Grants:PEG/Vishwanatha Badikana/Kannada Wikipedia Thirteen years Celebrations
- 1 Goal
- 2 Plan
- 3 Resources and risks
- 4 Budget
- 5 Discussion
To commemorate 13 years of Kannada Wikipedia and to strengthen Kannada Wikipedia community, its outreach efforts. To increase reach of Kannada Wikipedia through print and electronic media, social networking.
- Focused editathons at 4 locations - Sagara, Mysore, Mangalore and Bangalore. 100 new articles on Kannada Wikipedia.
- Focused Editathon at Mangalore - Theme - Female Writers and Achievers of Karnataka - Date of the Workshop fixed 0n 10th, 11th and 12th December 2015.
- Focused Editathon at Bangalore - Theme - Science Article - Date of the Workshop fixed 0n 19th and 20th December 2015.
- Focused Editathon at Sagara - Theme - Mechanical Engineering - Date of the Workshop fixed on 25th, 26th and 27 January 2016.
- Focused Editathon at Mysore - Theme - History of Kannada Literature - Date of the Workshop fixed on 11th, 12th and 13th January 2016.
- Spread news about Kannada Wikipedia across print and electronic media. 10 media mentions.
- Four projects on Kannada Wikipedia.
- Photo competition for Wikimedians with a target of 50 theme based images.
- Installing Offline Wikipedia (Kiwix) at places without internet (at least 10 locations).
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
- Increasing reach
- Creating partnerships to target offline populations (Schools and colleges without internet)
- Spreading the word about Wikimedia projects to a general audience with no follow-up (press and media)
- Increasing participation
- Woman focused editing
- Increasing quality
- Add images to Karnataka specific articles
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- About 80 new editors are expected to be generated by these 4 pre-event editathons.
- At least 40 existing Wikipedians participating in the event.
- At least 100 quality, properly referenced articles on Kannada Wikipedia.
- At least one project involving women participation.
- At least 50 quality images uploaded as part of this event.
Resources and risksEdit
- All 4 locations have active Kannada Wikipedians
- Being faculty at college, and active team working on Kannada Wikipedia
- No history exists of conducting such a large scale event.
- Lack of relevant experience.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget tableEdit
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost INR||Total cost USD||Notes|
|1||Pre-event||Transportation||3 people 4 locations||12||5,000||60,000||$919||Transportation for 3 people to 4 locations|
|2||Pre-event||Food||4 places, 10,000 at each location||4||10,000||40,000||$610||Food for participants at four pre-event editathons|
|3||Banners, Pamphlets, Handouts, etc||Miscellaneous costs||Miscellaneous costs||4||2,500||10,000||$150||Miscellaneous costs|
|4||Event day||Transportation||per person||varies||varies||66,000||$1006||Estimating 30 outsiders with 1500 as TA, 30 people from closeby locations with 500 as TA and 40 locals with 200 as TA|
|5||Event day||Accommodation||per person||30||1,500||45,000||$686||Accomodation for out station participants|
|6||Event day||Food||per person||100||300||30,000||$457||Food for all participants|
|7||Event day||Miscellaneous costs||-||-||-||10,000||$150||Miscellaneous costs|
|8||Event day||SWAGs (Bag and flash drive)||per person||500||100||50,000||$762||SWAG|
Total cost of projectEdit
INR 311,000/4,740.81 USD
Total amount requestedEdit
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program.
INR 311,000/4,740.81 USD
Additional sources of revenueEdit
Additional sources of revenue, other than the Project and Event Grants Program, that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded.
- In kind support in terms of venue, publicity, etc.
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Supply of Wikipedia branding souvenirs like stickers etc.,
- A blog post in Wikimedia blog regarding the thirteen years of Kannada Wikipedia.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- --BHARUAB (talk) 10:13, 6 November 2015 (UTC)
- Project will be of very much help to spread awareness about Wikipedia and will help to attract more contributors and content. A lot of content is expected to be added as a part of this project and many editors will get trained at different geographical locations to help is quality editing. Vikashegde (talk) 14:02, 9 November 2015 (UTC)
- This project will help Kannada Wikipedia in multiple ways. Content and community growth will be the result of this project and I fully support this.-Pavanaja (talk) 10:07, 21 November 2015 (UTC)
- Support It is heartening to see that the Kannada community has decided to engage community members both new and old on multiple levels. I wish the idea every success and support the plan. --Lahariyaniyathi (talk) 14:34, 25 November 2015 (UTC)
- Support--Rahmanuddin (talk) 14:39, 25 November 2015 (UTC)
- Support --Ananth subray (talk) 08:01, 30 November 2015 (UTC)