Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Conference Fund/Celtic Knot Conference 2024 in Ireland

statusUnder review
Celtic Knot Conference 2024 in Ireland
proposed start date2023-09-14T00:00:00Z
proposed end date2024-10-27T00:00:00Z
budget (local currency)121630 EUR
amount requested (USD)133271.21 USD [note 1]
decision fiscal year2023-24
applicant• OifigeachWMIE
organization (if applicable)• Wikimedia Ireland Company Limited by Guarantee

This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.

Applicant details edit

A. Are you applying as a(n)

Wikimedia Affiliate (chapter, thematic org., or user group)

B. Full name of organization presenting the proposal.

Wikimedia Ireland Company Limited by Guarantee

F. Do you have an account on a Wikimedia project?


F1. Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.


F2. Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.

Sophie Fitzpatrick (WCI) user: Cailínréalta Amy O’Riordan (WCI) user: OifigeachWMIE Daria Cybulska (WMUK) Richard Nevell (WMUK)

G. Are you legally registered?


If you are applying as an individual or your group is not a legally registered nonprofit in your country, we require that you have a fiscal sponsor.

I. Fiscal organization name.


Objectives and Strategy edit

1. Please state the title of your proposal.

Celtic Knot Conference 2024 in Ireland

2.1. When will the event begin? Please enter the event start date.


2.2. When is the last day of your event?


3.1. When will you begin preparing for your event?


3.2. When will you expect to complete your last event payment?


4. In which country will the conference take place?


4.1. In which city will the conference take place?

5. Is it a remote or in-person event?

Hybrid event

5.1. What will be the total number of participants at the event? (including scholarship recipients + organizing team + other guests + self funded guests) (required)


6. Please indicate whether your work will be focused on one country (local), more than one or several countries in your region (regional) or has a cross-regional (global) scope.


6.1. If you have answered regional, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.

The scope of our event is regional, with a focus on the Celtic Nations in Europe, encompassing Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, the Isle of Mann, and Brittany. Additionally, we extend our reach to include minority languages and nations participating in the WikiWomen Project, namely the Basque Country, and Friesland, NL. This regional emphasis aligns with our commitment to fostering collaboration and knowledge exchange among Celtic and minority language communities.

7. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.


Website: Facebook: @WikimediaIreland X: @WikimediaIE and @Vicipeid_IE Instagram: @wikimediaie

WMUK Website: Facebook: @WikimediaUK X: @WikimediaUK Instagram: @WikimediaUK

8. Do you work with any thematic or regional platforms such as WISCom, CEE, Iberocoop, etc.


8.1. Please describe what platforms and your work with them.

Celtic Knot (CK) community is an existing informal platform that we are tapping into which has existed since the first CK in 2017.

Through the Erasmus+ WikiWomen project Wikimedia Community Ireland associated with Afûk (an organisation tasked with promoting the Frisian language in the Netherlands), The Mercator European Research Centre (hosted by the Fryske Akademy), Learning Hub Friesland, Coláiste Oiriall (an Irish medium secondary school in Monaghan), Euskal Wikilarien Kultura (The Basque Wikimedian User Group), and BHI Antigua Luberri (a Basque language secondary school located in Donostia San Sebastian). The WikiWomen project is focused on the creation of toolkits (for learners, teachers/facilitators, and GLAMs) to support and empower young people in the development of research skills in order to contribute to minority language Wikipedias. The CK conference will be the main multiplier event for the WCI launch of the WikiWomen Project and will share the toolkits with wider communities enabling them to adapt to their own regional and minority languages enabling the empowerment and facilitating the engagement of more young people into the movement. Project Website:

We are also connecting with the Language Diversity Hub. Wikimedia UK has been a supporting participant of the Language Diversity Hub ( ever since its initial discussions. We supported the development of the discussions around the Arctic Knot Conference 2021. Recently, the group has been seeking ways of boosting participation in its discussions, and WMUK suggested that Celtic Knot 2024 could offer a focal point for that in person. The Hub’s focus is on tech and language communities in the very early stages of wiki engagement - so while the core conference audience is further in their work, there are important connections and support points that can be explored.

