Grants:PEG/Wikimedia TN User Group/Wiki Loves Earth Tunisia 2015
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful (2–3 sentences).
The overall purpose of this Wiki Loves Earth contest is to increase the amount of freely-licensed material related to Tunisian protected natural sites in Wikimedia Commons, and improve the quality and quantity of Wikipedia articles about them, including illustrating the articles with the uploaded pictures. If the project is successful, more people will know not only about Wikipedia, but also about Wikimedia Commons and new users will be engaged in the projects. Additionally, the Wikimedia movement and the local chapters will gain visibility within the involved communities. Within this scope, we are asking funding to finance the cost of the prizes for the contest winners, as well as the award ceremony and the cost of promotion for the contest (web site and others).
Wiki Loves Earth will be held the first time in Tunisia,For this we will organize many events to promote wiki loves earth and other activities of Wikimedia TN user group:
- Presentation about Wiki Loves Earth. Date: May 2, 2015
- Photo walk in the National Park of the Islands Zembra and Zembretta. Date: May 10, 2015
- Photo walk in the National Park Ichkeul. Date: May 24, 2015
- Workshop Upload photos. Date: May 31, 2015
- Final Ceremony Distribution of prices and pictures exhibition. Date: early September
Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia in Tunisia, and indirectly all projects using Wikimedia Commons media files.
Fit with strategyEdit
- Increasing reach
- Creating partnerships with photo clubs, cultural centers and professional photographers to target potential contributors to Wikimedia Commons and off-line activities, increasing the quality of the content uploaded on commons.
- Through the national contest and massive online and offline marketing/activities we will target contributions from all regions of the country
- Increasing reach
- Increasing participation
- On boarding and educating new contributors through direct communication and providing support material/brochures to keep the contributors involved on the Wikimedia Movements, based on the support from active and experienced contributors as well. Based on that approach we intend to improve the user's contributions retention after the contest.
- Increasing participation
Measures of successEdit
- Number of participating : 25
- Number of photos uploaded: 2,000
- Number of new users:15
- 4 months after the contest, 500 (and 25%) of photos are used on wiki projects
- 4 months after the event, 100 (and 5%) of uploaded photos are categorized as valued, quality or featured
- The prizes are handed early September 2014
Resources and risksEdit
Wikimedia TN user group has organized wiki loves Monuments on 2013 and on 2014 and participate in Wiki Loves Africa 2014 with more than 3500 pictures but without having applied for a grant, we always found problem to organize event without a grant.
- Social media channels
- low level of participation
- how minimize: improving the marketing online and offline, promote more activities than last year, create local partnerships with other organizations and photo events/organizations
- low level of engagement of active contributions
- how minimize: improving the communication with active contributors through the mail lists, wikipedia, commons and IRC. Increasing the level of external participation and contribution
- Project budget table
|Rubric||Number||Unit price||Total TND||Total USD||Notes|
|Presentation about Wiki Loves Earth May 2, 2015||1||200||200||102,39||Local rental and coffee break|
|Workshop Upload photos May, 31 2015||1||200||200||102,39||Local rental and coffee break|
|Photo walk in the National Park of the Islands Zembra and Zembretta May 10,2015||1||1200||1200||614,32||rental costs of the bus and boat|
|Photo walk in the National Park Ichkeul May 24, 2015||1||600||600||307,16||rental costs of the bus|
|Final Ceremony [ Distribution of prices and pictures exhibition ]||1||500||500||255,97|
|Printing of 10 Best Photos||10||50||500||255,97|
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.