Compliance and completionEdit
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Is your project completed?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Did you use any of the grant funds?
- Answer YES or NO.
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
This section describes what the grantee did, and what the grantee learned from implementing the project. This section should be useful to others implementing similar projects and is an opportunity for the grantee to reflect on the project's performance.
- Provide a detailed list of activities performed to complete this project, descriptions of these activities, and the amount of time spent on each activity. This section should also include a list of participants, or a link to pictures, blog posts, or videos from the project or event.
- Organized a thematic week (month) or writing contest to create articles about the sportspeople in Ukrainian, English and Simple English Wikipedia (Ukrainian);
- Conducted government outreach and engagement via meetings with National Paralympic Committee of Ukraine representatives ;
- Sent four Ukrainian Wikimedians to the Sochi Paralympic Games as accredited reporters representing the Wikimedia Movement, they are going to take and upload pictures, to write articles (Wikipedia and Wikinews), to interview people etc (Fed4ev, Ilya, OlgaKolomoets and Yakudza).
- What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects? Consider the following questions and respond with 1 - 2 paragraphs.
- What went well?
- a thematic week (month of Olympic and Paralympic Games) in Ukrainian Wikipedia was organized. During the month (from February 11 to March 23) 140 articles were created, 7 were improved. In spite of all that was happening in the country, people have found time and desire to write about sportspeople. At that moment Olympic and Paralympic Games were believed to play their ancient role, that is to bring peace. We have a database for creating stubs about sportspeople in Ukrainian Wikipedia, but this work requires some time to prepare to be done smoothly
- we were able to get in touch with National Paralympic Committee of Ukraine representatives. They has provided us with some materials about the members of Ukrainian team and thus we have articles in Ukrainian about every member of the team (but for the leaders): uk:Україна на зимових Паралімпійських іграх 2014). We are going to have a joint project with them in autumn, to create articles about Paralympics. They even provided us with a picture of uk:Максимов Дмитро В'ячеславович, a Paralympian athlete who was killed on the 18th of February in Kyiv.
- four people were sent to Sochi Paralympic Games as accredited reporters representing the Wikimedia Movement, they took and uploaded pictures, to wrote articles in Ukrainian Wikipedia and Wikinews, interviewed people etc.
- What did not go well?
- A lot of people in Ukraine were afraid of the last day of the Games being the first day of war, thus it was difficult to expect people to contribute more. Every few minutes something new was happening, reading news and keeping a watchful eye on facebook page is not the best environment for creating and improving articles. After a kind of "cold war" began, it was a bit strange to create articles about occupants' Games. Even our National Paralympic Team was not going to Sochi for sure. It was not easy to actually keep calm and be neutral, talk with Russians, live in their country, listen to them talking about Ukrainians being in the wrong (mostly Ukrainians contribute in Ukrainian Wikipedia). Considering this it was difficult to have the impact we have intended to have when the project was started almost a year before.
- We were unable to get the polo shirts, laptop backpack bags and pins (requested as WMF non-financial assistance), as there was a trouble of getting the media accreditations (there were problems with delivery to Ukraine due to the war-like situation in February), and we were actually not sure of getting these documents at all, thus we have not placed our order for these souvenirs early enough for WMF to be able to deliver them in time.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- Conducting the project in spite of everything was a daring thing to do. It is still unclear if it was not wise to call it off altogether. The team has gained some valuable experience anyway. But doing the project during a more peaceful time would be preferred. Unfortunately there was nothing we could do about this.
Project goal and measures of successEdit
This section should reference the project goals and measures of success described in the approved grant submission. See Grants:PEG/WM UA/Wikimedians to the Games to review the goals and metrics listed in the approved submission.
- Provide the project goal here.
- Develop a framework for facilitate Wikinews article translation from one language to another, and facilitate the project impact when doing major event programming.
- Facilitate content creation on multiple language Wikipedias about Paralympians, the Paralympic Games and disability sport in general.
- Improve Ukrainian language labeling on Commons for Paralympic related content, and create Ukrainian Paralympic content on Commons.
- Develop a model of success that will enable Ukrainian Wikinews and Commons photographers to attend major sporting, cultural and political events as recognized members of the media.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 paragraphs.
- We have been able to get in touch with National Paralympic Committee of Ukraine representatives, thus we would be able to attend their events and to have some fruitful cooperation here. We have created Ukrainian Paralympic content on Commons and in Wikipedia (we have articles for every member of the team now) and believe to have more from the previous years, before-internet ones, if we are allowed to upload their archives (at least a part of it). But due to the circumstances, we were not successful enough in developing a framework for facilitating Wikinews article translation from one language to another and content creation on multiple language Wikipedias about Paralympians, the Paralympic Games and disability sport in general, the Sochi team was too Ukrainian-oriented during the Grant period. We are in the process of negotiating with National Paralympic Committee of Ukraine to have a writing contest (thematic week) about Paralympic Games this autumn (summer is not productive at all, too many people have vacations and students go home for these months).
Measures of successEdit
[[File:|thumb|right|200px|Ukrainian paralympic skier Olena Iurkovska in Sochi]]
- List the measures of success exactly as provided in the approved grant submission, and evaluate your project according to each measure listed there.