In July 2023 Wikimedia Community Ireland acquired funding for their first Irish Language Officer role and working relationships are in development with Irish language organisations such as Conradh na Gaeilge and Foras na Gaeilge. These organisations are responsible for the development and promotion of the Irish language.

9. Please describe the target participants for this event.

Wikimedia communities:

  • Wikimedia communities within the Celtic nations
  • Wikimedians with an interest in Celtic cultures
  • Wikimedians with an interest in minority languages
  • Previous Celtic Knot attendees
  • Language diversity Hub - we have a connection with the group; they may use the conference as a hook for an in person organiser meeting
  • WikiWomen Project Partners (as listed above)


  • People who engage with online language communities but haven’t interacted with Wikimedia yet
  • Language communities local to Waterford, such as Gaeltacht na nDéise, Dúngarbhán le Gaeilge, etc.
  • Language communities outside of the host city within the regional focus of the conference (i.e. Welsh, Scots Gàidhlig, Cornish, Manx, Breton, Basque etc.)
  • Advocacy audiences - people who are not Wikimedians, and may not want to learn to edit, but would benefit from learning about how language communities can benefit from engaging with Wikimedia thus encouraging them to get involved in the movement.
  • Language-related decision makers (possibly within Celtic Knot languages), foregrounding issues such as indigenous groups and their representation
  • Academics working and researching in the areas of languages, linguistics, sociolinguistics, language planning and policy, cultural heritage, and preservation.
  • Members of the Irish Traveller Community as an indigenous and ethnic minority community in the host country of Ireland with a notable tradition and cultural heritage including an indigenous language.
  • Local Community Services to Waterford and the Southeast Region (incl. Library Services, Regional Youth Work Service Providers, Local artist collectives, GLAMs, and the local University SETU)

There is no minimum requirement for level of experience with Wikimedia or its associated projects, this is to further encourage participation from non-Wikimedians.

10. Please provide the link to the event's page if you already have one.

The following questions (11-14) will refer to the Community Engagement Survey which is required in order to submit a proposal. Here is the survey form that you can copy and use (if the link does not work): This survey is required to access a Conference grant.

11. How many people did you send the community engagement survey to?


11.1. When did you conduct the survey, and for how long?

The community survey was distributed on 14 December 2023 and was open until 21 January 2024 (5 weeks) to gain an understanding of what intended attendees wanted to see as part of the CK in 2024.

12. How many people responded to the survey?


13. What are the main objectives of the event?

CK’s objective is to foster cross-cultural collaboration and knowledge exchange among contributors working on minority Celtic languages across Wiki projects. We will achieve this with facilitated networking, community-building, sharing tools/methods, and exploring the use of Wikimedia projects for language groups. CK serves Wikimedians as a platform for finding new tools, discussing movement news, and enhancing cross-cultural exchange. Non-Wikimedians will gain a positive view of Wikimedia, understand engagement opportunities, and learn new skills. The conference will empower attendees to become advocates for Wikimedia within their organisations/communities. We aspire to engage online communities (existing Wikimedians not engaged with affiliates, diaspora, content creators, etc.), explore the impact on these communities, and foster new partnerships. Past participant feedback, as seen in previous conference evaluations, guides our efforts in creating a meaningful and impactful event.

14. Based on survey responses, what are the most important things your community should do at the conference to achieve these objectives?

Summary and visualisations of the survey responses can be found at

We asked several questions to understand what are the most important topics people would like to address. Overall, the topic of community growth is predominant: how to engage and retain contributors, and how to build a strong and stable editors base.

Respondents are also very interested in how to reach out to underserved language communities and build partnerships with language organisations.

