- 1 Basic information
- 2 Goals and measures of success
- 3 Project scope and activities
- 4 Budget and resources
- 5 Impact
- Official project name
- Wikimedians to the Games
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- 7 January 2014
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
- 31 March 2014
- Please describe the project in 1–2 sentences
- Over the course of three months, we will be engaged in community outreach to improve disability sport content in Ukrainian, English and Simple English Wikipedia in connect to the Paralympic Games taking place in Sochi. At the same time, a roadmap will be developed for creating a sustainable project allowing for cross language efforts to do original reporting at major sporting events using the Paralympic Games as the framework.
- Currency requested
- Amount requested in currency requested
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
- 8.6869 UAH per 1 USD 
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- What is the official name of the organization requesting this grant?
- Wikimedia Ukraine
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Answer ORGANIZATION, INDIVIDUAL, or GROUP.
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- Answer YES or NO.
- If you answered YES, please indicate how many. You may use fractions or percentages for part-time staff if appropriate.
- EX: 4 fulltime staff and 2 part-time contractors (50% each).
- If yes, please provide a list of their job functions, or a link to your organization's staff page, if it lists all employees and contractors employed or engaged by your organization.
- EX: A complete list of staff and contractors is available at http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors.
- Primary contact name
- Mykola Kozlenko / Микола Козленко
- Primary contact username or email
- NickK, mycola-k at ukr dot net
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
- Deputy Chair of the Board — Treasurer of Wikimedia Ukraine
If this project will be executed by someone other than the primary contact for your organization, please list that person's details here:
- Project lead name
- Bohdan Melnychuk / Богдан Мельничук
- Project lead username or email
- Base, base-w at yandex dot ru
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Organization Member
Goals and measures of successEdit
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goal
- Develop a framework for facilitate Wikinews article translation from one language to another, and facilitate the project impact when doing major event programming.
- Facilitate content creation on multiple language Wikipedias about Paralympians, the Paralympic Games and disability sport in general.
- Improve Ukrainian language labeling on Commons for Paralympic related content, and create Ukrainian Paralympic content on Commons.
- Develop a model of success that will enable Ukrainian Wikinews and Commons photographers to attend major sporting, cultural and political events as recognized members of the media.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed.
- Measures of success
- 500,000 views across Wikimedia projects related to content created in directly related to Paralympic original reporting efforts during March
- Increase the relative traffic ranking Ukrainian Wikinews and overall traffic by at least 20,000 views for March compared to the previous months
- 50% of Wikinews related content created during the Games translated to one or more languages
- Twitter and Facebook reach for Wikinews and Wikipedia content generated during the Games of 1 million plus
- Going into the Paralympic Village to interview sportpeople from the USA, the Ukraine or Spain.
- Audio, video and photo content from the Paralympic Games being used on 15 or more different language Wikimedia projects
Project scope and activitiesEdit
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
- List of activities
- to organize an edit-a-thon / a thematic week (month) or writing contest to create articles about the sportspeople in Ukrainian, English and Simple English Wikipedia;
- to conduct government outreach and engagement via meetings with National Paralympic Committee of Ukraine representatives ;
- to send four Ukrainian Wikimedians to the Sochi Paralympic Games as accredited reporters representing the Wikimedia Movement, they are going to take and upload pictures, to write articles (Wikipedia and Wikinews), to interview people etc.
Budget and resourcesEdit
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget tableEdit
|Number||Item description||Unit||Qty||Cost per unit UAH /USD||Total cost USD||WMF contribution (USD)||Other sources (USD)||Notes|
|1.1||Travel: Train tickets Kyiv-Adler||ticket||4||1263.25 UAH /
|581.68||581.68||Airtickets are more expensive (app. one way is 2000,00 UAH). But travelling by train will take 28 hours. Ukrainians do not need visas for this travel|
|1.2||Travel: Train tickets Adler-Kyiv||ticket||4||1263.25 UAH /
|581.68||581.68||There is no train on the 16th, so they are to spend an extra night in the hotel|
|1.3||Travel: Train tickets Donetsk-Kyiv-Donetsk||ticket||2||136,13 UAH /
|31.34||31.34||One participant lives in Donetsk, so we are to include his travel to and from Kyiv|
|2.1||Accommodation: 3-beds common room||night||10||5102.96 UAH /
|2.2||Accommodation: 2-beds common room||night||10||1700.99 UAH /
|3||Per diems||days (4 participants)||10||345.00 UAH /
|1588.40||1000.00||588.40||This will cover all the needs that may arise, including internet access, visas, ATM fees, telephone and incidental expenses.|
|4||Post expenses||project||1||49.47 EUR /
|67.93||67.93||Mailing media accreditations to Ukraine|
|5||Bank fees||project||1||191.63 UAH /
- Total cost of project
- 3656.33 USD
- Total amount requested from the WMF Grants Program
- 3067.93 USD
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
See a description of nonfinancial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- We need 2 polo shirts for each reporter (that's 8 polo shirts total), 4 Wikimedia laptop backpack bags, and about 150 Wikimedia related pins (project irrelevant) that are the nice metal ones.
- We may want to publish a blog post on our project on WMF's blog. We will need help reaching out to the communications team at WMF to coordinate this.
This section is optional. It may be used to highlight the potential grantee's potential for successfully executing this project.
Consider including the following information:
- List of team members (names or usernames):
- Onwiki evidence of community support (such as a project about this discussion): we have Winter Olympics and Sport project and a Ice Hockey project, but thematic weeks (months) work better in our community.
- Endorsements from community members or movement groups: Winter Olympics month has started on February, 11. We are going to have this month prolonged to include Paralympics.
- Special skills or qualifications this potential grantee or project lead brings to this project:
- These four volunteers (Sochi team) have already passed the two stages of the accreditation process as members of the media (via USOC). This accreditation from the USA Paralympics would allow these people to have media access to the Sochi Paralympics.
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects:
- We shall have free access to really good equipment (we already have media acreditation from USOC) and our chapter has a good camera and photo equipment that can be used too.
- We also have professional recording equipment.
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategyEdit
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See WMF Grants Program criteria for decisionmaking.
- This project will:
- increase reach and participation (especially amongst people with disabilities),
- quality (more free pictures to illustrate the articles with, improving quality of content about people with disabilities),
- credibility (more trust in our projects, f. ex., Wikipedia, Wikinews and Wikivoyage),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (the success of the project will depend on the volunteers dedicated to working on it, the goal is to build a program to grow on),
- financial sustainability (we are going to establish new contacts that may be useful for us in future).
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- Ukrainian, English and Simple English Wikipedia, Wikinews and Wikivoyage directly. And all the other Wiki projects via Wikimedia Commons pictures
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- This project falls into Outreach and Editor retention program areas.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- The success of the project will provide us with additional opportunities to attend major sporting events as recognised reporters, providing opportunities for photographers, making it easier to develop partnerships with sport organizations.
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- The project will make information available in Ukrainian about sports, elite athletes, female athletes, sport people, and developing a resource for use by the general public.