Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/Edit-a-thon at Nile University of Nigeria (ID: 21879854)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
Bukky658 Omorodion1 AfricanLibrarian
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Wikimedia User Group Nigeria: The Wikimedia User Group Nigeria is a group of wikimedians in Nigeria whose primary objective is to promote free access to knowledge through Wikipedia and other sisters projects run by the Wikimedia Foundation. The group is committed to the development, growth and free distribution of educational contents in Nigeria. Wikimedia User Group Nigeria empower people to contribute to Wikipedia and other sister projects to ensure that knowledge is freely accessible. The group also share the ideal of a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. Nigeria Wikibrarians: is a community of librarians in Nigeria who are interested in Wikimedia projects. It was established in 2020 during the first edition of African Librarians Week. The group came into existence as a result of the need to train Nigeria Librarians on how they can harness the opportunities on wikipedia to render effective library services. It also helps to create awareness about open knowledge and improving the digital literacy skills of librarians. Wikibrarians have been able to organise several projects in most Nigeria Tertiary Institutions and also among the state chapters of the Nigerian Library Association. Wikimedia + Libraries Usergroup: The Wikimedia and Libraries User Group (WLUG) brings together Wikipedians, librarians and information professionals who engage Wikipedia and related projects within library communities, including academic, public, special and private libraries worldwide. Sharing resources and best practices is a key motivation for the user group. The group focuses on information literacy, adding reliable citations to wikipedia articles and supporting other wikimedia projects. The Nigeria Wikibrarians is specifically organising this project.
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Edit-a-thon at Nile University of Nigeria
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
It has been observed that most faculty members in Nigeria tertiary institutions do not accept wikipedia sources for references when supervising research work or even vetting students assignments. They believe that wikipedia is an open space and anybody can dump anything there and by that wikipedia sources are not reliable and verifiable. Also, some students do not even know that having knowledge of editing wikipedia articles can help improve their digital literacy skills, research skills, critical thinking skill and learning new things outside the regular academic activities. As a result, this project proposal will sensitize and train Academic community of Nile University of Nigeria on how they can harness the various articles on wikipedia for their research work and even get to understand how they can provide reliable citations to wikipedia articles. The project will also help students and staff to successfully use Wikipedia (and other Wikimedia products) to search, access, retrieve, interpret, and monitor the information consumed.
- Introduce and create awareness among staff and students of Nile University of Nigeria on the effective usage of Wikipedia and its sister projects such as Wikicommons, and Wikidata as a teaching, learning and research tool for retrieving, creating, and evaluating
- Mindset shift from not accepting wikipedia sources as reliable to allowing students to cite wikipedia sources
- Train the staff and students on how they can edit wikipedia articles by adding reliable citations to articles
- Recruit 100 new editors
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
In other to achieve the set goals, four approaches will be use and they include:
- 1. To organize a 2 day in-house training for the University library staff (Train-the-trainers). The librarians will support in the training process and that is why they need to be train first and in turn train the students and staff.
- 2. To conduct a 1 day physical awareness and sensitization campaign during the commencement of the project for both staff and students of Nile University of Nigeria.
- 3. To organize a 1month/4 series ( two in-person and 2 online) training for staff and students of Nile University of Nigeria. This training will be done base on the faculties in the school, the first physical training will be for the staff and students faculties of Arts and Social Sciences, Management Science and Engineering while the second physical training will be for the staff and students of Faculties of Law, Natural and Applied Sciences and the College of Medicine. There will also been one online training for the faculties of Arts and Social Sciences, Management Science and Engineering and one online training for the Faculties of Law,
Natural and Applied Sciences and the College of Medicine, making it two online trainings
- 4. To organize an edithathon where the academic community will put into practice all they have learnt.
- 5. We will create a separate Whatsapp group where participants will be mentored after the events. This initiative will help participants to solidify their knowledge through knowledge sharing and collaboration
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
1. There will be a 2 day training of the library staff where they get to know how to create a wikipedia account, search for articles that need citations using the citation hunt and other editing that can be done to improve a wikipedia article
- 2. While the in-house training is ongoing, there will be a 1 day of awareness within the school, inviting staff and student to the training.This will serve as a means of sensitization.
- 3. The first day of the training will be to explain the importance of having wikipedia editing knowledge, how it can improve digital literacy skills, research skill, and among others to students and staff of Faculties of Arts and Social Sciences, Management Science and Engineering
- 4. The second day of the training will be to explain the importance of having wikipedia editing knowledge, how it can improve digital literacy skills, research skill, and among others to students and staff of Faculties of Law, Natural and Applied Sciences and the College of Medicine.
- 5. The two days in-person training will be followed by another two days online training.
- 6. Edit-a-thon will follow where participants can practicalize all they have learnt and there will be some form of motivation to participants with highest number of edits. Certificates will also be given out to participants.
