Grants:PEG/UG GR/European Science Photo Competition Greece 2015/Report
Project status edit
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learned edit
- Preparations for the contest
- Drafted a set of rules for participation to the contest 
- Selected the members of the jury committee.  It included a research director from the National Center for Scientific Research, a board member of the Hellenic Photographic Society, a curator from the Museum of Photography in Thessaloniki, the online director from a US based journal and three experienced wikimedians.
- Launched a website at http://sciencephoto.wikimedia.gr/
- Communicated the contest through the greek WP village pump, a centralnotice, facebook, twitter, and a press release.
- Also, Glavkos gave a presentation about the contest at http://fosscomm.teiath.gr/ on Nov. 6.
- During the contest we organised visits to
- Images were collected in category
- Selection of winners
- Selection was delayed for more than a month because we did not have access or any news on the jury tool that was promised.
- A new jury tool was installed on configured in a personal web server.
- Selected images that were not elligible according the rules of the contest (inelligible subject, low resolution) 
- Part of the jury held a prejury round giving scores to all images.
- Second round was held with the top 20% of the images from first round. The whole jury scored 101 images . The top 10 images were selected as winners. 
- Award ceremony and editathon
- We sought for a free and appropriate venue for the award ceremony and editathon. We got a conference room in the National Center for Scientific Research Demokritos.
- Printed posters and certificates, arranged for catering, and travelling for volunteers and winners.
- Announced the event through the greek WP village pump, a centralnotice, facebook, twitter, and a press release.
- The award ceremony and editathon were held in February 26th. The winners were interviewd by the govmt news channel 
Lessons learned edit
- What worked well?
- We were able to do it!
- Good level of images contributed to Commons
- Arrangements to visit research institutions were successful
- Members of the community became more active for the needs of the competition.
- The grant application process, the support and financial management from WMF.
- What didn't work?
- The centralnotice banner had a generic message, and especially in english it was not making it clear that it was about a competition in Greece. The landing page also did not give many clues to readers on how they can participate. When we asked for a specialized local centralnotice, we saw a 600% raise on participation. But that was on the last week.
- A jury tool was not delivered on time. We delayed until being able to install another tool on our own and configure it ad hoc according to the needs of the jury.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
Learning patterns edit
Outcomes and impact edit
- Provide the original project goal here.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
Progress towards targets and goals edit
|Project metrics||Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Numbers of photos uploaded: 500||730|
|50 participants uploading one or more pictures||156|
|At least 20 new users participating in the contest||~150||It seems that some user accounts preexisted as wikipedia accounts but have never uploaded a file in commons. They are still accounted as "new users".|
|3 months after the event 5% of participants are still editing||17%||27 users had at least 1 edit after February 28th.|
|3 months after the event, 100 (or 20%) of the uploaded photos are used on wiki projects||81|
|6 months after the event, 30 (and 6%) of uploaded photos are categorized as valued, 10 (and 2%) as quality, and 5 (and 1%) as featured||2 Valued Images, 11 Quality Images, 0 featured|
Global Metrics edit
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||156|
|2. # of new editors||67 / 150||Strictly speaking there were 67 newly registered accounts, but 87 more users had registered before but they had never uploaded a file in Wikimedia Commons.|
|3. # of individuals involved||174||participants + jury + user group members + contacts/coordinators in research institutions|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||81|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||730||Remaining files. A number of 20-30 more images that were uploaded through the campaign were deleted as out of scope, or copyvio.|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||0||This project focused solely on collecting images, the goal was not to write articles.|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||277821.0|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- The outreach impact of the project was quite impressive in the sense that those who contributed were not Wikipedeans/Wikimedians, but mostly people from the community of scientists in Greece or amateur photographers. From conversations that we had with them both on line and during the award ceremony, they were very willing to participate or help to other Wikimedia photography contests. And of course we kept lists with all the contacts so we can do the follow up when needed.
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
Reporting and documentation of expenditures edit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Travelling expenses||Train ticket||ticket||1.00||42.00||42.00||500.00||EUR||This is the first ticket by train for the presentation of the competition in Fosscomm 2015|
|2||Fees, commissions etc||Bank commission for Grant's incoming trasfer wire||bank commission||1.00||3.00||3.00||50.00||EUR||Net incoming transfer was 2.102,00 after subtracting the commission|
|3||Travelling expenses||Air ticket||ticket||1.00||66.00||66.00||500.00||EUR||Air ticket Samos-Athens for the 7th winner of the contest for edit-a-thon & the award ceremony|
|4||Travelling expenses||Air ticket||ticket||1.00||83.29||83.29||500.00||EUR||Air ticket Athens-Samos (return)|
|5||Travelling expenses||Air ticket||ticket||1.00||166.29||166.29||500.00||EUR||Air return ticket Corfu-Athens for a member of organizing team for edit-a-thon & the award ceremony|
|6||Travelling expenses||Air ticket||ticket||1.00||75.30||75.30||500.00||EUR||Air return ticket Thessaloniki-Athens for a member of organizing team for the award ceremony|
|7||Fees, commissions etc||Bank commission for bank transfer for Corfu air ticket||bank commission||1.00||3.15||3.15||50.00||EUR||Commission paid for the wire transfer|
|8||Travelling expenses||Train ticket||ticket||1.00||42.00||42.00||500.00||EUR||Train return ticket Larissa-Athens for a member of organizing team for the award ceremony|
|9||Travelling expenses||2 bed hotel room||overnight stay for 2 persons||1.00||55.00||55.00||500.00||EUR||Overnight stay in a hotel for 2 persons of the organizing team after the award ceremony. We had a shortage of 29.88 EUR on this category covered by the Incidentals.|
|10||Certificates||Quality paper||package||1.00||10.95||10.95||10.00||EUR||Quality paper for certificates. We had a shortage of 0,95 EUR on this category covered by the Incidentals.|
|11||Awards||2d award||item||1.00||300.00||300.00||900.00||EUR||bank transfer for 2nd award|
|12||Fees, commissions etc||Bank transfer fee||bank commission||1.00||2.15||2.15||50.00||EUR||Bank transfer fees for 2d award Kaminari|
|13||Awards||3d award||item||1.00||200.00||200.00||900.00||EUR||bank transfer for 3nd award|
|14||Awards||1st award||item||1.00||400.00||400.00||900.00||EUR||cash payment for 1st award (hand written receipt)|
|15||Catering||catering served during the edit-a-thon and Award ceremony||person||50.00||7.38||369.00||300.00||EUR||This invoice was paid also with cash due to daily transaction limits via e-banking. We had a shortage of 69.00 EUR on this category, also covered by the Incidentals.|
|16||Posters||posters with the logo and the awarded photographs||unit||10.00||19.30||193.00||210.00||EUR||the printing press issued 2 receipts (94.00 + 99.00 = 193.00 EUR).|
|17||Posters||stickers for posters||package||1.00||1.80||1.80||210.00||EUR||stickers to attach the posters on frames during the award ceremony|
|18||Posters||Poster send via courier service||package||1.00||11.05||11.05||210.00||EUR||Poster send via courier service to the 9th winner of the competition to Ioannina city|
|18||Posters||Wrapper||item||1.00||1.19||1.19||210.00||EUR||Paper cylinder for postal package|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 2105.00 EUR
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- 2105.00 EUR
- Total amount spent on this project
- 2.025.17 EUR
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- 2.025.17 EUR
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
Remaining funds edit
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- 79.83 EUR
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT