Please see the sample Equipment application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal. For example, if you want to add content on a specific subject.
- Add or improve content. I will be traveling around Zambia to record the languages while on my travels i will also be capturing animals, buildings, monuments, and other components of Zambian culture and history.
- Engage existing editors
- Organize photo hikes/trips
- Popularization of Chichewa Wikipedia and also English Wikipedia.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content gaps will you be filling with the equipment?
- I lead the Wikitongues User Group, which is collecting Creative Commons videos in every language in the world. To date, we have contributed over 300 language videos to the Wikimedia Commons, with many used to enhance articles on Wikipedia.
2. What activities will you organize in the next 6 months to create content and use it on Wikimedia projects?
- I will be traveling around my country, Zambia, using the camera to record high quality videos of people speaking in their native languages. The laptop will be used to process and edit the videos and images collected, which I will add to the Wikimedia Commons and appropriate Wikipedia articles. In Zambia we have over 72 languages and dialects, seven of which are officially recognised as regional languages. I plan to record up to 50 unique Zambian languages by the end of the 2019 and the beginning of 2020.
3. How will the equipment be shared/tracked/cared for by members of your community?
- The Camera and Laptop will be cared by Isaac Kanguya. The Camera and laptop will be used for recoding languages under the Wikitongues User Group and also current activities and events for the Wikipedia Communty in Zambia. If necessary, equipment will be passed to other users for organizing events.
4. How long will the equipment be used, and by whom?
- At a minimum, we expect to use the camera and laptop for at least six years.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- All the videos and images will be under CC-BY-SA 4.0
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of Videos/photos uploaded: 300 over the next 6 months
- Number of Videos/photos used on Wikimedia projects: 50 Language videos plus 250 photos from around Zambia.
- Number of articles created/improved: 50 (Both on the English and Chichewa Wikipedia)
- Number of language videos uploaded: 50 over the next 7 months
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Isaac Kanguya - Project leader
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Items||Quantity||Amount (In Zambian Kwacha)||Note|
|Camera||1||5500ZMW||All the equipment will be bought from Zambia.|
Total requested: 19,100ZMW = 1,457.02$ (14 June 2019 xe.com)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support ChaloNiZambia (talk) 17:56, 16 March 2019 (UTC)
- Support 🍂 Notanotheramy (talk) 08:54, 18 March 2019 (UTC)
- Support Wirjadisastra (talk) 13:50, 18 March 2019 (UTC)