- Legal name of organization or individual requesting this grant
- Wikimedia Chile
- Grant contact name
- Osmar Valdebenito
- Grant contact username or email
- Grant contact title (position)
- Full project name
- Ibero-American Wikimedia Submit 2012
- Amount requested in USD or local currency (USD will be assumed if no other currency is specified)
- 25,000 USD
- Provisional target start date
- March 15th, 2012
- Provisional completion date
- June 2nd, 2012
|Cost per unit
|Units||Total cost |
|Buenos Aires via LAN / A. Arg.||2|
|La Paz via LAN||300||2||600|
|Brasilia via TAM/LAN||570||1||570|
|Rio de Janeiro via TAM/LAN||550||1||550|
|Recife via TAM/LAN||750||1||750|
|Bogotá via LAN||680||1||680|
|Bucaramanga via Avianca||710||1||710|
|Madrid via Iberia/LAN||1.600||2||3.200|
|Milán via Alitalia/AirFrance||1.700||1||1.700|
|Bologna via Alitalia/TAM||1.700||1||1.700|
|Ciudad de México via Aeroméxico||1.100||1||1.100|
|Guadalajara via COPA||1.350||1||1.350|
|Panamá via TACA/Avianca||1.100||1||1.100|
|Lima via LAN||420||2||840|
|Porto via TAP/LAN||1.600||1||1.600|
|Montevideo via Pluna||330||2||660|
|Caracas via LAN||900||1||900|
|Valencia via Avianca/TACA||900||1||900|
|Quadruple hotel rooms at downtown - 4 nights||417||6||2.500|
|Lunch for Friday and Saturday||11||30 x 2||660|
|Coffee break for Fri-Sat-Sun||5||30 x 3||450|
|Reserves (10% of the total)||2.296|
The second Ibero-American Wikimedia Summit will be a meeting of delegates from Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Italy, México, Panamá (new), Portugal, Spain, Uruguay, Venezuela and possibly Perú (new). The summit includes not only representatives of the active Wikimedia chapters in the region, but also working groups and non-affiliated enthusiasts interested in the realization of Wikimedia-related activities in their countries. Members of the Board of the Wikimedia Foundation and other international guests may take part on the event.
We expect to improve the results of 2011 summit, where the advice and information given to the working groups of that time was essential for their constitution, development and recognition as Wikimedia chapters. The organization of the Wikimedia movement has had a great improvement in the past year after the Summit helped to develop mutual communication and permanent collaboration bounds between groups. We expect to continue this line, strengthening the current groups and fostering the development of new ones.
This year, we want to continue our work on education (Wikipedia en el aula, EducaRed), indigenous languages, coordinated PR activities, and outreach projects, including GLAM agreements and events like “Wiki Loves Monuments” (we’re coordinating at the regional level), proposing more concrete projects for the 2012-2013 period.
The proposed schedule of the event can be seen here (in Spanish).
Project scope and list of activitiesEdit
This grant is intented to fund the participation of two delegates from the groups involved in Iberocoop, including their travel to Santiago, accommodation for four nights (Thursday 31 May to Sunday 3 June) and the catering for the conference.
Wikimedia Chile has valued with local travel agencies the airplane tickets and has looked for hostels where to accommodate the delegates. Once the grant is approved, Wikimedia Chile will coordinate the travel of the delegates (unless the Foundation decides to do it by itself) and their stay in Santiago, and will hire the catering services for the days of the conference.
The local chapter will organize the local team of volunteers helping the execution of the summit and its documentation. Also, Wikimedia Chile will fund the printing of documents related to the event (program, folders, etc.), some merchandising and the opening event for the participants of the summit.
None. It’s up to the Foundation to decide if they prefer to finance air travel though the regular grant process or they rather decide to manage booking directly. In that case we would need WMF staff to deal with arranging air travel specifics with the participants.
Fit to strategyEdit
Our proposal fits to several of the guidelines proposed by the Strategic Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation, namely:
- Increasing reach: this summit will foster the presence of the Wikimedia movement on a local level in Latin America and Southern Europe.
- Participation: new groups will be empowered to develop new activities, increasing the number of volunteers and broadening the movement to new audiences in the so-called Global South.
- Credibility: having a common regional framework adds to Wikimedia's presence in Ibero-America in the way of a concerted body, enabling us to develop partnerships and projects on the regional level
- Organizational maturity and effectiveness: sharing experiences between organizations with different levels of organizations will help especially to the youngest groups to strength their organizations and implement good practices.
- Financial sustainability: sources of funding will be explored and discussed, taking into account the specific characteristics of the different countries involved: (a) mechanisms adapted to the annual campaign donation, as input to the WMF, (b) fundraising campaigns alternatives, (c) agreements with other institutions to fund projects on a regional level.
We expect to have some attention from local media but also from different organizations interested in engaging with a coordinated group of Wikimedians in Latin America, just like in previous events as EducaRed with Telefónica.
Also, we believe this could be a good opportunity to engage more local volunteers in the activities of Wikimedia Chile, taking part in the organization of the event, and to reach new members through the International Wikimedia Meeting to be hosted on Sunday afternoon.
Measures of successEdit
The outcomes of this summit will be published on Meta in the working languages of the group and also in English. At least, we expect the following results:
- Design of an strategic plan for Ibero-American educational institutions within the Wikimedia movement.
- Declaration of Ibero-American chapters and working groups about the status of the Wikimedia Movement, especially in developing countries (the so-called Global South).
- Coordinated strategy between chapters and working groups for Wiki Loves Monuments 2012.
In the long term, we expect that some of the participant working groups can be recognized as Wikimedia chapters.
Team members (optional)Edit
- Board members of Wikimedia Chile.
- Osmar Valdebenito - president
- Dennis Tobar - secretary
- Volunteers of Wikimedia Chile.
- Other members of Iberocoop affiliated entities.