Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
We seek to engage Zambian Female Artists and students, and engage them in workshops that will educate them on how to edit information based on their work, as well as showcase and display images of their work which will in turn show them how to update information both historic and new in Zambian female Art,be it in contemporary or modern art. In this spectrum we aim to recruit new Wikipedia editors, i.e the Female artists themselves and students. Our expectations:
- To promote women’s art in Zambia
- To promote open data especially the use of Wikimedia projects to female artists in Zambia
- To enhance digital literacy among women in Zambia by teaching them how to contribute to Wikimedia projects
- Generally to add Zambian Art related content to Wikipedia
- To establish a strong presence of Wikimedia in Zambia
- To serve as a contact point for Wikimedia projects in Zambia
- To conduct regular Wikimedia meet ups and grow the Wikimedia community in Zambia
We will Conduct a one day (#ZedWikiFemArt) event calling all Zambian Female artists via letters written to the National Arts Council, as well as engaging closely with the Authoritarian Art body in Zambia to ensure our project is a success, we will also have a meeting with the National Arts Council on our idea to roll out this project. Our Event will focus on introducing the Wiki community to Zambia Female Artists and broaden them on how they can participate on Wikimedia by creating content for their work as a way of increasing their visibility online for both performing and non performing art forms. We will work with 20 female artists and 5 female art students who will write content of their works and carry out research on the late female legendary artists respectively.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We will conduct an introductory Edit-a -thon which will be accompanied by a follow up Edit-a-Thon/ Workshop.
We will engage by writing letters to the National Arts Council which is the main Art Body in Zambia and set up meetings with them on how best we can work together to have a rolled out and categorized event dedicated to Zambian Female Artists and expanding our Wiki community in the Arts Sector We also plan to reach out to the relevant Government Ministry responsible for the arts and engage a partnership that allows us to use their ministerial platform to reach out to as many Zambia Female artists as possible as female artists in our country are still not as mainly celebrated for their achievements as their male counterparts are., As such we will conduct a (#ZedWikiFemArt) edit-a thon training event. Our other organizers will spend time contacting key Zambian female artists in order to spread a wide influence on our (#ZedWikiFemArt) Event.
2.How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- We will create Social Media pages (Facebook,twitter,instagram)
- We will roll out a social media campaign with the hashtag (#ZedWikiFemArt
- We will post about our event on the Meta page
- We will print flyers and issue them out at strategic public malls.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- We have one experienced Wikimedia editor to lead the event and I also run a female led Digital Consultancy company and that is one of the reasons I am passionate about women getting involved in the digital evolution and to take control of their own presentation of their art.
My Usernames is Gertrudeh. 4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Our participants may have minimum experience in to contribute high quality content, and we will ensure quality content is uploaded as our event co-coordinator has over a decade's worth of experience and pro volunteer in Wikimedia as she has been editing articles and writing articles on wikimedia for over half a decade. As earlier mentioned she owns a female led Technology consultancy firm and has engaged with staff that have agreed to participate in demonstrating basic technological skills in article writing to our participants.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- By the end of the project we would have trained Zambian Female Artists how to edit their information and showcase their work on Wikipedia giving them a sense of empowerment over their own work, and we will have gathered more members to the Wiki community as well as show people how to use Wikimedia.
We will form a registry with our participants’ phone numbers and email addresses to enable us to get feedback on their use of wikimedia as well as to encourage them to continue updating their work on Wikimedia as well as volunteering in different wiki media projects, it will be of the utmost importance to us that every participant/ volunteer follows our meta page.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project? We are highly passionate about art and culture and would want nothing more than for these artistic women's beautiful talent to be shared with world, far and wide digitally.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events- Two (2)
- Number of participants-Twenty Five (25)
- Number of new editors- Five(5)
- Number of of articles created or improved- Minimum of twenty five (25)
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)-twenty five (25)
We will know if our project is successful by viewing the number of articles placed on the Meta page by our new participants as well as the growth in numbers of Social media interactions with the general public on the promotion of our (#ZedWikiFemArt) campaign.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have chairs
- We have a projector
- We have tables
- We have 4 laptops
- We have a router
- We have volunteers
- We have a venue
The project facilitator will be Gertrude Namitala and Mr Christopher Chilongo will act as the project Co-Facilitator.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Stationary/Pull up Banner= US 150
- T-Shirts/Caps( to be used as prizes to volunteers/participants who will show outstanding contribution to our (#ZedWikiFemArt)
We plan to offer 10 T-shirts at US 120 and 5 caps at US 50 bringing the total amount to US 170
- Art+Feminism event/ articles as a way of advertising this new project in Zambia= US 200
We want to create awareness of our campaign and would like to place a short article in the local paper on our idea and what we are trying to achieve . We will place 2 articles in 2 of our nation's local press to elaborate on our campaign and Wiki Grants.
- Social Media promotion= US 150
We plan to place paid for promotions on YouTube and Facebook entailing our campaign and encourage female artists to attend our edit a thons over a period of 2 weeks, i week of advertising before the event and one week showing the public what transpired at our (#ZedWikiFemArt) event as to keep the ball of discussion going well after the event.
- Venue= US 250
- Transport for organizers=US 150
- Refreshments and Snacks= US 200
- Branded Pens/ notepads with (#ZedWikiFemArt) Logo to give away at event and to promote it US= 150
- Internet =US 100
- Gift card for prizes to the most active participants (Grocery gift cards)= US 200
Our 1st prize voucher will be US 100 the second prize will be US 60 and our third prize will be US 40 So, In total we plan to give out 3 Gift cards.
- Total amount= US 1,720
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!