Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/Osinachi Praise Photowalk of major markets in Enugu-North senatorial zone (ID: 21869208)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
User:ezinduforafrica User:Tili2.0 User:Osypraiseatama User:NmesomaAndra User:Precious205 User:Dplanter
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Osinachi Praise Photowalk of major markets in Enugu-North senatorial zone
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
Reading through the content created on Wikipedia about the various LGAs in Enugu state, it does not show much cultural content of the people. Markets are one of the key spaces that speaks volumes about the culture of a people. It is therefore necessary to reflect this on existing content of these LGAs in Wikipedia. It will help to showcase the different existing markets and the different ways buying and selling goes on around the around the world which will also be a reflection of diversity..
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
Our strategies to increase this wikispace include:
- Taking pictures of markets in Enugu-North senatorial zone
- Uploading the photos on Wikimedia and also adding them to relevant Wikipedia articles.
These strategies will help us gather the information we need to improve Wikimedia content on theEnugu-North zone.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
The activities we have planned to implement this project are 12 photowalks and a one-day edit-a thon. The photo walk will be to take the pictures and it will focus primarily on the following:
- Major entrances to the market
- Market shops
- Abattoirs and butcher shops
- Vegetable shops
- Transportation systems
- Shops for clothes and clothing materials
- Palm produce
- Food and Fruit shops
- Local cooking energy sources
To take these pictures, we will send letters to the market heads prior to our visit to inform them about our project and seek their permission. We will also request that they provide us with Market tour guides for ease of access.
The edit-a-thon event will enable help us upload the pictures to relevant Wikispaces.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Yes! I have a team for this project. Working with a team of six, among who are certified Wikipedia editors. We will easily be able to execute this project as all of us have excellent photography skills and are passionate and committed young people.
All the people engaged in this photo walk are wiki editors and here are their usernames: User:ezinduforafrica User:Tili2.0 User:Osypraiseatama User:NmesomaAndra User:Precious205 User:Dplanter
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Geography, Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
Our work covers a geo-graphical content gap as it provides information on a people who have very little on them in Wikipedia. A market is a place where a people commune through buying and selling. Through this project, we will be able to showcase cultural bring to the table, diversity, as we present to the world, the open market system practiced here in Nigeria, particularly in South-East Nigeria..
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Geographic , Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
The target participants are all Wikimedians from South-East Nigeria who are resident but all reside in Nsukka, Enugu state, Nigeria.. The participants are already informed about the project and I will continue to interface with them via phone calls,WhatsApp messages and and email for the period of the prjectproject. After the program, I will engagethem by forming a group where we will continue to think creatively about future projects. One of the goals of Wikimedia Foundation is inclusivity; working to ensure that every geographical location is well captured in Wikipedia. We are therefore kin in investing our time and knowledge to ensure that our geographical location and culture which has been excluded from the Wikispace is included.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
We are aware of the security situation in Nigeria, hence we must work with the market heads who will get the detailed explanation of the project and who will provide us with tour guides for easy of identification and access.
We will hire a vehicle which will carry us from a common point here in Nsukka to each of the six LGAS that we shall cover and bring us back.
Participants will be provided with enabling environment including incentives for their participation.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
I have notified the Wikimedia Community about this project via the discussion page of the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria which can be accessed Here. I have also announced it in a Wikimedia WhatsApp platform created by Equity Watch Initiative in her recently concluded Art Feminism Edit-a thon program. I have also announced it on my social media handles including: Facebook, Instagram and twitter.
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 12.1 What was the reason for you deciding NOT to develop a joint proposal? How will you guarantee coordination efforts to make sure that you are not duplicating efforts and that you can maximise your work and joint impact.
- Wiki photo walk is new to people in this part of the world and not many know about it. I think that championing the program will help me to create more awareness about photo walk and possibly raise the interest of my team members for a joint application in the future. Good coordination will be guaranteed through effective communication via phone calls, WhatsApp and email.
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Improve User Experience, Provide for Safety and Inclusion, Innovate in Free Knowledge
Learning, Sharing, and EvaluationEdit
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
I would like to ascertain the following from my work and share it out to the world:
- What does the market system in Enugu-North look like?
- What can one purchase at the major markets ?
- What is the population like on a market day? Is it dense or sparse?
- How does the market look like.
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||All participants are returning editors.||6|
|Number of editors||6|
|Number of organizers||1|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
We are targeting to upload 200 images to Wiki common and attach 20% to exisiting articles.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
I am not sure;I need help.
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and FeedbackEdit
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).