- 500,000 views across Wikimedia projects related to content created in directly related to Paralympic original reporting efforts during March
- Increase the relative traffic ranking Ukrainian Wikinews and overall traffic by at least 20,000 views for March compared to the previous months
- 50% of Wikinews related content created during the Games translated to one or more languages
- Twitter and Facebook reach for Wikinews and Wikipedia content generated during the Games of 1 million plus
- Going into the Paralympic Village to interview sportpeople from the USA, Ukraine or Spain.
- Audio, video and photo content from the Paralympic Games being used on 15 or more different language Wikimedia projects.
- Provide an overall assessment of how your project went according to these measures.
- There were around 500,000 views across Wikimedia projects related to the Paralympics (ukwp, enwp, ukwn, enwn, ruwn etc).
- The page views per month increased during February (76k) and March (82k) comparing to January and April-May (+17k March to January).
- We were able to interview some sportspeople (f. ex, here and here), some news have been translated into English and Russian, shared via facebook pages (Wikinews, Wikipedia and Wikimedia Ukraine).
- Photo content used in exactly 15 projects so far (we expect to upload more images in October once FOP provisions in Russia take effect, as we also have a number of photos containing with copyrighted buildings or structures)
- If you were to plan a similar project, would you measure it differently? If yes, please explain how.
- No, had the situation been better, the project could have easily been one of the greatest in our history. The problem with the achievement of the project goals lies elsewhere.
This section ties this project to Wikimedia's broader goals, and shows what the project accomplished.
- What impact did this project have on WMF's mission and the strategic goals? Please answer in 1 -2 paragraphs and include specific measures of impact such as the number of readers or editors reached by a particular project, or the number of articles edited or improved.
The project already provided us with the materials for all members of Ukrainian National Paralympic Team and the newly established good ties with the National Paralympic Committee of Ukraine will help us getting more texts and photos. It will therefore primarily benefit the quality of Ukrainian Wikipedia and Russian and English ones as well.
- increased reach and participation: we have got to know a bunch of Ukrainian Paralympic athletes, and we are going to have a joint project with the National Paralympic Committee of Ukraine to be aimed at people with people with disabilities as well
- quality (more free pictures to illustrate the articles with, improving quality of content about people with disabilities): category
- credibility (more trust in our projects, f. ex., Wikipedia, Wikinews and Wikivoyage): we were able to create the articles about the whole Ukrainian team, thus people could read about our athletes more during the Games
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (the success of the project will depend on the volunteers dedicated to working on it, the goal is to build a program to grow on): as there are some future steps already planned, we believe that this goal was successfully reached, as the program is to grow on
- financial sustainability (we are going to establish new contacts that may be useful for us in future): that greatly depends on the situation in the country. the National Paralympic Committee of Ukraine will introduce us to some partners, interested in improving disability sport content in Ukrainian Wikipedia, but it depends. Our other concern in this matter is our fear that writing contests actually decrease the number of people willing to contribute for free, as volunteers, thus conducting an edit-a-thon / a thematic week (month) is better. We had a flashmob on April 27, dedicated to the deceased wikipedian Ig2000. People have created around one thousand articles in Ukrainian Wikipedia during this one day. Of course, the motivation was really strong. And this event cannot be conducted regularly.
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
- These expenses should be listed in the same format as the budget table in your approved submission so that anyone reading this report may be able to easily compare budgeted vs. actual expenses.
- Note that variances in the project budget over 10% per expense category must be approved in advance by Project and Event Grants program staff. For all other variances, please provide an explanation in the table below.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1.1||Travel||Train tickets Kyiv-Adler||ticket||4||6073.37 UAH /
|1.2||Travel||Train tickets Adler-Kyiv||ticket||4||6040.36 UAH /
|1.3||Travel||Train tickets Donetsk-Kyiv-Donetsk||ticket||2||136,13 UAH /
|-||31.34||USD||There was no need for this|
|2.1||Accommodation||3-beds common room||night||10||5537.01 UAH /
|470.23||587.43||USD||The exchange rates for 28FEB14 and 07MAR14 were used|
|2.2||Accommodation||2-beds common room||night||4||718.27 UAH /
|61.00||198.81||USD||The exchange rates for 13MAR14 was used|
|3||Per diems||Per diems||days (4 participants)||10||11 730.00 UAH /
|996.18||1000.00||USD||3 participants x 10 days, 1 participant x 4 days (345.00 UAH / 29.30 USD per day)|
|4||Communication||Post expenses||project||1||49.47 EUR /
|67.65||67.93||USD||Mailing media accreditations to Ukraine|
|5||Bank fees||Bank fees||project||1||191.63 UAH /
|-||22.06||USD||We would cover this budget line from our main grant|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 3656.33 USD
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if the Project and Event Grant is your only funding source)
- 3067.93 USD
- Total amount spent on this project (this total should be the total calculated from the table above)
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project (this total will be the same as the total amount spent if the Project and Event Grant is your only funding source)
- Are there additional sources of revenue that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- It was not possible for WM UA to actually get the grant funds in time, thus volunteers used their own money, so WM UA will reimburse them as soon as WM UA gets the funds
- This tool was used to calculate total views for category trees
- Page Views for Wikinews was used here
- We believe that this possibility is to be thoroughly researched
- Fed4ev could join only for four nights (5 days)
- The exchange rate for 14FEB14 was used