On more technical topics, people are interested in Translatewiki (translating the interface of their wiki) and editing non-Wikipedia wikis (Wiktionary, Wikisource, and Wikidata).

Therefore, we will make sure that these topics are represented in the conference program through workshops, presentations or discussions.

Finally, the community is eager to meet in person to network, attend social activities together, and discover more about the culture and language ecosystem in which the conference will be set.

15. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.

Content Gender gap, Language, Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial

15.1. In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge. (optional recommended).

Our conference aims to strengthen language communities within Wikimedia by providing a forum for discussion, learning, and promoting the expansion of projects.

The event also underscores our commitment to cultural diversity, specifically engaging with indigenous and minority languages in Celtic Nations, fostering cultural and language exchange, and inclusivity in the digital realm.

Our work addresses knowledge inequity through the WikiWomen Project, a collaborative initiative involving schools, Wikimedia Communities, and language organisations. The goal of WikiWomen is to highlight the gender gap in content and empower students in minority language communities (Gaeltacht regions, Basque, Friesland) to write Wikipedia articles about underrepresented women in their languages. This aims to redress the gender imbalance on Wikipedia and strengthen the online presence of minority languages, which aligns with the aims of CK.

16. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.

Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Diversity

17. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?

Gender Identity, Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Linguistic / Language

18. Do you intend to invite or engage with non-Wikimedian individuals or organizations? If so – can you explain your intention for this outreach?

Language Organisations: Objective: Collaborate with language-focused organisations. Rationale: Enhance representation and engage with experts in language preservation and promotion.

South East Technological University: Objective: Involve the local university, SETU, in the conference. Rationale: Promote academic participation, fostering a bridge between Wikimedia initiatives and formal education.

Policy Makers: Objective: Extend invitations to policymakers. Rationale: Advocate for language preservation and Wikimedia initiatives at a policy level.

Language Activists: Objective: Include language activists in the conference. Rationale: Recognize and amplify the efforts of individuals actively working to preserve languages.

Artists and Cultural Practitioners: Objective: Engage artists working with associated languages. Rationale: Showcase the intersection of language and culture through artistic expression.

Intention for Outreach: Diverse Perspectives: Objective: Broaden the participant base beyond Wikimedians. Rationale: Enrich conference discussions with diverse perspectives and expertise; new participants may become Wikimedians.

Knowledge Exchange: Objective: Facilitate dialogue between Wikimedians and external stakeholders. Rationale: Promote knowledge exchange, fostering a collaborative approach to language preservation.

Community Integration: Objective: Integrate conference outcomes into broader community initiatives. Rationale: Strengthen connections between Wikimedia initiatives and external organisations for sustained impact.

Broader Impact: Objective: Enhance the overall impact of the conference. Rationale: Position the event as a platform for cross-sector collaboration, emphasising the broader societal relevance of Wikimedia initiatives.

This strategy aims to create a dynamic, inclusive environment, drawing on expertise from diverse fields to collectively address the challenges and opportunities in language preservation and cultural representation.

19. What will you do to make sure participants continue to engage in your activities after the event?

Ensure sustained engagement, 'Celtic Knot' will integrate with ongoing activities of Wikimedia UK and Wikimedia Community Ireland (WCI). WCI recently appointed its first Irish Language officer who is dedicated to working with language communities in and outside of Ireland.

Encourage continued collaboration with the existing CK community through communication platforms, including Telegram and mailing lists.

Actively promote future events, e.g. regular online community meetings, to maintain connections established during Wiki Projects. Recognizing the value of in-person experiences, we'll emphasise the unique aspects of the conference.

Introduction of Wiki Projects to new audiences, particularly the launch of WikiWomen, will create an ongoing avenue for involvement.

Knowledge sharing among small Wiki communities to foster continued collaboration.

The conference will catalyze sustained engagement, emphasising the enduring impact of 'Celtic Knot' within the broader Movement.

20. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.

Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development, Innovate in Free Knowledge

Logistical Aspects edit

21. Do you have any proposed venue for the event?

Location: Tower Hotel, Waterford, Ireland


Accessibility: Central with transport links. Capacity: Adequate for attendees. Facilities: Equipped for talks, workshops, and evening events. Experienced on-site events team. Technology: Strong virtual support, local AV company for tech needs.

Potential Challenges:

Space: Address potential constraints with a contingency plan. Tech Issues: Mitigate risks for seamless virtual integration. Regulations: Stay updated on local regulations.

22. Is the event venue and hotel accessible for people with physical disabilities?


23. How many scholarships would you like to offer?

We would like to offer 49 scholarships for attendees to attend the conference in person, with 20 data package scholarships also being made available for virtual attendees.

24. What expenses will the scholarship cover?

In-person scholarships will cover travel, accommodation, and meal-related expenses for recipients for the duration of the conference. A reduced cost price for accommodation has been agreed upon with the venue to enable more scholarships to be made available.

While the focus will be on the in-person event, with previous experience with this conference we are aware that internet access can be a barrier for some and for this reason, we have made a provision for data package scholarships.

25. How will scholarship recipients be selected?

Online Application Form

Applicants specify Amount needed. Engagement with relevant communities. Intent to share acquired knowledge with their wider community.

Evaluation Criteria Diversity: Prioritise focused regions/nations for a varied representation. Impact: Assess potential individual and community impacts. Community Involvement: Applicants already part of a community for post-conference sharing. Contribution: Emphasise meaningful contributors to the CK program and discussion.

Community Focus: Encourage applications from Irish language communities (host region). Develop equitable application criteria collaboratively. Approach existing communities Wiki and non-Wiki (learning institutions, cultural and language orgs, GLAMs, etc.) through existing connections and establishing new relationships with this outreach.

Reserved Scholarships for Under-Resourced Communities: For notably under-resourced language communities (e.g., Breton). Redistribute unclaimed scholarships as needed.

26. In which ways can Wikimedia Foundation staff support your event onsite?

We welcome Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) support in forming a Trust & Safety committee to ensure a friendly space during the event, aligning with Wikimedia Community Ireland's established Friendly Space policy. Additionally, we seek WMF assistance in providing training on the Friendly Space/Code of Conduct, accessible online for Points Of Contact in advance of the conference, fostering a safe and inclusive environment. This collaboration will enhance the overall participant experience and contribute to the success of the Celtic Knot Wikimedia Language Conference.

26.2. Do you intend to invite any WMF staff members to your event? (please note that all WMF staff travel and accommodation costs will be covered by the foundation). Please indicate what is the limit number of WMF staff members you would like to welcome at your event.

Amir Aharoni and Benoit Evelyn who have both contributed to the Celtic Knot program in previous iterations of the conference and who are engaged in projects aligned with the conference’s focus.

27. Please outline the roles and responsibilities of the organizing team for the conference.

Coordination and project management: Amy Program coordination: Sophie and Richard Logistics coordination: Amy and Léa Scholarship coordination: Richard and Sophie Participants management and communication: Daria and Léa Partnerships and external collaborations: Amy and Richard Communication towards Wiki communities: Sophie and Richard WMF Liaison: Daria

There will be additional support from the WikiUK Team as well as consultants and links with local and national organisations/institutions across the UK and Ireland (as previously in the application).

Wikimedia Community Ireland also has an active cohort of support from community members who will be engaging with us on this as the host community for the conference.

28. Do you have plans to co-organize the event with other Wikimedia communities, groups or affiliates?


28.1. If yes, can you please explain how you are going to co-organize the event and what responsibilities each partner will have.

WCI and WMUK will jointly shape and organise the event, with equal decision power. This includes collaborating on identifying, securing, and reporting on funding for the event from the Wikimedia Foundation, and collaborating on the focus and shape of the conference programme.