- 7. Follow-up on all active partcipants to see how well they are improving on the skills gained during the project.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Yes, I have a team of 3 Wikimedia editors who are willing and able to carry out this project with me. They are renowned wikimedia editors and have participated in a lot of wikimedia projects. User: Omorodion1 (Facilitator) - is an experienced Wikimedian and a co-founder of the Port Harcourt Wikimedia Hub. He has organized and facilitated several Wikimedia events in Nigeria. He will be the chief facilitator for this project. He is an alumni of the Oxford School of Climate Change organized by the Oxford Climate Society. He has also been involved in SDG activities in Nigeria. He will be talking to participants about Wikidata and how to create a wikipedia account. User:Bukky658 (Facilitator) - she is an experienced project organiser, wikibrarian, Librarian in training, and a fellow of the WikiAFlib Cohort 1. She has participated in series of online contests such as WPWP, WikiSDGs, WikiLoveAfrica, Wiki Activate, WikiSanta, WikiExpedition, etc. She is also the communication expert of Eduwiki collaborators and a certified triainer of the reading Wikipedia in the classroom program. She will be in charge of Wikicommons, adding citations, creating an article and every other editing that can be done on a wikipedia article. User: AfricanLibrarian (Advisory and Facilitator) - an experienced Wikimedian and Human Capacity Development & Training Director, AfLIA. She will be in charge of tracking of activities on the program dashboard.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Content Gender gap, Socioeconomic Status, Topics considered to be of impact or important in the specific context, Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
The project will help the students and staff to identify the knowledge gaps in the areas of culture, religion, ethnicity and other topics of interest. The project will address the knowledge inequity by creating new articles and improving already existing articles in the area of culture, religion, ethnicity and other topics of interest.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Advocacy, Climate Change and sustainability
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
The participants are Staff and Students of Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja. Fliers will be designed to be distributed to users of the library and also a broadcast message will be shared in the various departmental level watsapp groups. Also, on the academic staff watsapp groups, we will share broadcast message to invite them for the training. The participants will be mentored on Whatsapp and in Zoom meetings in addition to the in-person training.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
The Wikimedia friendly space policy will be strictly adhered to. We will also welcome opinions from individuals, groups that align with our objectives. The training environment will also be conducive for learning and participants will get to learn in an eco-friendly environment.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
1. The head of Nile University of Nigeria Library is fully aware. I held a meeting with him and explain to him the objectives of the project and he is very much in
- 2. Staff of the library have also been intimated about the project and they are ready and willing to support.
- 3. The facilitators listed above are also aware and are ready to share their knowledge with the participants. I have been able to work with them on several projects like the #1lib1ref, and some few Edit-a-thon projects.
- 4. The project have been announced on Nigeria Wikimedia User Group wikimedia User group Nig and the Nigerian Wikibrarians watsapp group 
- 5. It will also be reported on the University website Nile University of Nigeria Website
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 12.1 What was the reason for you deciding NOT to develop a joint proposal? How will you guarantee coordination efforts to make sure that you are not duplicating efforts and that you can maximise your work and joint impact.
- This is the first project in any University in Abuja the capital city of Nigeria. The plan is to extend this to other Universities within the city of Abuja after the success of this one.
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
The Management of Nile University of Nigeria will be willing to partner with this project in the area of providing space for the training. They are motivated to partner because it will be an avenue for the academic community to improve on their digital literacy skills and also help to project the University on the global space. It is also worthy of note that the school is a member of Honoris United Universities and some of the core values are Collaborative intelligence, cultural agility and mobile mindsets and skills. Having this training will help to achieve the vision.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience, Provide for Safety and Inclusion, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development, Manage Internal Knowledge, Identify Topics for Impact, Innovate in Free Knowledge, Evaluate, Iterate, and Adapt
Learning, Sharing, and EvaluationEdit
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
1. I hope to learn how students interact with information they source for
- 2. I hope to learn the information behaviour of faculty members and students
- 3. I hope to learn working with diverse community and people.
- 4. I hope to also learn how this intending wikipedia editors, users make optimal use of information from wikipedia
- 5. I hope to learn from the facilitators about other wikipemedia projects like wikicommons, wikidata that can help to support the teaching, learning and research process of my institution
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
|The page views||What is the average of the views of the pages created at the editathon each page individually||150|
|Frequency of Use||What is the average period students and staff make use of wikipedia when sourcing for information||200|
|User Satisfaction||What is the average satisfaction derived from the use of wikipedia articles for information gathering||200|
|Citations Added||How many new reliable citations added to wikipedia articles||500|
|Number of new editors||How many new editors were registered and stay to contribute during and after the project.||100|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||There will be at least 10 experienced editors who have been contributing to wikipedia articles||100|
|Number of editors||Expert and Intermediate levels of editors||10|
|Number of organizers||This are members of Nile University of Nigeria Library staff and some other volunteers who are ready to support in actualizing the goals.||8|
|Wikipedia||Adding citations to articles||200|
|Wikimedia Commons||Adding pictures to articles||50|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
We will be using the hash tag tool #WikiNUN We will create an outreachdashboard where we will monitor the participants activities. It will also be used to measure some project metrics such as number of participants, number of articles created/improved, number of references added to articles, article views amongst others.
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and FeedbackEdit
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).