 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support-Good initiative,Best wishes.Habib Rabbi (talk) 16:35, 25 February 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support -Nabin K. Sapkota (talk) 16:44, 25 February 2020 (UTC)
- Support-I think that will be a good event!K.Y.K.Z.K. (talk) 17:12, 25 February 2020 (UTC)
- Support- With best wishes for success.-Janak Bhatta (talk) 03:42, 26 February 2020 (UTC)
- Good luck with the project! ··· 🌸 Rachmat04 · ☕ 10:19, 26 February 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support-Good initiative. Shahidul Hasan Roman (talk) 15:17, 26 February 2020 (UTC)