Grants:PEG/WM ID/Areca Vestiaria Bird Club - Discover Biodiversity of Sulawesi Photographs/Report
Compliance and completionEdit
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Is your project completed?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Camera purchasing
- YES, purchased on 24 May 2014
- ON GOING
- Did you use any of the grant funds?
- Answer YES or NO.
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
|September 6, 2013||Arief Rahman requested a grant to purchase DSLR camera and tele lenses to capture birds of Sulawesi photographs.|
|October 18, 2013||Arief Rahman revised the grant request to Grants:PEG/WM ID/Areca Vestiaria Bird Club - Discover Biodiversity of Sulawesi Photographs on behalf of Areca Vestiaria Bird Club(AV Birder) and requested support from Wikimedia Indonesia|
|November 2, 2013||Wikimedia Indonesia stated support to AV Birder grant request with several terms and conditions.|
|December 25, 2013||Asaf Bartov on behalf of WMF informed that the grant request is approved, following terms set out by WMID.|
|December 30, 2013||AV Birder fulfilled initial conditions by uploading 100 pictures to Commons, and Arief Rahman was invited to receive training by Wikimedia Indonesia in Jakarta.|
|January 9 - 11, 2014||Training I in Jakarta discussing Wikimedia Commons, Creative Commons License, and Wikidata with Wikimedia Indonesia.|
|April 2, 2014||Wikimedia Indonesia received US$ 3,285 transfer from WMF.|
|May 20, 2014||AV Birder completed 600 nature-themed picture contributions to Commons, as required by WMID prior to receiving the camera.|
|May 22 - 28, 2014||Training II in Jakarta discussing completion of reports and camera purchasing.|
|June 2014 - Desember 2015||Collecting biodiversity of Sulawesi photographs and upload all the pictures to Wikimedia Commons. Details can be seen in monthly report|
Training I in JakartaEdit
- 9 January 2014 | Wikimedia Indonesia Basecamp, Jakarta | 3 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Arief Rahman was introduced to the basics of writing activity, narrative, and financial reports. Siska Doviana showed examples and guidelines on how to do reporting on Wikimedia Meta.
- 10 January 2014 | Wikimedia Indonesia Basecamp, Jakarta | 2 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Arief Rahman and John Vandenberg had a discussion regarding general overview of contributing at Wikimedia Commons. Arief Rahman told John Vandenberg that he is already familiar and understand about geo-tagging and technicals of uploading pictures. However Arief Rahman expressed his struggles and difficulties about categorizing and putting description on Wikimedia Commons.
- In categorizing, Arief Rahman was introduced about categorizing picture files that can answer 5W+1H (What? Who? Where? When? Why? How?) and also special or unique categories that can differentiate a particular picture or picture group from all pictures uploaded on the Wikimedia Commons repository. An example of a special category made by Arief Rahman can be seen here.
- Making a detailed picture description. Arief Rahman was taught that the availability of more languages on a picture descriptin means better information for other wikimedians and for the public.
- Introduction to Valued Images dan Featured Pictures on Wikimedia Commons and the criteria for nominations. Arief Rahman made a nomination for Valued images that can be seen here.
- 11 January 2014 | Wikimedia Indonesia Basecamp, Jakarta.
- Wikimedia Commons Training by Wikimedia Indonesia was open to public and the information was published via social media. Three participants attended the training: Apri Widiastuti, Akhlis Purnomo, and Fitri Yanti, all were never contributed on Commons beforehand.
- 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.: Introduction to Wikimedia Commons by John Vandenberg. The training began with a general introduction to Wikimedia Commons, types of contributions, making an account on Wikimedia Commons, trial contribution by adding descriptions in other languages on the following picture. Isabella Apriyana assisted John with English language translation for the participants.
- 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.: Training on financial report by Hendra Prastiawan (Deputy Treasurer of Wikimedia Indonesia). Arief Rahman was trained to make tables and include several parameters on wikitable. An example of a table made by Arief Rahman can be seen in the following Wikimedia Meta expense report page.
Uploading 600 nature-themed pictures to Wikimedia CommonsEdit
To fulfill Wikimedia Indonesia's condition of uploading 600 nature-themed photographs to Wikimedia Commons, AV Birder created Wikimedia Commons Category:Uploaded by AVBirder. Category contained photographs from Areca Vestiaria Bird Club member and uploaded pictures via Flickr.
During the uploading process, John Vandenberg train Arief Rahman via Internet to improve the information of each species in Wikidata of contributing photos.
- Uploading period:
- November 2013 - May 2014
- Requirements for a counted contribution:
- At least two languages on description (English and Bahasa Indonesia)
- Category should include species information, time, and location
- Own photographs (a non-flickr source) must be geo-tagged
Training II in JakartaEdit
|May 22, 2014||Arrived in Jakarta|
|May 23, 2014||Disburse dollar funds at the bank with Siska Doviana and Ivonne Kristiani. Amount disbursed is $3,285 exchanged into ID Rp. 37,539,050 with a rate of ID Rp. 11,427.4 per $1 USD. In the afternoon, Arief placed an order for a camera, lens, and tripod, as well as checking binocular prices and Ivonne Kristiani pay for down payment.