As the conference host, WCI will lead on the following key aspects: Leading the coordination of the conference between WCI, WMUK, and external partners

Liaising with the host venue Acting as the first point of contact for potential and confirmed delegates and speakers Organising the registration of participants and ensuring clear and regular communications with delegates

Additionally, WMUK will support the event in the following ways:

Delivery capacity (Richard Nevell as lead and Daria Cybulska for support) Sharing expertise and materials from previous Celtic Knot events Supporting the promotion of the event, such as paper submissions, attendance (registration), and dissemination of outcomes Supporting participation of the UK and wider Celtic Knot communities in the event.

WMUK and WCI agree on collaborating on branding and communications activities for the conference.

29. What kind of risks do you anticipate and how would you mitigate these?

External Issues:

Covid-19 Pandemic: Mitigation: Encourage participants to use self-administered tests before the conference. Facilitate a hybrid or fully virtual event if required. Clearly communicate plans to participants.

Travel Restrictions: Mitigation: Establish a comprehensive communication plan, providing regular updates on travel conditions. Encourage remote participation options.

Political Unrest: Mitigation: Stay informed on geopolitical situations. Have contingency plans for alternative venues/virtual delivery.

Internal Issues: Governance Challenges: Mitigation: Establish clear governance structures and procedures. Regularly review and update governance documentation. Provide ongoing leadership training.

Financial Risks: Mitigation: Develop a detailed budget, accounting for potential fluctuations. Regularly review financial status and adjust plans accordingly. Seek funding sources.

Community Engagement:

Communication Breakdown: Mitigation: Establish robust communication channels, including newsletters, social media, and mailing lists. Provide regular updates to the community on event progress.

Engagement Fatigue: Mitigation: Implement engaging pre-event activities to maintain interest. Diversify communication methods to reach different community segments.

Logistical Challenges: Venue Issues: Mitigation: Partner with reliable venues. Have backup venue options and a clear contract that outlines contingencies.

Technology Failures: Mitigation: Perform prior technology checks. Have technical support staff available. Clear instructions for virtual participants.

Inclusivity and Diversity: Underrepresentation: Mitigation: Promote the event in diverse communities. Provide scholarships for underrepresented groups. Ensure diverse representation in planning.

Accessibility Barriers: Mitigation: Conduct accessibility assessments. Implement measures to address physical and digital accessibility challenges. Provide alternative formats for content

30. Friendly space policy - Please add the link to the friendly space policy that your community will be using for this event.

Wikimedia Community Ireland’s Safe Space Policy can be found here:

This has been developed in line with other similar policies, such as WMUK’ established policy which can be found here:

We will also be sharing the Code of Conduct for technical spaces, found here:

Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation edit

31. What do you hope to learn from your work organising this conference?

Learning Objectives:

Community Needs: Question: What are the distinct needs of each community, both within and outside the Wikimedia movement? Learning Outcome: Identify and understand the diverse needs of communities through day 1 focus groups/workshops, followed by a day 3 session to assess program impact.

Formation of Ongoing Communities: Question: How can Celtic Knot foster the development of enduring communities and networks supporting Celtic languages? Learning Outcome: Assess the potential of initiatives (e.g. the Language Diversity Hub, WikiWomen Project) in sustaining communities. Measure post-conference engagement and collaborative initiatives.

Advocacy and Government Engagement: Question: How can Wikimedia projects be framed as a valuable tool for language advocacy, especially with government officials and decision makers? Learning Outcome: Explore mechanisms to involve policymakers, measuring the impact on influencing decisions and policies (such as implementing Wiki Projects in education settings) by inviting them to CK and using this as an important opportunity to introduce the benefits of Wiki Projects in state-level language strategic planning.

Cultural Context and Wikimedia Projects: Question: Does the conference effectively spotlight the cultural context of language families and their Wikimedia projects? Learning Outcome: Review feedback on the cultural insights gained. Measure the impact on Wikimedia projects related to the highlighted language or language family.

