Grants:PEG/Harish Satpute/Hackathon IIT Bombay 2016
This Wikimedia Foundation grant has a fiscal sponsor. The Centre for Internet & Society administered the grant on behalf of Harish Satpute.
- 1 Goal
- 2 History
- 3 Mumbai Marathi Wikipedia Group
- 4 Plan
- 5 Resources and risks
- 6 Budget
- 7 Discussion
This event focuses on conducting Hackathon at Indian Institute Of Technology (IIT) Bombay, Mumbai. IIT Bombay is the primer technological institute in India. Mumbai. Wikipedia IIT Bombay Hackathon event is in its 3rd year. Started from 2014 this event is conducted every year in the month of June.
The objective of this event is to develop technical solution based on the Wikimedia, Wikidata and Indic language Wikipedia. The event is usually organize in the mid- week of month of June, where more than 50 participants contribute. Half of the participants are student selected from top ranking engineering colleges from all over India and remaining half from community participation. This helps to create and spread the awareness of developing tools and technologies based on Wikimedia software and wiki data across the country.
Recently the Marathi language encyclopedia is made copy right free by Govt. of Maharashtra. Marathi Wikipedia community is in the process of porting the content to Marathi Wikipedia portal. There is acute need to develop small technological tools which will be helpful for automation of the huge porting and normalization work.
Mumbai Marathi Wikipedia GroupEdit
Mumbai Marathi Wikipedia is a very active Wikipedian’s group which regularly conducts various activities focusing Marathi Wikipedia and Wikipedia in general.
Some of the activities which are regularly conducted by this group are as under.
1) Photothon :Edit
Started from 2012 the group is conducting one week Photothon event on “Marathi Language Day” ie. 28th Feb. More than 20,000 photos are donated in last 5 years.
2) Women’s EditathonEdit
To breach the gender gap on Marathi Wikipedia the group has started conducting Women’s Editathon every year on world women’s day. Started from 2014 this activity is in its 3rd year this year which has increased the women’s participation on the Marathi Wikipedia.
3) Reading weekEdit
From Last year 15 October 2015 the group has started an online reading week on Marathi Wikipedia as complementary activity to Government of Maharashtra’s reading day activity.
The group has started conducting Hackathon 2014 for developing small technological tools based on Wikimedia software and wikidata. This activity also creates awareness in the students by involving selected students from top technologic institutes across India. This makes it to spread the technology to other Indic language Wikipedia and student community across the country.
Wikipedia IIT Bombay Hackathon 2014Edit
First Wikipedia Hackathon organized at IIT Bombay and more than 30 developers including students from top engineering colleges across India participated. The main theme for development in 2014 Hackathon was WikiData. Most of the participant used WikiData and Wikipedia API.
Photo Gallery 
Wikipedia IIT Bombay Hackathon 2015Edit
Second year Hackathon 2015 saw overwhelming response with vibrant participation from professional developers and students across country. This year CIS A2K India generously provided financial support which help to arrange program on bigger level. 50 participants participated in the event. Photo gallery
Most of the above activities had been covered by leading Marathi News Papers.
Half of the participation will be coming through selected students from top technological institute across India. Also there will be participation from professional developers and community.
- Plan of the event (before 30th of April) .
- Definition of the program session (before 30th of April).
- Orientation of new technology on Wikimedia and Wikidata for students.(before 10th june)
- Idea collection for Hackathon.(before 17th June)
- Organization of infrastructure (before 22nd June)
- Execution of the event(on 26th June).
- Feedback discussion with participants.(before 1st July)
Organization of the eventEdit
The event is planned as following:
- 08:00-08:30 Registration
- 08:30-08:45 Opening
- 08:45-09:45 1st Session
- 09:45-10:00 Break
- 10:00-11:00 2nd Session
- 11:00-13:00 Hackathon Starts.
- 13:00-14:00 Lunch
- 14:00-16:00 Hackathon continues.
- 16:00-16:30 Break
- 16:30-18:30 Hackathon continues.
- 18:30-19:30 Application presentation.
- 19:30-20:00 closing address, cake cutting, feedback, group photo.
- 20:00 dinner
This event will have impact on
- Marathi Wikipedia
- English Wikipedia
- Wiki Commons.
Fit with strategyEdit
This event would act on several strategically points:
- Increasing reach:
This events will involve several young students. Making them aware of Wikipedia API, Wikimedia, WikiData projects and features . Most of the participants are from different parts of India so this event will increase its outreach of Wikipedia community across the India. This will help grow Wikipedia community with young students who can continue this awareness at their college.
- Increasing participation:
This event will have 40-50 young participants. Our expectation is to create young users who not only contribute with content but also they should spread the awareness of Wikipedia and its other project which are enrich in terms of technology and tools.
Measures of successEdit
- 40-50 participants.
- Student’s participation from top technology institute across the India.
- We expect some of the technical ideas to be cultivated to the level of proof of concept during Hackathon.
- Focus is on creating volunteers who will be aware of Wikipedia and other projects more technically and can spread this awareness to other part of India.
Resources and risksEdit
Resources we have
- Organizing event at IIT Bombay is itself resourceful in terms of active participation and infrastructure require.
- Location is easily reachable for outside Mumbai participants.
- IIT Bombay has got beautiful location with Powai Lake on one side and hill on other.
- It is just 12 km away from Mumbai international and domestic airport and well connected by suborn train, metro and link road.
- High bandwidth internet connectivity.
- On campus accommodation for students.
- 12 people organization community including women wikipediance .
- Impendent vendors and service providers.
- Fully secured environment.
- Active Marathi Wikipedia community support.