The prices for camera and tripod is cheaper than AV Birder grant request.
|May 24, 2014||Pick up the camera, lens, and tripod|
|May 25-28, 2014||Narration and expenses report completion with Isabella Apriyana at Wikimedia Indonesia basecamp. Purchasing binoculars on 26th May.|
Collecting Biodiversity of Sulawesi PhotographsEdit
Details of this activities can be seen in monthly report
|June, 2014||Collecting photographs in Manado and Warembungan. Total of 12 photographs has been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
|July, 2014||Collecting photographs in Manado and Mount Mahawu. Total of 19 photographs has been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
|August, 2014||Collecting photographs in Manado, Mount Mahawu and Warembungan. Total of 8 photographs has been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
|September, 2014||Collecting photographs in Manado, Mount Mahawu, Tomohon and Warembungan. Total of 10 photographs has been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
|October, 2014||Collecting photographs in Manado, Mount Mahawu and Mount Ambang. Total of 37 photographs has been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
|November, 2014||Collecting photographs in Manado. Total of 6 photographs has been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
|December, 2014||Nikon Lens AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED is fell and damaged by accident.|
|March, 2015||Nikon Lens AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED has been repaired, but the lens work not well.|
|April, 2015||Arief's managed to borrow other lens. Collecting photographs in Manado, Bahowo and Tangkoko. Total of 14 photographs has been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
|May, 2015||Collecting photographs in Bahowo. Total of 8 photographs has been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
|June, 2015||Collecting photographs in Bahoi and Mount Soputan. Total of 9 photographs has been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
|July, 2015||Collecting photographs in Mount Mahawu. Total of 14 photographs has been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
|August, 2015||Collecting photographs in Batuputih. Total of 15 photographs has been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
|September, 2015||Collecting photographs in Batuputih. Total of 7 photographs has been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
|October - November, 2014||No photographs collected.|
|December, 2015||Collecting photographs in Warembungan. Single photograph has been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
- What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects? Consider the following questions and respond with 1 - 2 paragraphs.
- What went well?
- Training I and II in Jakarta went well, plus online training and monitoring by Wikimedia Indonesia. After training I in Jakarta, Arief Rahman introduced Wikimedia Commons, how to contribute, and the Creative Commons license to his team in Manado who all never contributed to any Wikimedia project before. Ten people on the team have been contributing eversince, including 6 photographers who have uploaded their private picture collections on Wikimedia Commons. All of the photographs taken by AV Birder were released under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 (CC-BY-SA 3.0) license.
- What did not go well?
- Completion of 600 photos contribution to Wikimedia Commons which supposed to be in March 2014, was delayed to May 2014. Reasons being were poor internet access and connection in Manado and also extended time needed to sharing new knowledge and train AV Birder in Manado about the project and how to contribute using wiki platform.
- No photographs uploaded in Desember 2014 to March 2015 because Nikon Lens AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED is being repaired. The lens is fell and damaged by accident.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- In a similar project, we would invite Wikimedia Indonesia staff or experienced Wikimedian to provide training in Manado.
Project goal and measures of successEdit
This section should reference the project goals and measures of success described in the approved grant submission. See Grants:PEG/WM ID/Areca Vestiaria Bird Club - Discover Biodiversity of Sulawesi Photographs to review the goals and metrics listed in the approved submission.
- Provide the project goal here.
- Project goal 1: Uploading 600 nature-themed photos in Wikimedia Commons prior to purchasing cameras and equipment. This project goal was added as conditions of Wikimedia Indonesia's support to the grant request.
- Project goal 2: Collect biodiversity of Sulawesi Photographs (especially birds, mammals, butterflies, and other fauna and flora) in high quality and upload it to Wikimedia Commons under free license. Every month for two years, we will do at least one time exploration, upload all the biodiversity pictures that we shoot, and then create/develope the article at English and Indonesia Wikipedia about the object.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 paragraphs.
Measures of successEdit
- List the measures of success exactly as provided in the approved grant submission, and evaluate your project according to each measure listed there.
- 1.) Project goal 1: Uploading 600 nature-themed photographs to Wikimedia Commons.
- AV Birder has uploaded 607 photos. 193 photos are taken by AV Birder team in North Sulawesi by 7 people and all released under CC-BY-SA 3.0 license, and 414 photos were CC-licensed Flickr images.
- 2.) Project goal 2:
- We will consider this project a success if every month for two years project date, we have uploaded pictures on Commons Wikimedia and created/developed the article on Wikipedia English and Indonesia. We will send monthly report.
- (ON GOING)
- Provide an overall assessment of how your project went according to these measures.
- 1.) Project goal 1:
- The list following is number of contributions before AV Birder own the camera and equipments
- a) Number of AV Birder contributors: 11
- b) Number of photos uploaded: 881
- c) Number of photos uploaded approved by WMID: 607
- d) Numbers of photos taken by AV Birder: 193
- 2.) Project goal 2:
- (ON GOING)
- If you were to plan a similar project, would you measure it differently? If yes, please explain how.
This section ties this project to Wikimedia's broader goals, and shows what the project accomplished.
- What impact did this project have on WMF's mission and the strategic goals? Please answer in 1 -2 paragraphs and include specific measures of impact such as the number of readers or editors reached by a particular project, or the number of articles edited or improved.
- Increase participation
- A total of 11 AV Birder team members has contributed to Wikimedia Commons
- Improve quality
- The photos of the species have been identified accurately and has increased the quality of Wikimedia Commons by providing free, good quality photographs of hard-to-find/rare/unique species. We used field guide book and other resources to identify species, we also asked our lecturer in Agriculture and Forestry Science to help species identification. These photos will also help other individuals seeking to identify species through internet resources.