Grants:Project/Rapid/Gilbert Ndihokubwayo/Wikimedia Projects Awareness and Edit-a-thon
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are planning awareness sessions and a series of edit-a-thons over 2 weeks.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- We use our internal mailing list, our Whatsapp group and Telegram.
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- We will use information posters to advertise and call for new volunteers that would be trained; we will use social media to advertise the event. Offline Discussions and Meetings with existing Burundi wikimedians. These will help to mobilize participants.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User:I JethroBT
- Yes we have experienced editors who can also help in the training of new editors like: User:Gilbert Ndihokubwayo ; User:Ferdinand IF99
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Some participants already have their own laptops and mobile phones. We will have to hire some laptops for participants who do not have computers. The participants will be provided with Internet data that will be used during the edit-a-thon sessions.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- #We have a WhatsApp and telegram groups and, the new participants will be added in the group;
- We also plan to do face-to-face monitoring;
- We plan to create an Email newsletter.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- We are planning to host not more than 10 people per in-person events.
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This Project is necessary to help raise awareness of the Wikimedia Projects in different university and lycee institutions to recruit more volunteers that can contribute add content.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 3
- Number of participants: 10 in each event (maximum of participants per Event due to health protection during this Covid-19) (30 in total)
- Number of new editors: 25-30
- Number of articles created or improved: 30-45
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have 2 experienced Burundi Wikimedians who will be involved in the organization and management of this Project:
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Rental of laptops for some participants: $25 x 5 computers = $125
- Food and drinks for training participants: $100 x 3 events = $300
- Space rental: $100 x 3 events = $300
- Internet for editors: $50 x 3 events = $150
- T-shirts: $12 x 14 = 168
- Logistics (travelling expenses, disinfectant, projector, exercise books, pen, printings, banner, flyers etc.) = $330
- Communication facilities (internet and router): $65
- Bank charges =USD40
"Total Budget"= US$ 1,478.00
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!