Organizing this kind of event at IIT Bombay always get overwhelming participation which may cause slight increase in per participant budget which we will try to restrict. The participation will be by invitation only.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Item description||Unit||Qty||Cost per unit INR||Total cost INR||WMF contribution (INR)||Other sources (INR)||Notes|
|1. Travel costs||41,000.00||39000||2000|
|1.1||Air fair for technical experts and speakers||4||6250||25000||25000||0||This will cover the air fair for 4 invited experts from Beglore, Delhi|
|1.2||Travel cost for a support expert||1||2000||2000||0||2000||This experts is a community member, travelling cost is supported by CSI A2K India|
|1.3||Accommodation for experts and speakers||4||2500||10000||10000||0||Accomodation for 4 invited experts in Powai, Mumbai|
|1.4||local tranportation||4||1000||4000||4000||0||This is the cost for local travel from Airport to venue and back.|
|2. Accommodation and meals||33,000.00||25,000.00||8000|
|2.1||Lunchs||50||200||10,000.00||10,000.00||0||Price for lunch inluding services and taxes. These are the istimated prices based upon previous year billing.|
|2.2||Dinner||50||200||10,000.00||10,000.00||0||Price for dinner inluding services and taxes. These are the istimated prices based upon previous year billing|
|2.3||Breaks||2||2X50||50||5,000.00||5000||0.00||Coffee,tea, Cookies and snacks. There will two break.|
|2.4||SingleRooms||15||300||4,500.00||0||4,500.00||We have booked 15 Rooms. All rooms are already booked by IIT Bombay, they will be alloted to the student participants.|
|2.5||Preparation team housing||7||500||3,500.00||0||3,500.00||This accomodation is booked by IIT Bombay near the venue.|
|3.1||Semi circular Hall||1||10000||10,000.00||0||10,000.00||This semicircular hall is used for opening closing session ,talks, feedback and discussion booked by IIT Bombay.|
|3.2||Foyer||1||7000||7,000.00||0||7,000.00||The Hackathon will be hosted in the foyer where the round tabels arrangement will be made. It is booked by IIT Bombay.|
|3.3||Air Conditionar for Hall||10000||10,000.00||0||10,000.00||The hall airconditining service has to be booked which is booked by IIT Bombay.|
|3.4||Dual Projection System||1||5000||5,000.00||0||5,000.00||The Dual Projection system for the main event, talk and presentation is booked by IIT Bombay.|
|3.5||Audio System||2||5000||10,000.00||0||10,000.00||Two PA systems one for hall and one for Foyer is booked by IIT Bombay.|
|3.6||Video recording of the event||15000||15,000.00||0||15,000.00||All the event is going to be recorded by multi camera setup. The video recording is booked by IIT Bombay.|
|3.7||Wi-Fi||2||5000||10,000.00||0||10,000.00||The WiFi system with including acces points,routers,cable and internet charges(unlimited usage) one for Hall and one for foyer is booked by IIT Bombay.|
|3.8||Seating arrangement ,round table,conference chair , AC power plugs and sockets,etc. for every participants in foyer||50||400||20,000.00||20000||0.00||AC power plugs and sockets for every participants in foyer. The seating arrangement, Conferance chair, round table, fans, creation of ambiance etc. the service provider cost.|
|4. Materials and gifts||13,000.00||12000||1,000.00|
|4.1||T-Shirts||Per participant||50||240||12,000.00||12000||0||Every participant will have at least one t-shirt of Hackthon.|
|4.2||Stickers||Per participant||50||5||250.00||0||250.00||Every participant will given Stickers of Hackthon. The stickers will be provided by IIT Bombay|
|4.3||Badges||Per participant||50||15||750.00||0||750||Badges will be given so that we know the participatents. The Badges will be provided by CIS A2K India.|
|5. Administrative expenses||24,000.00||24000.00|
|5.1||Event logistick and transportation||4000||4,000.00||4000||0.00||This is for the vehicle cost to transfer material to hall and back with labour cost and taxi fair for the preparation team.|
|5.2||Banner , Backdrop and Sign board||10000||10,000.00||10000||0.00||We need a big backdrop for dias, a photo wall, banners, signboards etc. This includes the designing, printing, preparation of frames etc.|
|5.3||Printing, Stationary, Registration Kit||10000||10,000.00||10000||0.00||This includes the registration kit, the name tags, strip, registration counter , stationary, minaral water, for the event and required printing etc.|
- Total cost of project
1,98,000.00 INR/ 2,967.84 USD
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
1,20,000.00 INR/ 1,798.69 USD
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
78,000.00 INR / 1,169.15 USD
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- Ananth subray (talk) 05:12, 15 May 2016 (UTC)
- Santosh Shingare (talk) 08:38, 16 May 2016 (UTC)The purpose of this event is, to train (all over india) engineering students for, develop new application,plugin,extensions / solved bug from phabricator. This event happen every year (train around 50 engineering student) and enriching local wikipedia community. Santosh Shingare (talk) 09:06, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
- Abhinavgarule (talk) 07:54, 17 May 2016 (UTC)
- Events such as these are very important in bridging the gap between editors and technical leadership. This event will pave way for creating a line of technically sound volunteers and identify peer network for them to collaborate and come up with solutions towards the problems that editors face. I strongly endorse the event. Lahariyaniyathi (talk) 11:57, 17 May 2016 (UTC)
- Really great activity running and expanding for 3rd year in a row. This is nice idea to not only develop some technical solutions through Hackathon but also propagate the Mediawki technology at student level across India. It looks a perfect blend of Media wiki technical experts and Engineering students. Full support from Marathi Wikipedia Community and all the best. - Rahuldeshmukh101 (talk) 11:47, 25 May 2016 (UTC)