Conference Objectives: Objective: Share experiences of working on information sharing in minority languages. Measure: Evaluate the depth and breadth of shared experiences during conference sessions. Objective: Help people learn to direct information flow across language barriers. Measure: Assess the effectiveness of workshops and presentations in achieving this learning outcome.

Objective: Support community growth, technical skills, and collaboration. Measure: Track post-conference initiatives and collaborative projects initiated by attendees.

Objective: Spotlight a language or language family, offering cultural insights. Measure: Analyse participant feedback on the cultural context presented. Evaluate the impact on Wikimedia projects related to the spotlighted language(s).

These learning objectives centered around SMART goals, will guide our efforts to create meaningful and lasting change through the Celtic Knot Wikimedia Language Conference.

32. Main open metrics
Main Open Metrics Data
Main Open Metrics Description Target
User Experience and Testimonials Gather qualitative data through testimonials and direct feedback on the event. Participants will share what aspects went well, what they gained the most, and their intentions for implementing the learning in their wider community.

Target: Collect at least 50 testimonials and feedback responses during and post-conference.

Discussion Insights During the conference, facilitate discussions to gather insights into how language groups operate within their country’s language advocacy context and identify the most pressing needs of each language Wikimedia community in terms of skills, governance, and technical tools.

Target: Conduct at least 3 in-depth discussions covering different language groups.

Pre-Conference Survey on Community Needs Include a short pre-conference survey in the conference attendee registration form to capture information on community needs, expectations, and existing gaps. This will help tailor the conference program to address specific requirements.

Target: Achieve a response rate of at least 100% from attendees. As attendees will be required to fill out this form to register, including some questions within this will remove the need for an additional survey.

Focus Group Confidence Mapping Organise focus groups where participants visually map their confidence, knowledge, and agency before and after the conference. This will provide qualitative insights into the impact of the conference on individual participants.

Target: Conduct at least 3 focus groups, each with a diverse set of participants

Post-Event Participant Survey Run a post-event participant survey to gather feedback on the overall experience, learning outcomes, and connections made. Include questions about the application of skills learned, continued engagement with peers, and the conference's influence on their work.

Target: Send out a post-conference evaluation survey measuring the attendees’ satisfaction with the conference, aiming for a score of 4 out of 5 or higher. The results from this survey are expected to be available and presented in the final grant report.


Financial Proposal edit

33. What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.


34. Select your local currency.


Requested amount in USD
133271.21 USD [note 1]
  1. a b The following amount in US dollars was calculated by Wikimedia Foundation staff using the fixed currency rates. This amount is approximate and may not reflect the actual currency exchange rates on the day of submission or distribution. If the application is funded, the funding will be sent in the recipient’s local currency.
35. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.

36. Do you expect to receive funding for this conference from other organizations to support your work?


36.1. If yes, what kind of resources are you expecting to get?

As the event will also be a multiplier event for the Irish launch of the WikiWomen Project, some Erasmus+ funding will be available to us to contribute towards the event on top of the current budget - this fund would specifically be to cover costs (such as signage, printing, partner accommodation, and travel costs) associated with the WikiWomen launch by WCI as part of the CK conference. The estimated contribution from this will be approx. €7,000.

In addition to this, the Irish department of the local 3rd level institute in Waterford, South East Technological University, as well as their library staff and Bord na Gaeilge (Irish language board) have expressed interest and committed to supporting where they can with resources, speakers etc. which will be a benefit in kind. As has the local Library Services in Waterford City. While these are not direct financial contributions, they are important resources that will support the conference to be realised.

We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.


Please use this optional space to upload any documents that you feel are important for further understanding your proposal.
Other public document(s):,_MISSION,_VALUES_AND_OUTCOMES

Endorsements and Feedback edit

Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.

Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:

  • Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
  • Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
  • Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
  • Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
  • Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).