Grants:PEG/Bojana Wiki PG/Trace of a Soul 2016
Wiki Loves Republika Srpska - Trace of a Soul photo-contests - is a second year of successful organizations foto project about natural and historical riches of the Republika Srpska. Last year there was collected about 2000 photos and was Improved / written 49 articles. Even so, a large part of the monument remained uncovered. This year we want to enhance the project and continue to achieve its goal:
- increase the number free photos related to this monuments on Wikimedia Commons;
- increase the number of articles related to this monuments on Wikipedia;
- popularisation of Wikimedia’s mision and vision in Republica Srpska;
- expand the knowledge of free culture;
- attract new volunteers and community members.
The organizational activities are split-off into three parts. Before the photo collecting all preparations will be done. In the time of photos upload there will be tehnical support and continuation of media promotion. Also, it will be hold three photo tour. After it, the jury will pick up the top 20 best of and winers will get their prizes on special exhibition and prize-giving event. Not forget edit-a-thone!
Activities before the competition:
- grant preparation
- looking for a partners
- updating lists of all the monuments
- updating the website
- send media releases and promotion
- create pages and templates on the Meta and Wikipedia
- updating FB page and Twitter
Activities during the competition:
- tracking input
- categorizing and sorting files on the Meta
- holding photo tours
- send media releases and promotion (2. part)
Activities after the competition:
- selecting images for jury
- preparation for prize giving event
- informing the finalists
- announcement the #Top10
- send media releases and promotion
- printing photos and other paper materials
- time for prize giving event
- writing report
- metrics about the participants
- report on Meta
Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia (especially sr, sh, hr and bs) and indirectly all projects using Wikimedia Commons media files.
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
This project will directly affect the Wikimedia Commons through increased the number of photos of natural and historical monuments of Republica Srpska and and indirectly all projects using Wikimedia Commons media files. Edit-a-thon will have impact on Wikipedia by increasing the quantity and quality of articles. The entire project will be accompanied by an aggressive media campaign and promotion and will promote Wikimedia too. Cooperation with GLAM and other institution shows credibility of Wikimedia through their trust in us and our work. Every project like this one, where we have team, empower cooperation between members. This project will show people and contributors from Republic of Srpska that they also can be active in project and participating in global movement activities. This means that they can contribute not just online (editing Wikimedian projects) but offline as well (such as organizing this project).
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
- 2000 photos
- 80 participants
- <10% photos will be used in Wikipedia in first 7 weeks after the competition
- 20 media coverage
- community will be stronger than now
- 20 new articles will be written or Improved
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risksEdit
Wikimedians of Republic of Srpska constitute the officially recognized group of users and editors of Wikimedia projects in Republic of Srpska. Official name of the group is Wikimedia Community of Republic of Srpska. Community is conceptualized and founded as a non-governmental, non-profit and non-party oriented group which achieves its goals in exclusively non-profit manner. It was officially recognized on 6th of October 2015, but from 2013 there is progres and projects. Wikimedia community of Republic of Srpska currently has 50 members. Group has already finished one photo-competition project called “Traces of Soul 2015”, two educational projects with 9 workshops and 2 photo tour, 2 edit-a-thin, 2 seminar and 1 conference. Also, the grup has organize one local Wiki conference and took part in organizing local celebration of Wikipedia Day 2016. Group had over 31 internal meetings and has already participated in events on international level. Earlier experiences acquired during project implementation on the territory of Republic of Srpska show that more serious obstacles are general unawareness and lack of information so events like this one represent crucial element in formation of strong foundation for later work and projects, but for Republic of Srpska Wikimedia community building as well. Project will be realized by organizing team, voted by the Community as most fitting due to their experience and territorial distribution. In charge of project organization and realization are:
- Bojana Podgorica - professor, theater collaborator, member of Wikimedia community since 2010. She organized several workshops, meetings and edit-a-thons, member of a EduWiki project in Republika Srpska, co-founder of Wikimedians of Republic of Srpska user group.
- Ljubiša Malenica - member of the Wikimedia community since March 2015. Has experience in organization of conferences and meetings. Holds title of Master in International relations and diplomacy.
- Last year we have had problem with Internet conection during the edit-a-thone. In order to cut this risk we will provide a few alternative terms.
- The number of participants may be less than expected and planned. In order to minimize this risk, we will put more progres in promotion of the project.
- The number of photos we will hold more photo-tours than last year.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||WMF||Notes|
|1||Preparation||Preparation||-||-||200||200||EUR||200||phone, internet, bus card, postal costs, etc.|
|2||Photo tour||Photo tour in Višegrad and places near it||3||5-8 people||30||90||EUR||90||For sandwich and gasoline|
|3||Prizes||I, II and III prizes||2 package||2||600||1200||EUR||1200||6 technical gadgets or 6 vouchers: (I -300€; II - 200€ III -100€)|
|4||Prize giving event||Venue||1||1||200||200||EUR||200|
|hotel for jury||200||200||EUR||200|
|travel expenses for the jury||200||200||EUR||200|
|printing of promotional materials||50||EUR||50|
|5||T-shirts||T-shirts||1||20||7||140||EUR||140||T-shirts are for volunteers and consolation prizes for the 4 and 5 place. One t-shirt for a best article in edit-a-thon.|
|7||Edit-a-thon||1||50||50||EUR||50||snacks and refreshments|
|8||Miscellaneous and reserves||100||100||EUR||100|
Please note: Budget has decreased by 5% compared to last year and a number of activities has increased.
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Project is announced on the following places
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- For grantees
If you are the grantee or representative that wrote this grant submission, you may request changes by using these links: