Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- Add content on Wikimedia Commons
- Improve the content on English Wikipedia
- Recruit and train new editors through the various photo expeditions, upload sessions, and edit-a-thons.
- Engage existing editors
- Improve Nigerian food content on Wikimedia Commons
- Create awareness about the Wikimedia movement and its activities.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- There will be 8 Photowalks with at least 5 different participants each. The 8 photo walks will span across different areas in Nigeria, to help for complete documentation of different food eaten in the country. The Wiki Club, Lagos State University (LASU), Wikimedia User Group Nigeria/Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ibadan and other fan clubs have shown interest to fully participate in this Photowalk and event
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority? The aim of this project is to improve the quality of pictures of different cuisines of the Nigerian region and to celebrate Nigerian Cuisine's diversity and beauty. The contest aimed to educate people about and promote donating images to Wikimedia Commons on a national scale. The Photowalk will focus on documenting the foods in Nigeria. It shall aim at developing and improving the quality and quantity of pictures of various cuisines found from all over Nigeria and thus highlighting and celebrating the profusion, diversity, and ethnicity of Nigerian cuisines. The Photowalk will focus on different cuisine and food prepared and eaten in Nigeria: Examples are Nigerian Jollof Rice, Amala, and Ewedu, Oha Soup, Nsala soup, Efo Riro, Ofada Rice, Tuwo Shinkafa amongst other Nigerian food.
3. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- I plan to share notifications with members of the Wikimedia Community in Nigeria via the official Facebook page Wikimedia User Group Nigeria official Facebook fan page
- I will also inform my community members at the Wikimedia Fan Club, Lagos state University via our social media platforms such as Twitter [] and the official WhatsApp and Telegram groups.
- With the support of Wikimedians from Wikimedia User Group Nigeria official Facebook fan page, Yoruba Wikipedia official Facebook fan page, Yoruba Wikipedia Community portal.
4. How will you let participants know about the Photowalk? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- Participants will be onboarded on Messaging apps: WhatsApp, Telegram, and Zoom for effective communication.
5. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- There will be online training and edit-a-thon right after each Photowalk to ensure that each photo is uploaded on Wikimedia Commons and also used to improve some existing articles.
6. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high-quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Not all participants have the required gadgets (High-quality phones and cameras) to take high-quality content, I, however, hope to support them by renting cameras/gadgets to aid the process and enable them to contribute high-quality content.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- I am certain that when this project is completed, its result will serve beyond Wikimedia Commons and the English Wikipedia as many other published language pages will use the photos to update their articles.
8. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- No, as the number of people that will be onsite at a particular location of interest for the photowalk will not be more than 5
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants: At least 30 people will participate
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: At least 150 quality photos will be uploaded on Wikimedia Commons
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: At least 20 photos will be used to improve Wikipedia
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- User:B.Korlah: Korlah is the project and campaign lead for this project. He is an active contributor to English Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons. He was the project lead for WikiFestival Nigeria, He was also the former President of Wikipedia:Wikimedia Fan Club, Lagos State University and active member of Wikimedia Nigeria. He has successfully executed and coordinated several Wiki Loves Africa photography contests for his hub including the Wiki Loves Africa 2019 and Wiki Loves Africa 2020
- User:Edriiic: A food enthusiast and active contributor on Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons. He has deep knowledge of Nigerian food and can easily guide us on where and how to embark on our Photowalk.
- User:Johnjoy12: President of Wikimedia User Group Nigeria/Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ibadan, active Wikimedian with experience organizing and leading projects.
- User:Adebukola3ee: He is the current President and lead of Wikipedia:Wikimedia Fan Club, Lagos State University, active contributor on English Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons
- User:Charlie.Smatt: He is a qualified Photographer and active contributor on Wikimedia Commons. He was awarded as one of the highest contributors during Wiki Loves Africa 2020
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Internet subscription (For the team members,during the project and post-project for report writing): $250
- Online meeting platform subscription: $60 ($30 X 2 months)
- Internet support to active participants: $300 ($15 X 20 participants)
- Transportation of some participants = $150
- Renting of gadgets = $170
- Food and Drink during each of the Photowalk $10 X 35 = $350
- Printings including (Flyers,Graphics design, shirts for organizers, and other merchandise to promote the event), Social media Promotion and branding:$300
- Prizes for Winners(Top 3 Contributors): $320
- Miscellaneous = $100
Total=$2000 = NGN820,000 
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support This project is a very good one, Nigeria foods are lacking articles and good photos on wikipedia, WikiCommons and other wikipedia projects. This project will help bridge the gap. Johnjoy12 (talk) 05:26, 12 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I look forward to the actualization of this project as this project will improve content related to Nigerian food on Wikicommons, English Wikipedia and its sister projects. Edriiic (talk) 19:10, 11 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support This is awesome ,this project will help project the diversity and richness in Nigeria which can also seen in the food.Zend2020 (talk) 15:40, 12 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support This is a very nice project. It would increase the visibility of Nigeria food on Wiki. Looking forward to it. Lordgentual (talk) 17:28, 12 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I give my full support for this project. James Moore200 (talk) 03:10, 14 October 2021 (UTC)
- Support Content about Nigerian cuisine is lacking on most WMF projects. Wikibooks seems to have very few cookbooks about Nigerian cuisine, Wikivoyage's voy:en:Nigeria#Eat and voy:en:Nigerian cuisine seem incomplete, while Wikipedia's coverage isn't great either, and Commons needs much more photos of Nigerian cuisine. I hope this will improve coverage of Nigeria cuisine thruout Wikimedia. --SHB2000 (talk | contribs) 05:35, 15 January 2022 (UTC)
- Also, to @B.Korlah:, but are you planning to do anything in the Wikibooks' cookbooks? I don't have much experience with the cookbooks on WB, but just a suggestion as the range of Nigerian cuisine cookbooks are quite low. --SHB2000 (talk | contribs) 09:27, 25 January 2022 (UTC)
Hi @SHB2000: Thank you for all your inputs as regards this project, unfortunately the project wasn’t approved or funded, but thank you for all your suggestions, there are well noted.