Grants:PEG/UG MAI/Wiki Loves Earth 2016 in Nepal/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
Maithili Wikimedians reached Pokhara, Nepal to promote and aware photographers about the Wiki Loves Earth 2016 in Nepal competition. The members of Maithili Wikimedians User group organized a one day outreach program for the competition. This is first outreach program in Pokhara, Nepal related to wikimedia movement.
Maithili Wikimedians reached Ilam, Nepal to promote and aware photographers about the Wiki Loves Earth 2016 in Nepal competition. The members of Maithili Wikimedians User group organized a one day outreach program for the competition. This is first outreach program in Ilam, Nepal related to Wikimedia movement.
Outreach program in Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve, NepalEdit
Maithili Wikimedians reached Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve, Nepal to promote and aware about the Wiki Loves Earth 2016 in Nepal competition. The members of Maithili Wikimedians User group organized a one day outreach program for the competition.
To felicitate the winners of the Wiki Loves Earth 2016 in Nepal, Maithili Wikimedians organized an event on 9th July, 2016.
|Timing||Session||Topics to be covered||Coordinator/Resource Person|
|☼ 2:30 pm - 3:00 pm||Registration||Tulsi Bhagat|
|☼ 3:00 pm - 3.15 pm||Welcome & Introduction||
|☼ 3:15 pm - 3:30 pm||Open Content||Impact and importance of Wikimedia Projects||Saroj Dhakal|
|☼ 3:30 pm - 3.40 pm||Competition Overview||Statistics and Competition overview||Biplab Anand|
|☼ 3.40 am – 4:10 pm||Prize distribution||Prize distribution of Winners||WLE 2016 in Nepal Participant|
|☼ 4:15 pm – 4.30 pm||Participant speech||Individual speech by Winners||WLE Participant|
|☼ 4.30 pm - 4:45 pm||☕ High Tea/Coffee Break|
|☼ 4:45 pm - 5:00 pm||Ending Note||Thanking||Zeetendra Shah, Bijay Chaurasia and Pankaj Deo|
|☼ 5.00 pm - 5.10 pm||Guest speech and Closing||Closing cermony||Nirmal Dulal|
- What worked well?
- The well established arrangements of WLE 2016 in Nepal worked well.
- The energetic team strength and management.
- Regular Meetups.
- What didn't work?
- We missed to add google registration form before the beginning of the competition at the commons landing page, that lacks us to gathered information about the participants.
- Low percentage of image used from the competition uploads in various Wikimedia projects.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- Get more enthusiastic local wikipedians into the team.
- Organize a Photo-a-thon, that helps to increase photo usage in various Wikimedia projects.
- We will make Online registration compulsory for the participants before the competition starts.
- More outreach events.
- Collaboration between photography teams, photography association and tourism ministry of Nepal.
Outcomes and impactEdit
See the event related pages for outcomes and impact of the competition:
- Wiki Loves Earth 2016 in Nepal
- First Meetup
- Second Meetup
- Wiki Loves Earth 2016 in Nepal
- Wiki Loves Earth 2016 in Nepal Felicitation Program
- Blog Draft
- Meet the winners
- Provide the original project goal here.
- To increase and improve the amount of freely-licensed material related to Nepal protected natural sites in Wikimedia Commons. We should encourage the Photographer to get in to this so that they can become regular uploader, contributors to Wikimedia Commons and Wikimedia Projects.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- The goal has been achieved. We organized three outreach program of Wiki Loves Earth in different parts of Nepal with enthusiastic photographers and students. We also trained them about commons and Wikimedia sister projects. The amount of freely-licensed materials related to Nepal protected natural sites and number of contributors increased.
Progress towards targets and goalsEdit
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|At least 1300 natural photographs uploaded to commons from all over Nepal.||2272 natural photographs uploaded to commons.||Target reached.|
|At least 50 new contributors takes part in the competition.||210 newly registered users takes part in the competition and upload their images to commons.||Target reached.|
|Coverage of the event in mass media reports and other channels of outreach.||The coverage of the event reported in national daily newspapers of Nepal and online blogs.||Target reached.|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||45||active contributor that takes part in the competition.|
|2. # of new editors||210 Stats||more than our expectation.|
|3. # of individuals involved||255|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||50+||we are adding some quality images to Wikipedia articles.|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (Optional)||2272 Stats||uploaded to commons|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||5+|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||n/a|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- Yes, We can see this from the involvement of the contributors after the outreach and social media chats. Some of the contributors are uploading their images regularly to commons.
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
- Maithili Wikimedians increases participation of users on Wikimedia Commons as well other Wikimedia projects.
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
- Maithili Wikimedians are improving the quality of Wikimedia projects by making images available for uses in articles.
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
- Maithili Wikimedians aware the new users to increase the participation in one or more Wikimedia projects.
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Outreach program at Pokhara||Travel expenses (Both ways)||7,100||7,100||NPR|
|2||Outreach program at Pokhara||Accommodation, Food and Beverages||1 day and night||7,200||7,200||NPR|
|3||Outreach program at Ilam||Travel expenses (Both ways)||5,500||5,500||NPR|
|4||Outreach program at Ilam||Accommodation, Food and Beverages||1 day and night||6,000||6,000||NPR|
|5||Outreach program at Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve||Traveling expenses (Both ways)||4,200||4,200||NPR|
|6||Outreach program at Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve||Accommodation, Food and Beverages||1 day and night||2,400||2,400||NPR|
|7||Printing||Certificate, Batch, Token and Banner||15,585||15,585||NPR|
|8||Prizes & Awards||T-shirt||23,675||23,675||NPR|
|9||Kathmandu Felicitation Program||Travel expenses (Both ways)||16,000||16,000||NPR|
|10||Kathmandu Felicitation Program||Venue, Snacks, Breakfast and coffee||80||34,126||34,126||NPR|
|11||Kathmandu Felicitation Program||Accommodation, Food and Beverages||9,857||9,857||NPR||Pre-event meetup food expenses added|
|12||Prizes & Awards||Winners of WLE 2016 in Nepal||35,000||35,000||NPR||1st,2nd, 3rd and Top Uploader)|
|13||Postal Charge||Courier charge||800||800||NPR|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 1,66,985 NPR
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- 1,66,985 NPR
- Total amount spent on this project
- 1,68,693 NPR
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- 1,68,693 NPR
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- 1,708 NPR
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT