Grants:PEG/Wikimedians of Ecuador/Wikipedia 15 in Ecuador
- 1 Goal
- 2 Plan
- 3 Resources and risks
- 4 Budget
- 5 Discussion
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful (2–3 sentences). This project aims to increase the reach of Wikimedia projects within the ecuadorian community. If the project becomes successful, the people who are involved will be interested in starting a Wikipedia club in universities and schools in about five cities around Ecuador: Guayaquil, Quito, Cuenca, Machala and Loja.
Our activities take place in five different cities since January 9th, with a final event on January 16th.
- Four Wiki Takes in different cities: Guayaquil, Quito, Cuenca, and Machala.
- Talks with teachers and students in universities in the same five cities.
- Two edit-a-thons, one with focus on gender gap reduction.
- A main event with authorities from SECAP, IEPI, Creative Commons, Universidad de Guayaquil, Universidad Técnica Particular de Loja, Universidad Politécnica Salesiana, Universidad Técnica de Machala and more.
|Activities around Ecuador for Wikipedia 15|
|Saturday, January 9th||Wiki Loves Cemeteries II||Wiki Takes Quito||Wiki Takes Cuenca||Wiki Takes Machala|
|Sunday, January 10th||Book Upload Party|
|Monday, January 11th||Talk in a university||Talk in a university|
|Tuesday, January 12th||Talk in a university||Edit-a-thon|
|Wednesday, January 13th||Online edit-a-thon for the whole country|
|Thursday, January 14th||Talk in a university|
|Friday, January 15th||Women in history edit-a-thon|
|Saturday, January 16th||Wikipedia 15 main event|
- Spanish Wikipedia
- Wikimedia Commons
- Spanish Wikisource
- Spanish Wikinews
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
- Creating partnerships with educational institutions to develop Wikipedia clubs.
- Encouraging governmental institutions to support Wikipedia with talks.
- Increasing the number of editors.
- Improving editor diversity by recruiting new editors -specifically women- to reduce the gender gap in Wikimedia projects.
- Educating editors and helping them with a plan for follow-up and mentorship.
- Recruiting new contributors whose participation is limited to the event (With photographic mini-contests).
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- 3 partnerships to start a Wikipedia club in universities.
- 10 articles on Spanish Wikinews.
- 10 books uploaded to Spanish Wikisource.
- 50 new articles to Spanish Wikipedia.
- 500 new files uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.
- 200 pictures from the Wiki Takes events will be used in spanish and english Wikivoyage, spanish and english Wikipedia.
- 100 new contributors to Wikimedia projects. (30 of them expected to be women)
- 400 participants on the main event.
Resources and risksEdit
- Edjoerv, event coordinator.
- Tanuyeiro, event coordinator.
- Lucifer8k, event coordinator in Quito.
- Sageo, event coordinator in Guayaquil.
- Madamemina, event coordinator in Machala.
- Kakovera, event coordinator in Cuenca.
- Dabit100, event coordinator in Loja.
- Vahidmasrour, Education Program leader.
This would be our very first project funded via grant.
- Lower support of sponsors. A lot of institutions, specially governmental are not willing to support financially a project with an educative and cultural focus, also because we are no registered institution and can't provide a nonprofit status document to explain our mission. To overcome that, we plan on reducing costs and try to make the event successful with the help of loans and this grant, asking sponsors to provide material instead of money.
- Low interest of other institutions to get involved. We are working to reach to other cultural institutions and groups in order to make them participate in the main event, and to deliver the message of Wikimedia projects in such an appealing way to them.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget tableEdit
- Project budget table
|Item||Unit||Unit cost||No. of units||Total cost||Notes|
|Group lunch||One lunch||20||Lunch for the organization team and volunteers.|
|Certificates||One certificate||$1||50||$50||Certificates to be delivered to contestants of the Wiki Takes competitions in each city.|
|Wikipedia 15 T-shirts||1 shirt||$15||10||$150||Wikipedia 15 T-shirts for the organization team and volunteers.|
|Unforeseen||10% of the estimated budget||n/a||n/a||$50||Expenses that cannot be planned at the moment.|
Total cost of projectEdit
USD 550 USD 450
Total amount requestedEdit
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program.
USD 550 USD 450
Additional sources of revenueEdit
Additional sources of revenue, other than the Project and Event Grants Program, that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded.
- Venues are provided by the institutions that we will be working with in each city.
- The venue, advertising and part of the catering service in the main event is provided by Universidad de Guayaquil for free.
- We're creating partnerships with donors to get other prizes for second and third places winners in Wiki Takes Contests.
- We will spread some of the activities for other dates the next year.
- Advertising and promotion are going to be all social media oriented with the help of sponsors.
- Some of the volunteers are holding their own travel expenses.
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.