Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
- Add media content onto Wikimedia Commons
- Recruit new Wikimeddians
- Engage existing community members
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- Media content that focuses on local folk culture in the country. This is important to our community because it sheds a positive light on the rich culture that Kenya has.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- This will be done via email and through the community's WhatsApp and Telegram groups.
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- We will send emails about the contest to our already existing mailing list which includes everyone who participated in the previous contests and we shall use social medias like WhatsApp,Twitter and Facebook. We shall also use the our personal networks to spread the word.
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
- A local jury team of 3 judges will be selected to choose the best photos from Kenya which will be forwarded to the international team of Wiki Loves Earth and we shall award the best 3 photos with prizes.
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We will fully brief participants on what is expected out of this contest and go further on to point out places and provide lists of places relevant to the competition.
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- All in-person events will adhere to the country's COVID-19 regulations.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We learnt a lot from the 2021 edition of WLF and hope to implement all these lessons in this year's contest in order to make the event more seamless.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants 20
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons 700
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects 500
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Human resources:We have a team that has consistently ensured the smooth running of the projects. The team includes FaithMwanyolo and Lisa Mwikali among others.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Project Budget
- Individual photo upload. Internet data will be provided to allow photo upload sessions to be done on an individual basis. - 150 USD
- Venue fees. This will cater for any fees and PPES required to get into certain cultural sites or protected areas. - 500 USD
- Prizes. Awards to be given to the top 3 in terms of vouchers worthy 200$ (1st),100$(2nd),50$(3rd). - 350 USD
- Food and refreshments. This will cater to participants' meals as they carry on with the photo contests. - 200 USD
- Transport reimbursement. This will be used to help facilitate the participants transport as they move across the different venues. 250 USD
- Contingency. This will cater for any overlooked expenses. 50 USD.
Total = 1500 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!