Grants:PEG/Shipmaster - Community of Arabic Wikipedia/Producer Prize-2013/Report
Compliance and completionEdit
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Is your project completed?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Did you use any of the grant funds?
- Answer YES or NO.
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
This section describes what the grantee did, and what the grantee learned from implementing the project. This section should be useful to others implementing similar projects and is an opportunity for the grantee to reflect on the project's performance.
- Provide a detailed list of activities performed to complete this project, descriptions of these activities, and the amount of time spent on each activity. This section should also include a list of participants, or a link to pictures, blog posts, or videos from the project or event.
- Producer prize is a half-annual prize which is awarded to the participants who made significant contributions to one or more of the Arabic Wikimedia projects during each round.
- What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects? Consider the following questions and respond with 1 - 2 paragraphs.
- What went well?
- Running mid-term competitions can help retaining editors
- Offering monetary prize can motivate users to generate new and high quality content
- What did not go well?
- Granting the prize only to the top participants made some of the other participants upset despite that they were already informed of the participation condition.
- There were money transfer issues to some winners because their countries does not support usual money transfer standards (e.g Paypal is not available in Egypt)
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- Research different ways of delivering prize to make it easier for countries that do not have easy electronic money transfers.
Project goal and measures of successEdit
This section should reference the project goals and measures of success described in the approved grant submission. See Grants:PEG/Shipmaster - Community of Arabic Wikipedia/Producer Prize-2013 to review the goals and metrics listed in the approved submission.
- Provide the project goal here.
- Contribute to a better quality and quantity Arabic contents on the Internet within the scope of Wikimedia projects.
- Provide monetary prizes to users in order to enable them continue their on-wiki activities.
- Promote the spirit of competition among the participants.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 paragraphs.
- Most of the goals were achieved by creating large amount of new contents and contributing to boosting the quality of existing articles by the participants.
- Most of the participants in the contest showed high commitment during the contest period of six months, and many of them continued contributing to the Arabic Wikipedia after the end of the contest, and became prolific editors to the project.
Measures of successEdit
- List the measures of success exactly as provided in the approved grant submission, and evaluate your project according to each measure listed there.
- Looking at the previous rounds we aim for the year 2013 to achieve the following as measure of our success.
- 20 submissions
- 1000 new articles
- 10 Featured contents
- 200 photos
- Provide an overall assessment of how your project went according to these measures.
- Over two rounds of Producer Prize in 2013 (each round lasted for six months) 23 users were registered to participate, and 15 users submitted their contributions.
- The nature of contributions varied form creating stubs, uploading photos, to preparing featured articles or portals. Some of the contributions statistics include :
- Creating 4200 new articles
- Developing 15 featured articles, and 6 good articles, and 3 featured portals
- Uploading 1060 images to Wikimedia commons
- Creating 230 new templates, and 1320 new category
- Referencing 188, wikifying 240, categorizing 1230, de-orphanizing 55 articles, and expanding 260 stubs.
- If you were to plan a similar project, would you measure it differently? If yes, please explain how.
- No, I think the measure proved to be a successful way of evaluating the project.
This section ties this project to Wikimedia's broader goals, and shows what the project accomplished.
- What impact did this project have on WMF's mission and the strategic goals? Please answer in 1 -2 paragraphs and include specific measures of impact such as the number of readers or editors reached by a particular project, or the number of articles edited or improved.
- This project contributed to the increase of participation on the Arabic Wikipedia, which most of its editors are either located in developing countries, or they edit articles to readers in developing countries.
- The contest contributed to the increase of quality of content, where each participant set a minimum size limit for newly created articles, and many participants contributed a large amount of their time to maintenance work and expanding existing articles.
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
- These expenses should be listed in the same format as the budget table in your approved submission so that anyone reading this report may be able to easily compare budgeted vs. actual expenses.
- Note that variances in the project budget over 10% per expense category must be approved in advance by Project and Event Grants program staff. For all other variances, please provide an explanation in the table below.
- 1st round - 1st prize : $500 (WMF Grant from last year)
- 1st round - 2nd prize : $0 (donated by Winner)
- 1st round - 3rd prize : $0 (donated by winner)
- 2nd round - 1st prize : $500 ($75 WMF grant from last year, $425 community donation)
- 2nd round - 2nd prize : $250 (community donation)
- 2nd round - 3rd prize : $100 (community donation)
- Total = $1350 (WMF Grant Money used was $575, which is the exact amount that remained from last year).
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if the Project and Event Grant is your only funding source)
- Total amount spent on this project (this total should be the total calculated from the table above)
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project (this total will be the same as the total amount spent if the Project and Event Grant is your only funding source)
- Are there additional sources of revenue that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Yes, Community donations.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- No funds remaining.
- Contest page, including announcements and regulations, on Arabic Wikipedia