Grants:PEG/Wikimedia Ghana User Group/GLAM GHANA/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
- Partially, since we are still awaiting metadata to finally upload all the data we have.
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
- The originally activities planned for this project were;
|Initial Plan||Activities Executed||Notes|
|WIR||WIR||To digitize resources available|
|3 Editathons||NIL||To reuse content obtained|
|Press Meeting||Launch and press meeting||Introduced the project as an opportunity to collaborate to saver the detoriating state of archival holdings and donation for free knowledge.
Established our presence and activities (was featured in the Daily Graphic, The Statesman and on Radio).
|NIL||Coordinator||Was later approved to ensure representation at committee meetings and other partnership and media meetings to avoid interruption with WIR work|
|NIL||5 Training session||The organisation requested for ancillary training to understand the opportunities of putting their contents up and how to track its benefits (a Google affiliate trainer was invited for this purpose). We also used the opportunity to teach the staff about Wikipedia.|
- What worked well?
- Our persistence and ability to negotiate openly helped us revive the relationship and the re approval to start the project.
- Our great team spirit was useful as we were able to make it to every meeting requested by the partner, even if it meant only one person attending.
- Identifying their needs and using our network to provide such help, played a critical role in our negotiation and re-approval.
- What didn't work?
- The funding of the project stalled for more than 6 months causing a delay in starting the project. This affected the agreement since it coincided with a change in leadership which we had warned earlier.
- Our inability to have our way and receive documents in time for digitization. Officers often didn't provide documents on time and this affected our general desired output.
- Our inability to ensure that the agreement was keenly adhered to. Some desired documents were never given to us even though it was agreed upon.
- Obtaining the right metadata. Officers didn't have enough knowledge about the documents hence provided inaccurate metadata.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- Recruit a staff of the institution as a WIR Enforce agreement by ensuring their commitment through using their staff
- Allow the partner institution to recruit a WIR for the project. We believe this will place the responsibility of providing all that is required to ensure success of the project.
- I will do a search and be sure there is available or enough metadata on the subject of interest before finally commencing digitisation.
Outcomes and impactEdit
- Provide the original project goal here.
- Our goal is to increase Ghanaian content on Wikipedia.This will be done by creating a depository for Ghanaian contents which hitherto were not on Wikipedia and its sister projects which will enhance accessibility of Ghanaian history and heritage and also make it easier for editors to establish notability of Ghanaian people, events and occurrences as it require by the Wikipedia notability rule.
- This will include taking pictures of various museums and mausoleums as well as buildings of historical importance and national monuments.
- Pictures of artifacts, paintings, wood carvings and metal work in the museums which will be permitted.
- Maps, city plans, plans of major buildings, etc.
- Government documents such as agreements, treaties, bonds, etc. Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- Yes, because the final recommendation for funding directed us to work with the National Archives.
- In view of that, we clearly achieved the goal of digitising maps, building plans, president speeches, etc as stipulated in the goals above.
Progress towards targets and goalsEdit
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||5||We trained 8 staff of the national archives and 5 have stayed on to be active.|
|2. # of new editors||8||8 new staff were trained as editors through the project.|
|3. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||NIL||We have not yet been able to host an editathon for the project due to execessive delays from the partner institution in providing even metadata for the documents digitised. This has also reflected in the remaining grant funds.|
|4. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||123 media files uploaded||We digitized 123 different documents including maps, building plans of slave castles, old newspapers, documents and small books. The breakdown includes 63 single files & 60 multiple paged documents.|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- Our work on this project has increased the motivation of some contributors who are know actively engaged with the community. Most of which are staff of the National Archives. One of whom has gone ahead to be a member of our core team and has been a recipient of 2 scholarships from the Wikimedia Foundation.
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
We have also through this project trained staff of the National Archives who contribute to Wikipedia in their individual capacities. We have seen some of them participate in our edit-a-thons and contribute articles.
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
Through this project we have increased Ghanaian related materials on Wikimedia commons and improved the quantity of Ghanaian related materials to be consumed by users. These contents will be used improve contents by providing visuals on Wikipedia and on other Wikis and improve the quality of some Wikimedia projects especially in situations these can be used for citiations.
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
We were able to introduce Wikipedia and its sister projects to over 100 new people who came to understand WIkipedia and its sister projects better and how they work during the launch of the project.
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|ITEMS||QUANTITY||UNIT PRICE GHC||TOTAL PRICE GHC||TOTAL PRICE USD||NOTES|
|WIR||6000||Payment for Wikipedian in residence|
|Coordinator||700||Payment for project coordinator role|
|Media||4||200||800||200||These were honorarium paid to media people present at the launch of the campaign. This got the project featured in the national newspaper, Daily Graphic.|
|Internet||1||250||250||63||This internet was initially purchased in 2016 in anticipation of start of project only to be stalled for about a year so it was literally a waste of funds towards the project.|
|Internet||1||399||399||90||Purchased for use in upload of digitised content.|
|5 Staff trainings||50||35||1750||370||This item was required after the review of the agreement and was one of the enticing elements for approval for the project.|
|Trainer Honorarium||5||150||750||160||This was an honorarium given to the training affiliate of Google invite to deliver the digital skills training for staff.|
|Transportation||5||40||200||44||Transportation for logistics (food, water and drinks) towards the 5 day staff trainings.|
|Committee Meeting||14||15||210||46||A committee of 7 was set by the institution to plan the launch and some activities during the project phase. We met only twice during the project duration.|
|Internet for setup of PC||1||30||30||8||Internet used to setup the PC when acquired.
|Transportation for meetings||7||100||700||175||Within the one year when the project was put on hold, we had to travel to meetings and do several follow ups. We had to visit the institution on 7 different occasions to get the approval to final start.|
|Launch of project||1||843.21||843.21||201||This was not part of the initial plan as we just planned a press conference, however the partner institution insisted having an event and inviting other civil servants and the public. There were over 110 people in attendance.|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- Total amount spent on this project
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- We intend to use the unused funds for future events or willing to send as required by the WMF.